“Wedding Weekend woes!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hauppauge
Leicester, Massachusetts
“Wedding Weekend woes!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I recently stayed at the UPSKY for a wedding. I agree with others...the place needs an overhaul and a good cleaning. While the suite was spacious enough to allow our guests to hang out, i couldn't have anyone sit on a couple of the chairs...they were filthy and the legs were broken. The couch and it's pullout bed (if you could call it a bed) was in despicable condition. if they would move things and vacuum and dust, it would make a world of difference! I was also kind of afraid to go swimming...water was cloudy and didn't look like anyone skimmed it in a while...
Probably will never go back even though the staff was very helpful!

1 Thank MamaDuch1
Dean S S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Hauppauge-Long Island, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our property. We are glad to hear you found the suites to be spacious and that our staff was helpful. We do apologize for the condition of the room in which you stayed. I have passed along your feedback to our housekeeping and maintenance team. I welcome you to contact directly at dsandbrook@upskyli.com should you wish to discuss your experience in more detail and do hope that you will contact me should your travels bring you back our way.

Many thanks,
Dean Seabrook, Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Front Royal, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed over Memorial Day holiday for two nights. There was some type of kids sporting competition or event in the area. We initially thought it was nice that families were spending a holiday together. That was before we arrived back at the hotel after our day trip. While in our room, we heard children running through the hallways screaming and carrying on. When I poked my head outside the door, I saw large groups of unsupervised children moving furniture from their room into the hallways and spinning down the hallway on a desk chair. Hotel security was dealing with a drunk parent in the hallway, handing him a broom and watching as he swept a huge amount of food garbage from the floor of the room into the hallway. When we went to work out in the fitness room, there were children climbing and playing on the treadmills unsupervised. Hotel security put them out, but they came back aft

By midnight, we had enough of the noise and I went down to the lobby to request a room change. Upon entering the lobby, there were literally hundreds of children running around, climbing on furniture, yelling and screaming. Many of the adults, presumably some were parents, drinking and drunk while the children ran wild. The hotel staff did nothing--probably couldn't do anything They did switch our room which was a good thing because we found it to be dirty. While the replacement room was quieter, it wasn't any cleaner. Cigarette burns in the filthy carpet and hair in the shower (not ours!). The next night, we awoke to drunks playing loud music in the room next to us and seemingly enjoying sexual activity. That makes sense since the desk chair had an interesting white/clear glaze on it and I decided to do my writing in the bed rather than sit in that chair.

The parking lot was trashed with garbage everywhere and they leave the dumpster gate open for all to see in case you were not grossed out enough. Don't be fooled by the Motor Parkway front area of the building and its decent presentation. Drive around the back and see what I mean. As others have commented, the place smells musty and from cigarettes at all the common doors to the parking lot where the smokers congregate.

They gave us a coupon for two free breakfasts. Quite frankly, I would be scared to eat there based upon the level of care provided at this property. We discarded them and went to Bagel Chalet in Commack for a real breakfast!

It's unfortunate that this former Sheraton property (some of the Sheraton logos are still visible inside the hallways) has fallen into such a state. Long Island was and always will be home to me, but this property does not represent it well at all. Too bad there are so few good places to stay when we visit.

2 Thank Steven S

Travellers are raving about these Hauppauge hotels

Nice, France
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed several times in this hotel. I keep coming back due to the very nice staff. The rooms are large and well equipped. The hotel is very quiet. Nice breakfast. You feel that the staff cares about you. Free parking. Easy to reach most places on Long Island as the hotel is so close to the motorway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the UpSky Long Island Hotel. We are thrilled your return visits are because of our nice staff and yes, we really do care about our guests! Our large rooms are popular with our guests who also appreciate the breakfast and free parking you mentioned. We are happy you find the location convenient and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

With many thanks,
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Musty smell throughout hotel. In need of major facelift. Common area bathrooms were dirty. Rooms need a lot of work. Leaky appliances in bathroom, stained carpets and peeling wall paper. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
The management and staff at the UpSky Long Island appreciate your taking time to review our property. We thank you for your compliments to our staff and are happy you found them friendly and helpful. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the property itself and we do hope to embark on updates to the property in the future. We will share more information on that as it becomes available. Meanwhile, we look forward to having you as our guests again in the future.

Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were at the Upsky this past weekend for a dance competition. On arrival, we were greeted by broken wine glasses, cigarette buttes, and empty beer bottles on the carpet right outside the entrance. That should have been a warning. The lobby bathroom was just as bad- outside of the bathroom were trays of dirty glasses, beer bottles on the floor and trash all over. Inside the bathroom there were half-filled glasses of alcohol, empty beer bottles, and more trash. Honestly, it was filthy. I emptied out the alcohol in the bathroom because I was at an event with lots of children and that amount of alcohol everywhere was disgracefulness. The rooms we were in to get ready for the competition were filthy and cluttered with things from other events. Several of the moms who stayed at the hotel mentioned how filthy their rooms were when they arrived.

1 Thank dancemom1978
Dean S S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Hauppauge-Long Island, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
On behalf of the Upsky Long Island hotel we sincerely apologize for the conditions you encountered on your recent visit to our property. I have passed along your comments to our housekeeping team and appreciate you sharing them with us. Should you wish to discuss this or any other aspect of you stay with us please do contact me directly at dsandbrook@upskyli.com.

Warm regards,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for many years and although there are areas that need updating, my room was clean, my bed was comfortable and the food was great! The staff is 5 star at a 3 star establishment and they are quick to assist with just about anything. After reading all of the reviews on this website, I have come to the conclusion that if someone has one bad experience or a request not fulfilled or whatever the case may be that does not favor them, they will bash every single inch of your establishment! I haven't always had a "great" experience but I understand that things happen. These reviews are not an accurate reflection of this hotel at least from my viewpoint.

Room Tip: East Wing higher room numbers are the quietest but furthest from the Lobby/Bar/Restaurant.
1 Thank Rusty T
Dear Rusty, we are happy to have you as our guest again and appreciate your loyalty the hotel. Our team works hard to meet and exceed the needs of our guests and I have shared your feedback with them on their providing the assistance you were looking for. The UpSky Long Island looks forward to having you visit us again in the near future!

Many thanks,
Boxford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It feels a little mean giving this hotel a poor review since I am pretty certain we got the last hotel anywhere in the area. Checking the internet all the travel sites had either one or no hotels, even Priceline ran out of Express deals. Then suddenly one appeared and we got a room at this hotel. This property was once a Sheraton and some of the interior signs still use the old logo. All the hallway carpets were wrinkly and stained--the rooms about the same. We had a room with two doubles so it was not comfortable, the bed was old and we rolled to the middle. Bathroom was small, lots of counter space but to close the door you bumped into the toilet. Alas, there was no hot water. So my husband took a cold shower, I declined. When we complained they said, sorry the water heater went out it should work soon but we were already dressed and checking out.
I must say the bedding was nice, sheets very soft, comforter fluffy. In the room was a $4 bottle of water, outrageous, I thought but in the hallway vending machine they did have $2 water. In the morning there was only coffee from a Starbucks like shop or the full restaurant. The buffet breakfast was expensive and not tempting so we ate elsewhere. Another negative is the rooms look on the interior, we had a pool view. They gym was outfitted nicely but the pool had some bizarre rules so I wonder if anyone ever swims in it.
I understand that when booking through a third party site the service is never very good but for not being able to shower I think they should have made a goodwill gesture of some sort.

Room Tip: I wonder if there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ei442
The team at the UpSky Long Island appreciates your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear you found the bathroom counter space ample and the beds comfortable, soft and fluffy. We apologize for the lack of hot water on the morning of your departure. I welcome your feedback and invite you to contact me directly to discuss the other aspects of your stay at dsandbrook@upskyli.com .

Kind regards,
Dean Sandbrook, Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hauppauge
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Holiday Inn Express Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Residence Inn Long Island Hauppauge/Islandia
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport

Been to Radisson Hotel Hauppauge-Long Island? Share your experiences!