“Farm to table experience.”
Review of Stonecat Cafe

Stonecat Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Hector
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At the Stonecat, it is our belief that food is life. We feel that what people eat is the biggest mark of their culture and a reflection of how they feel about life. We like life in Hector and enjoy waking people up to vibrant, fun food that is grown organically and sustainably. We celebrate the bounty of the Finger Lakes region and focus on regional, sustainable food purveyors and local wine, beer, and craft cocktails. Reservations are highly recommended. Please visit our website for service hours, music listings and special events.
Chicago, Illinois
“Farm to table experience.”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I had to debate with myself on how many stars I'd appoint the stonecat. I have an equal amount of positives and negatives. My husband and I arrived early for our reservation so we sat at the bar for a drink while we waited to be seated. The bar tender seemed to not notice us, and when he did take our drink order he had a hint of arrogance in his tone. I almost sensed that he wasn't concerned with us because we weren't "locals". He seemed to know everyone at the bar except us. I got a specialty cocktail with locally made vodka from Myers farm- yum! Hubby grabbed a local beer they had on draft, which he was happy with. Drink prices were similar to Chicago pricing, which seems unexpected for the region. Once we were seated our waitress immediately asked us if we'd like to start with bread baked in house and olive oil, we said yes only to see on the bill that this was an appetizer and she charged us. The way she said it made it seem complimentary but no big deal it was delicious. Waitress was friendly but she spoke so quietly and sing-song I kept asking her to repeat herself. I'm young and not hard of hearing, but please don't whisper the specials to me. I started with a bowl of asparagus soup and hubby got a cup of a bean and sausage soup. I'm pretty sure they were the same amount just in different serving dishes. My bowl was more like a wide plate. They were both delicious, I mean seriously amazing, but oh my goodness the price for the amount was insane. I grabbed a salad special that featured a local blue cheese and it was absolutely perfect from first bite to last. That's probably the best blue cheese I've ever eaten, I plan on trying to order some online to tide me over until our next visit out. Hubby's dinner was a chicken entree and he was very pleased with the flavors but the piece of chicken was the size of two eggs. My meal was half the price of his and twice the size. No sooner did I take my last bite and the waitress whisked away our plates. We both order dessert and had no complaints there. After the waitress left our check she disappeared. We waited for a bit and finally we went up to the bar and paid. I have to say my biggest complaint would be the lack of dress code. Half of the waitresses were dressed like they were going to a hippie convention and the other half looked like they were dressed for single girls night out. One young girl who seemed to be bussing tables only was dressed so sexy you'd think we were on the beach. Overall despite the seriously limited menu and high prices, I would give this place a second chance. The flavor profile tells me the chef knows what he's doing.

Horseheads, New York
“Not what I was hoping for”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife, sister and her husband stopped by Stonecat for lunch this past weekend. We had always drove past it while doing our wine tours but never stopped in. This time we specifically stopped there for lunch. The place is quaint with a nice view on their deck where we were seated. The service was very good and attentive. We were read the specials and ordered our lunch. I had the special of the day Korean chicken with Jasmin rice and a coleslaw. The waitress said three pieces of chicken but they only gave me two. The Jasmin rice was bland as was the coleslaw. The chicken was good. I had ordered the poutine also which is french fries with brown gravy and cheese curds melted over them. It could have used more cheese curds but the gravy was good. My sister had the felafel wrap which she said was good. My brother-in-law had the turkey sandwich and it was real turkey slices and he said that was good too. My wife had the pulled pork sandwich which she said was ok and it also came with coleslaw that was also very bland. It wasn't a bad meal but for the price and what I had heard about the place it was a let down. I am glad I went there but i doubt that I would go back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank ValleyDrive57
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Our first time in the area and 'Stone Cat' was highly recommended by the locals however our service there was awful. Our waitress was rude and inattentive. We were asking questions about the menu, what/if any substitutions could be made- for allergy reasons. The waitress lacked the knowledge and instead of saying "let me check on that for you" she became very defensive with her replies, even making snide remarks, it set the tone for the rest of the night. Of the 4 dinners ordered, 2 came out hot while the other 2 were warm-ish.
Honestly, it's too bad because the food alone was good but the service left a lot to be desired- I was very excited to eat here but after this experience will unlikely be going back.

Elysburg, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The food was decent and the atmosphere was nice but the menu selections were limited and it's very overpriced. The service staff was friendly but we did have to send a dinner back because of an error so we each took turns watching the other eat. This was our most expensive evening out during our Finger Lakes weekend but we left Stonecat feeling disappointed.

• Visited May 2014
Sidney
“Stonecat is Fantastic!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I drove out to the Finger Lakes for the day. Stonecat Café was suggested as a great place to eat at a distillery we visited. It truly lived up to its recommendation! We loved the menu of organic meals. We found it hard to choose. John chose the organic beef burger and commented it was the best he had ever eaten. Trust me, he's eaten many burgers! I loved the catfish sandwich, and would want to order it again. We will be back, and will definitely recommend Stonecat to anyone traveling in the Seneca Lake area.

• Visited May 2014