“Love it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Herkimer
Herkimer KOA Campground
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Third trip to this KOA and our family thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Nice sites, very clean and plenty to do. Diamond mine across the street always fun for all. Cooperstown and Howe Caverns are nice day trips. Staff friendly and helpful too.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on our way to Niagara Falls. Nice clean campground. Level pull thru site. Rained much of the evening we were here so we didn't get to enjoy many of the activities. Visited the herkimer diamond mine across the street. Kids enjoyed that.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent a Sunday and Monday at Herkimer KOA Campground and was very surprised at how nice it was! I have not been camping in over 15 years but this campground looked nothing like what I remembered. It was impeccably clean. I stayed in one of the small cabins that was located across the street from the rest of the campground on the Herkimer Diamond Mine site. There were 5 little cabins over there separate from the rest of the campground. I did not spend time walking around the grounds of the main campsite so I will only review what I experienced. Each cabin had its own parking spot which you approached from the back. The cabins are exactly as you would imagine a tiny log cabin to be! Each had a porch swing and at least 3 of the 5 had ramps for people unable to climb stairs. I stayed in DK5. We drove up from Connecticut and decided on a whim to see if we could get an early check in. To our surprise and the KOA's surprise, by noon, our room was already cleaned and available for our arrival. They allowed us to check in immediately and we drove to our cabin. The cabin was 2 rooms, the front room had a futon, kitchen table with 4 chairs, tiny kitchen with full sized refrigerator, microwave and stove. I cannot remember if there was an oven. The back room had a full sized bed and access to the bathroom, which was clean and to our surprise even had tiny shampoos, conditioners and soap. The shower was clean but basic. The cabin had both heat, air-conditioning and a ceiling fan. The air-conditioning was located in the kitchen/living room so that room got significantly cooler than the back bedroom but we left the ceiling fan on and the door open so the temperature was fine at night. The futon could pull down to sleep an additional two people and there was a television in the corner. All 5 of the cabins had nice barbecues, picnic benches and fire pits in the front yard. We did not use any of these but our neighbors did. All in all I was extremely impressed with this KOA and it was PET FRIENDLY! There was a handout with tons of activities for children and families and the pool was packed when we drove by it. Really the only complaint was that the door/lock would stick and it took about 10 minutes to figure out that it only locked when the door wasn't slammed shut. Also, I joked that the towel situation was like using a washcloth and hand towel to dry off instead of human sized towels but luckily on a whim we decided to bring our own. Cell phone service in the cabin was only ok. For a Sunday night in July for a mother and daughter that wanted to spend a few hours in the diamond mine, this was the perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: DK5 was the closest room to the actual mine. It was air conditioned and quiet. It could fit 4 peopl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tjberman
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This campground was very well set up, and about 30 minutes from Cooperstown, NY. Mostly tent sites lined the wonderful river that flowed by the camp. There were a few cabins and trailer spaces as well. We got the tent site all the way at the end and LOVED it. It had it's own little beach and each tent site was provided with a good fire pit and a wooden swing. It was quiet and family friendly. Nice general store on site provided essentials and water tubes as well. Many children (and some adults) used them to float down the river. We didn't but I sure will bring a tube next time! The bathrooms and showers were free and very clean. I wasn't at all skeeved out. The mines across the street looked like a great time. The jewelry and rock store was very nice, and we got many souvineers here. There's a bakery just down the road that has the most AMAZING bread. Bring cold cuts and get bread there!!! I was the most blown away with the cottage's that they offer. They all have wrap-around porches, real grills, fire pits and themes! I'm going back for the Astronomy themed cottage. It had it's own observatory on a raided deck...probably the best thing I've ever encountered at a campground.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacquelineLM
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked this because we were traveling with our grandchildren and they offered a lot of activities. We brought t-shirts for tie dying and flashlights for the candy hunt etc ect, all advertised on their website. Well forget it, that's only for the weekend campers. Now, we paid the same rate as the weekend campers but had NONE of the amenities. Very misleading. Also be very careful if you have children as many of the river sites have a sharp drop off. We had to put lites along the edge to keep the little ones from falling in the evening as the fire pits ( with NO grates for cooking!) Pool does not have shallow water for small children. Fire pitts are right next to the edge. Look at 72-85 sites for small children as there is no drop off. Sites are also very close to each other. Not sure we would go back.......also we had a severe storm come thru and no one came around to warn us.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Spent 4th of July weekend here. The campground was full but still surprisingly very quiet. My daughter enjoyed the organized crafts and activities. All the kids enjoyed playing in the creek. The creek is was quite large and due to the large amount of rain received was moving very quickly . Bring your tubes and fishing gear. Of course we spend two days across the street the Herkimer Diamond Mines. Everyone had fun trying to find "diamonds." We were on site 87. The site is right on the creek and it was a great to sit back and relax at the end of the day listening to the sounds of the water. The scenery was just beautiful. I was certainly recommend this KOA.

There are a couple things to take into consideration. We have stayed at KOAs in 14 states and by far this was the smallest site we have ever had. KOAs aren't known for their spacious sites, but these were by far the smallest. We were up against the power box on one side and the box for the next site was just in front of the awening. Also, campers didn't seem to respsect space of the site next to them. When we pulled into our site the dinning tent of the site next to us was actually staked up against our campfire ring and I was worried about hitting the guide lines for their tent when I put our slide out.

My brother and his wife were tent camping on site 92. Their site had no picnic table or fire ring/ place to make a campfire. I'm assuming that they were all moved by other campers since there seemed to be a lot of people there camping in groups. They mentioned it to a worker and were told that they could go to the office and maybe they would take money off. Since we were camping together they just spent all their time at our site. The only thing on their site was a small tent and the campers around used the majority of their site and never offered to move anything to give them space.

We also had to wait in line to use the bathroom and sinks during peak times. There are only 2 toilets and showers in the bathhouse. Since the campground was full my daughter and I often had to wait in a line of women to use the restroom in the evening after dinner time and in the morning. Additionally, in the morning I had to wait in a line to use the sink because women insisted on doing their hair and make-up by the sinks instead of the mirrored area of to the side.

I don't think that these things would necessarily stop me from going back, I just think you need to take them into consideration so know what to expect.

Room Tip: Get a site on the creek. Ask how big the sites is. See if you can request one that is a little big...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We loved it here! The Deluxe Cabin was definitely worth the extra expense and I can honestly say that this is the prettiest campground that I have ever stayed at. We all had a ball playing in the West Canada Creek (don't let the name fool you, that's a river not a creek) and you can't beat how close it is to the two Herkimer diamond mines. You could comfortably have six people in the Deluxe cabins so since we only had three in ours we all had plenty of room. It was like having our own hotel room on the riverbank. Very clean and cozy. We loved it enough that we are already planning a return visit next year :)

Room Tip: Whether you are looking at a cabin or a campsite it is worth it to try and get as close to the creek...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family