“Beautiful comfortable home, amazing views, awesome exp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hector
Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau
Ranked #2 of 2 Hector B&B and Inns
“Beautiful comfortable home, amazing views, awesome exp”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently for our 10yr anniversary and I must say that we were pleasantly surprised. The house is super clean and Lori (the inn keeper) was extremely pleasant. She made great fresh food every morning and even accommodated the vegan couple. She was extremely knowledgable on the area and was quick to interact when she was addressed otherwise she quietly exited the room to leave the couples to enjoy their breakfast and company.
I highly recommend the Chateau to anyone looking for a quiet getaway.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Weatherly, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Our 2nd time back - while a bit dated, it's a comfortable,clean place with a wonderful view and a hearty breakfast. Don't know what others complained about the food - it was always freshly made and hot - the aromas filled the inn. We had 2 totally different breakfasts that were very tasty, including the coffee. Lori always asked if everything was to our satisfaction. If she seemed quiet we felt it was because she was more worried about what she was doing as opposed to socializing with us. She seemed to respect our privacy while fulfilling our needs. When we did ask about the area, she was eager to share menus from local restaurants. Other guests were return visitors as well and seemed quite content. We will go back a 3rd time without question.

Room Tip: Pinot NOir room - has direct access to the deck.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New Hartford, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This Inn is connected to an award winning winery with a beautiful view of the vineyards and lake. The wine is great, and the people are friendly. This was our second stay here in the last few months, and we plan to return. The rates are reasonable, and the rooms are very clean. Lori is the breakfast lady/innkeeper. She will prepare your breakfast anyway you like it. I read other comments about Lori not being friendly enough, but we found her to be very nice, and enjoyed visiting with her. I wasn't very concerned about how friendly the innkeeper is because I didn't go there looking for someone to talk to. I brought my friends with me. I like that the Inn isn't occupied by the owners (like a B&B). We had a great time meeting with the other guests in the 2 living rooms and deck. I guess they ask us to use the slippers to try to keep the place clean. The parking area is not paved so it it is easy to track in mud. Not an issue for me. We found the bedding to be comfortable as well. We also had control over the thermostat which was nice. The short story is that this place is clean, comfortable, affordable, and friendly.

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wine-guy13413
Albany, NY
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this inn several times a year over the past five years. We have family in the area and this has been a very reasonably priced and comfortable place for us to stay. We've stayed in other places in the area, and have found the Inn to be the best value. Thanks to Lori, the current innkeeper, the place is spotless. Cleanliness is very important to me when I travel, and Lori keeps this place gleaming. Unlike the other reviewer I've always found the beds to be very comfortable. In fact, my husband and I generally comment about what good matresses they have. Over the years, I think we've stayed in each of the rooms at least once. I've always found the pillows adequate, but I think that is a very personal thing. I've stayed in very high end B & B's and hotels and have not liked the pillows (I'm used to my own).The breakfasts are generally plentiful but simple fare - bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, or french toast. You won't leave hungry.
I'm a bit surprised by the negative reviews on this site. I think the problem is not with the Inn and not with Lori, but rather with expectations. This is not an owner occupied B & B. You should be clued in to that when they tell you to check in at the winery or if you're going to be late where you can get the key. Perhaps the person taking the reservations should be clearer about this. If you stay here you will not have someone fussing over you or making dinner reservations for you. You will not have someone right there if you have a question. You will not find beautiful antiques - although I find the 1930's/1940's bedroom sets to be rather charming. You will not be greeted at the house or shown to your room. What you will get is one of the most beautiful views on Seneca Lake. In good weather, breakfast on the deck overlooking the lake is fabulous. The rooms are very comfortable and very clean. The staircase and the hardwood floors are lovely. We also think that Lori is an asset. It's disturbing to read these reviews where people are personally attacking her. I have to wonder how they interacted with her. She is an employee - not the owner. Some things are out of her control - like the fact that no one lives on site to welcome guests or that she gets a day off now and then. We've thoroughly enjoyed talking with Lori during our visits and have always found her to be friendly and accommodating. She even sent us home this past visit with half of a freshly baked applesauce cake. I have to wonder how the other reviewers treated Lori - sometimes you get what you give. As for her tattoo - have you looked at half of the people under 50? They're all sporting tattoos. Why is this even relevant in a review about an inn? Again, it seems like the other reviewers were unhappy that this is not an owner occupied B & B and are taking it out on Lori. If you are looking for the full B & B experience, this is probably not the place for you. If you're looking for a very clean, comfortable and quiet place to stay with a great view that is reasonably priced, then I recommend this Inn. We've never had a bad experience here, but then when we travel we often rent houses and apartments so we're used to fending for ourselves. If you want to be waited on, pay 50% more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ConstantGardener
Jamestown, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed at Chateau LaFayette Reneau B & B for the first time, but stayed around Seneca Lake many times before. Very nice house, and clean rooms but as others explained a little odd. No we did not use the slippers, we took our shoes off... in the morning. Place was wide open so anyone can walk in. Lori was a stick in the mud and breakfast was pancakes, dried out bacon coffee and juice. Bad coffee to boot. Her neck tattoos were appealing also. No bar soap in the shower just shampoo, not a deal breaker but....ya know. Can't really say anything bad about the place, but not what you would expect from a B & B. I am sure there are better B&B's to stay around Seneca. View was great though, and the wine at Chateau LaFayette Reneau is some of the best around the lake.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sathb
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Very bizarre stay. As the couple below mentioned, we got leftover bacon and sausage with our pancakes our first day. The place was nice, the wine was good, but it should be a called a "Bed and Fend For Yourself". The wine is great and we were given 3 bottles for our trouble. Lori has the personality of the Soup Nazi - if you like that, then this is your place ;-)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bazinga2002

Travellers are raving about these Hector hotels

Willoughby, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Ever stayed at a b&b and had to make your own breakfast? We did. Checked in on a Wednesday at the winery. When we entered the house there was a not for us to take our shoes off and use a pair of slippers (not sure if they had been used by previous guests or not). and there was a note on our bed that stated that the cook/cleaning person (Lori) was off on Thursdays. There was cereal out and we could go in the refrigerator for milk and juice. No coffee, no toast, nothing else! This is the first b&b we have ever stayed at that did not have the owner or other responsible person staying in the house as well.

We were in the Riesling Room. Clean, nice Jacuzzi tub (even if the directions to use it were for a tub in another room). The pillows were flat (only two provided for the queen size bed) and the linens were not changed for the 4 nights we stayed there. The mattress tended to sink in the middle so my wife and I kept rolling into each other. The headboard makes a squeaking sound every time you turned over. The towels that we left in a pile after day three were not changed or hung up and the plastic cup by the sink with my wife’s lipstick on it was not changed out. The unit had two window a/c units one of which sounded like a water fall the entire time.

It was up to us to leave a light on a night and make sure the place was locked up when we went to bed or left to go to the area wineries. I am amazed someone has not stolen half the house by now!

When I complained to the help at the winery the first evening about no breakfast the next morning they had no clue that Lori was not working on Thursday. In fact , they thought she might have quit the day. All I got was a free bottle of wine for my troubles. It seemed like they employees at the winery wanted to distance themselves from the b&b as much as they could. The next morning we (After we made our own breakfast)I went to see what was going on and they were trying to get a hold of the owner. I left my cell number and asked them to call me when they knew something. I called back later in the day and was informed that if they could not get a hold of Lori, someone would be over to clean and someonw would make breakfast the next day.

When we met Lori late Thursday she informed us that everyone knows that she does not work on Thursdays and that we should have been told this when the reservation was made. On top of that we should not be complaining since we were quoted the off season rate (a whole $10/night savings). The breakfasts she made for us the next three days were nothing to write home about. Pancakes, waffles and French toast, always with bacon, sausage, juice (out of the same bottle as the day before) and coffee or tea. There was cereal in the corner, but never any milk out for it. (The couple that we met the first day at the b&b stated that she served them left over bacon and sausage their first day). Lori always seemed in a hurry and never took the time ask us about our accommodations or if we wanted to know anything about the area like all the other innkeepers we have had in the past. We were the only couple in the house on nights 2 & 3. The 4th night another couple arrived telling us that this was the only b&b they could get into on short notice. Now we all know why.

Heck, no outside lights were on a timer or eye, so we left some on a night. No lights turned on on their own inside in the evening, there were signs not to touch this or that, not to open this door (Thought of putting a lock on it?) and no emergency numbers to call if there was an issue in the middle of the night. We were on our own!

On a good note – the plastic chairs on the deck have been replaced by many comfortable Adirondack chairs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Foghorn8508
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hector
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Single Island Shores
#1 of 2 in Hector
1922 Starkey House Bed & Breakfast Inn
The Pearl of Seneca Lake B&B

Been to Inn at Chateau LaFayette Reneau? Share your experiences!