“Worth Another Try”

Price range: US$14 - US$28
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 May 2013

In looking through the reviews, I was surprised to see another reviewer had the same wine issue than we did.

But, first things first.
The outside of the building doesn't inspire confidence, but the place had earned praise from friends.

The interior was pleasant enough and the service was prompt.
We were seated by the hostess and the waitress appeared quickly to take the drinks order.

I ordered a craft beer, the kids their juice, and my wife chose a bottle of wine to share with the other adult in our party.

A waiter showed up with an entirely different wine than that she'd chosen.
When my wife pointed out that she'd given him the name of the wine TWICE, he tried to convince her that she, in fact, had ordered the wine he brought. He went through, Ma'am, then Madam, then Miss each time he refuted the truth of the situation.

In the end, we accepted the wine. Guess what happened when the bill came?

That said, the service was good as was the food. Wine aside, everyone enjoyed the meals.

The Horton Smith House could certainly use a new exterior, and that wine switch is just a bad idea but I'd go again for the food.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Finally had a dinner here as I've driven by this wonderful jewel for so long. A delicious treat with a quaint setting (love the "Rip" in the bar). The plates of food were of generous servings (I noticed most tables had take-homes) and everything we ordered was perfectly cooked: the shrimp/scallop (large divers, not overcooked) special for me and a shrimp dish for my husband. Will definitely return!

Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Just ibis he'd dinner bringing home lunch due to large portions! Potstickers wre a must have as was the artichokes! Our main course if shrimp/scallop franchise was supervenes as was my husband's shrimp Swiss cheese with bacon. Service was excellent from both server and hostess ( sorry forgot ur names) and dessert ( which I shouldn't have ordered since I took home some dinner) was perfect! Cannot wait to return with friends.... Thanks Peg!!!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Good food, friendly people, good music. Beautiful place and something you can depend on. Service is good and great bar.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

We went here for 2 out of 3 dinners. The specials are great as are the regular menu items. Try the potstickers for an appetizer. The crispy duck with the roasted potatoes was out of tihs world. They had a chocolate cake for dessert that was among the richest and most decadent I have ever had. The service was very good also, we has the same waiter both nights that we went there.