“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Herkimer
Virginia Beach, Va.
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My goodness what a gem of a lodging! The Herkimer Motel has been remodeled and they did a spectacular job. We stayed there for four (4) nights over Christmas time. The place was beautifully decorated, both, outside and in. The desk person, Stephanie, was very friendly and cheerful and I immediately felt welcomed. Paul, the manager, was equally pleasant and friendly. The room was warm and clean. There was a coffee maker,microwave and refrigerator. The beds were firm and comfortable and the lighting was ambient and not, in your face. Bathroom was small, but, fully functional with more than enough towels. The new air system has both heat and cool in one unit and was not loud or intrusive. Mornings were greeted with free continental breakfast. The lobby has a reading nook and off the lobby was a workout room with TV. I could not have been happier!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Had another great stay at the Herkimer. I forgot to add one item the last time I rated the motel. The entire staff is great. One in particular, Gladys warned me in June about the road closures from the floods in the area. I was able to reach my destination with her directions instead of living for home. This last stay, a few of us had a suite. We were all digging at the Ace of Diamonds and were very dirty at the end of the day. In spite of that, our room was spotless each of the 6 days that we were there. This is a very clean and well maintained facility and I recommend the Herkimer to everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ARP1369
Albany, NY
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked the Herkimer motel and suites based on all of the good reviews here on Tripadvisor. After booking, I read many more additional reviews and found some complaining about the noise. I am a light sleeper so this concerned me so much, I decided to call a week out and connect with the manager/owner to find out really how bad the noise was. She was re-assuring to a point, but said it really wasn't too bad and people wanted the convenience of staying near the off-ramp to I-90. I decided to keep my reservation based on this call and wasn't disappointed - read on.

We booked the Jacuzzi suite in the suite section which is even closer to the Thruway (I-90), but seemed to be better insulated/soundproofed than the regular motel section. If you are going to book this place and want top quality - I highly recommend the suites for just a little more.

We checked in and everyone was really pleasant and accommodating at the front desk. When we got to our room, all we kept saying was 'I can't believe how nice this room is". We check the noise level when we checked in and was more like a very dull murmur - sort of like white noise. Even the trains didn't make too much noise - again more like white noise. If you are train buff or your kids like trains, you can actually watch the trains from your room/bed in most suite rooms - so this is the place for you, your family.

So we headed out for errands and dinner. We ate at the Applebees which menu is dramatically better than I had remembered some 5-7 years ago when I last dined there. Back to the room about 9PM, used the jacuzzi tub which was wonderful and ultra clean (if you can afford it - splurge and go for it),

We slept very soundly and the noise did not disturb us one bit. As a matter of fact, I had one of the best night's sleep in some time as the mattress was sooooo comfortable. The room was also in perfect working condition, roomy, clean, bright and nicer than many roadside motels I have stayed at in the past.

We skipped breakfast at the motel and instead walked to Denny's which is in the same parking lot since we wanted a specialty breakfast vs. continental.

Bottom Line: Noise is not an issue, motel is really well run and clean, rooms are comfortable and done with class. I would stay here again without hesitation and will be a must stay anytime I am in the area.

Room Tip: Booked the suite section - better insulated (quiter) and you can view the passing trains in most sui...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank STEBAY711
Rochester
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Literally a "gem" in the land of gems (Herkimer Diamond Mines) this place looks like a clean regular thruway stop. But, the rooms are very clean, quite, leather furniture, good beds, they make you feel special there. Plenty of places to eat nearby and literally feet from the Thruway entrance/exit, great pricing too, convenient parking.

Room Tip: Although the doors open to the outside, you don't know it.
1 Thank sightseer14
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Our third visit to Herkimer from England and stayed at Herkimer Motel & Suites each time. Very convenient as son attends Herkimer County Community College. Only a five minute car ride to College. Typical US looking motel on arrival but decorated to high standard on the inside. Rooms are very comfortable as are the Dining room and Reception areas.
An ample Breakfast is included in the price.Consists of hot and cold cereals,muffins,bread, jams,boiled eggs.yogurts etc.There are hot drinks available free of charge all day and night .Free Wi-Fi.Even has a pool for the Summer months.
Only negative is that there is a train track close by(US trains are very long) but you cant have everything.You could always request a room on opposite side.
The staff are very friendly and always take time to have a conversation.We always enjoy our stay at the Herkimer Motel & Suites.

Clementon
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My family travelled to Herkimer to watch my son play in a championship soccer game. We were trying to find somewhere reasonable and something close to Herkimer County College. The words "motel" and "suites" don't give you a good feeling, but after reading reviews, we decided on this place.

We were very pleased. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and the lobby and rooms were decorated very nice. We really enjoyed our stay. The noise was not a problem since were not interested in sleeping all day.

The place was convenient to many eateries, Walmart, and Rite Aid. A half hour from Cooperstown, and across the street from a beautiful gift shop and Erie Canal cruises. Herkimer is known for its diamond mines, but they were closed for the winter.

I would definitely stay here again!

Cheektowaga, New York, United States
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I made a 'quick trip' to New Haven,Conn. this past weekend, where we stayed one night in a chain hotel. It was adequate and clean, but nothing to invite us back. On the way back home to Buffalo, we decided to drive part of the way home, stay another night somewhere, and stop at a couple of places we enjoy. We were on the New York State Thruway, getting tired after a busy weekend, and saw the sign for the Herkimerr Motel & Suites. We got off the Thruway and pulled in and were delighted that the cost was less than the chain we had stayed in the previous night. It was also far more inviting. The entire place, including our room, was impeccably clean, there were 'extra' amenities, and staff was very pleasant. I enjoyed walking around the lobby, looking at interesting pictures, books, etc. that were tastefully placed. In short, my plan is to stay there again in the future, and recommend it to family and friends. The only complaint we had was that the room had a double bed rather than a queen or king, and my husband is rather large, so we were a little crowded. It was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for the size bed you would like.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herkimer
Inn Towne Motel
Hampton Inn Utica
#1 of 13 in Utica
Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
Fairfield Inn & Suites Utica

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Herkimer? Share your experiences!