“Fun local beach”

Southwick Beach State Park
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Henderson
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This beach was less than 10 minutes from my parents house so I went to Southwick Beach very often. I remember the prices rising like everything else which is a bummer. But if you just load up the car with as many people you can fit you get you money's worth! lol

I loved going camping. It was such a cheap price for a little area and you can go and cookout, relax, and enjoy the beach. This is definitely a fun place to go both in the summer and winter especially in that area since there isn't much to do.

1  Thank ChamilleK

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Beautiful sand beach and picnic areal Considering there is so little natural sand beach on Lake Ontario, South Wicks should never be missed. The camp sites on the water are amazing, but in high demand. No complaints whats soever!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Like some of the other reviewers have already commented, the beach is great. It is clean, the sand is soft and since the park borders a wildlife sanctuary where you can walk for quite a ways along the water. I was not however quite as impressed with the camping sites. They are a bit on the small side with no buffer between you and your neighbor. Perhaps this is why one of the other reviewers had a bad experience with being shushed during quiet hours. I was worried about that but fortunately did not have any problems. Any of the staff we talked to seemed to be pleasant enough. There are 3 loops in Southwick; A/C, B and D. A/C loop had slightly larger sites but not a lot of tree cover. The sites along the outside of the loop are a little better for larger campers. I found it odd though that there were only 2 water faucets at the center of the inner sites without any way to get your camper to them. There was a fresh water hose next to the dump station so fill up before you park. This loop has no electric or hook ups but the bathrooms are newer and very clean. Loop D does have electric but it seems as though you are packed in pretty tight. Some people obviously don't mind that, but I prefer a little space. The last few sites along the outside of D are tree covered and seem a bigger than the rest. Loop B (a road actually) is right along the water and you can see the waves and hear the sounds of the lake. Be warned though that the lake can be pretty loud and there are no utilities. There were quite a few campers in the 26ft range parked in Loop B. I should mention that Southwick is smack dab in the middle of nothing. It's a good 20 minute drive to the closest grocery store or to Sackets Harbor with Alex Bay a little farther away. Since I have younger children having day trips and other activities close by is always something I look for. I did like the little general store on Rt.3 as you go into the park. They were friendly and not out to gouge you; plus they had wood at a reasonable price.There was wood a little cheaper though about 1/4 mile west. Overall I thought the park was nice but don't see why the person that made the Southwick recommendation to me loved it so much. Really nice beach yeah, but I look for a little more than that.

7  Thank EddyD999
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We went to this park for day use, and it didn't disappoint. Even on a beautiful,week-end there was plenty of room for us to hear the rolling waves and relax. Clean restrooms and concessions. Economical experience for families and empty-nesters alike. Will travel to visit again. :)

2  Thank sparklerblue
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We didn't camp there so I can't attest to that. But we did obtain a day park entry to use the beach area, which was nice and for a Tuesday, not as crowded as a weekend would have been. We have a cottage, also on Lake Ontario, about 45 mins from Southwick, but the shore and lake bottom by our cottage is rocky. We just wanted a sand beach for the day ~ a place to catch some rays, read a book, lounge on a sand beach, and swim in a sandy bottom lake with no water shoes. Southwick State Park fit the bill and I recommend it.

2  Thank MuffetB