“Total dump -- and still overpriced”
Review of Budget Inn Motel

Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Herkimer
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here because we traveled to Herkimer for a family funeral. It's highway robbery (literally, since it's right on I-90 and you can hear the traffic all night) at $75 per night including tax. Elastic standards of cleanliness: dirt on the stairs to the 2nd floor, huge trash can and nasty broom in the lobby near the coffee pot in the morning, and grimy shower curtain; but clean room, sheets, and fairly comfortable bed. Bottom line: just go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank MegBedfordMA

Reviewed 5 October 2011

This budget inn was very disappointing. From the looks of the outside, I nearly cried and wanted to forgo my cash and stay somewhere else. We spent the day in Cooperstown, and since there were no cheap accommodations there, we found this place online. I thought that when we booked it online, we had prepaid. Turns out, we didn't but it was a pain trying to understand that. The owner was very argumentative and hard to understand. I asked to call the company that we booked with so that I can just make sure that we weren't charged. We weren't and we got our key to the room. We had a cooler and asked where the ice machine was. There was no ice machine, but fridges in each room. The owner gave us the plastic ice holder out of a fridge! Weird, and we didn't use it. Because it was on one floor and the window was facing the road, I was scared. The bathrooms were dated. I was so glad we only spent one short night here. In the morning as we were loading all of our things into the car, I had only taken the first suitcase out and the owner's wife was standing at the door and asked for the key. I told her that we weren't done yet! The Denny's next door was also disappointing. Poor service. A couple was seated after us and got served and received their food before we did.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Celia B
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This hotel was clean, but let's face it, no one should recommend it unless it's to their sworn enemy. We booked it online and when we arrived were told they sold our queen room and charged us more to stay in a king, which was by no means cheap for the product offered!! We wanted to leave but there was so much confusion around the charge that we finally just stayed. When we got to our room it was a concrete box with a dated bathroom & giant window that looked out into the traffic. After watching TV (they got cable) for a few minutes we passed out from exhaustion from our trip, only to awaken every few hours when the train went by honking its horn loudly and waking us. Needless to say, we woke up early & tried the Denny's that was recommended on this site. To our surprise it was a bit "tired" at best, with water damage to the ceiling and dim quarters. The place has seen better days.
Positives of the trip include: good water pressure in shower, cable TV, no bed bugs (I checked it was clear). I won't be going back, but if you must stay here it's clean just not a pleasant nights sleep & a bit of a steep price for what you get. The place next door was much nicer, but when we tried to reserve a room was completely booked up. If you can, try to keep driving to Utica.
Also, parking was limited and watched by the smoking manager at night. If you parked in Denny's there were signs threatening to tow.

Room Tip: Drive to Utica & get a room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kgeorge37
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We always stay here on the way to visit our son in college in Upstate NY and back- Have stayed 9 or 10 times at the Motel. The rooms are Good Clean Inexpensive Good Service- . Having the Denny's Restaurant next door is a plus! Friendly manager.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2009

rooms are too small with a smaller bathroom to match and a bathtub just big enough for you to shower or take a bath in. they steal their "free internet" from denny's restaurant behind them, and the only place it works is right by the front door to enter the motel! they falsely advertise "free HBO" they get next to no channels on the cable. they have a one car per room policy, but there's not enough parking spaces for each room!!!! the manager will tell you to go park in denny's parking lot, but there are signs all along the back wall saying that it's for denny's customer's only and towing will be enforced. the manager is rude and snobby. and when you are on your last day there at 9am they will start harassing you to get your things packed and to get out ((check out isn't until 11AM!!!)) they say to have smoking/non-smoking rooms, but when you ask for a smoking room the manager throws a fit and says there are no smoking rooms and if you want a cigarette to stand outside and smoke. the heating/air conditioner didn't work and the hallways are freezing cold... you need to be just short of dressing for the arctic!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank firexcat23
Reviewed 14 July 2008

In December of 2007 my husband and I came back to the area to visit family and friends living in a nearby town. I had always seen The Budget Inn as we exited the thruway and knew it had been operating for years. We felt this would fit our budget.

It was a nightmare. The first room they placed us in had no heat. They turned on the heat and we sat on the bed with our coats on for an hour with a fan blowing cold air before we asked for another room. The second room was much the same however after another hour we did get some heat. The furniture in the room was outdated and the curtains torn. There was no way we could use the shower. I'm not even sure there was hot water. The floor in the bathroom was cement and reminded me of a shower at a boat house.

My husband left to buy me a soda. There was absolutely no heat in the hallway. There was actually ice on the floor as the outside door was opened.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Kwireless
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I pulled into Motel Parking Lot that was empty except for homeless guy with his shopping cart.
Motel Sign light blinking as if burning out.
Broken bed frame tossed away at side of building.
Didn't even get out of car, went to Hotel next door.
when calling to cancel, was met with questions as to why, owner not very understanding.

Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank tlp330
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herkimer
Inn Towne Motel
Hampton Inn Utica
Hampton Inn Utica
#1 of 13 in Utica
Fairfield Inn & Suites Utica

Been to Budget Inn Motel? Share your experiences!