“Love the Lamb Shank”

Ranked #68 of 175 Restaurants in Hicksville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have eaten here twice eating the same meal and both times were spectacular. I love lamb and well prepared hummus. I am pleased to say that this place has both. The hummus they serve has tomato and other veggie bits on top and has a nice spicy kick (I like spice). This was excellent both times and they give you as much pita as you want to soak it up. The entrée comes with a salad that had some type of a yogurt dressing (slightly too much dressing). The lamb shank comes in a large bowl that has a fantastic, slightly spicy, broth/drippings/?? The liquid also is worth getting this meal. It also comes with the traditional brown rice topped with raisins and carrots. Dipping the rice in the nectar liquid results in a wonderful taste. For added kick, I added a little of their spicy green sauce. Dinners were topped off with some baklava.

The entrée is big enough to share or take half home for lunch the next day (what I did). All in all, the lamb shanks served her are better than most of the other places that I have tried them at and on par with my absolute favorite place back in Virginia.

The restaurant only has about 15 tables and was not busy both times. Service was prompt, courteous, and efficient. Total price including a coke was about $25 - very reasonable for what I got.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This place is my favorite restaurant on LI. We usually go for lunch when the prices are more reasonable. The food is amazing! This time we went Valentine's Day afternoon.
The hummus we ordered for an appetizer is some of the best I've ever tasted. My favorite menu item is the "Lawand". It's a stew, lamb I think, in a creamy (yogurt?) sauce that is so very delicious! Definitely get the brown basmati rice with your meal. It's so good I could eat it plain as a meal, and I am not usually crazy about rice. I have never tasted rice this good anywhere! My Honey had Lamb Tikka, a Shish Kebab served with onions and rice. The server brought him a white sauce to add, which he liked.
The service is good, staff is friendly and welcoming. The decor is warm and relaxing with lots of mirrors all around. They do not serve alcohol, but you can bring a bottle of wine, which they will open at no charge. I absolutely love this place!

1  Thank DebiOco
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is intimate and inviting. There is no liquor but the hot tea's are good. My husband and I very much enjoyed the food. It was an odd time when we went and so the food came out slow but to me that is not an issue as long as it means it is freshly prepared-I'll wait ;) Yum

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Great Afghan food and great owners and staff. I enjoy good authentic ethnic food and Kabul never disappoints. Very unusual,very consistent. Bring your own bottle.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Wonderful food, great owners. No liquor but you can bring your own wine (I don't even think they charge a corkage fee). I have never needed antacid, nor have family members, some even with digestive problems. Two years ago I started bringing my boyfriend, who was completely new to Afghan food and he LOVES it. I love the stews and my parents love the kabobs, but we all agree on the Lawand. They also serve wonderful teas and coffees. After my grandmother's funeral, we came with a group of about 15 on little notice. It took 5 minutes for them to put tables together, open a few wine bottles, and take our order, so I'm surprised by others who say service was unattentive. It is also usually very quiet for dinner before 8. The combination meals (for 2, 3, or 4) can serve one at least one more than they say and there are lots of cheap options if you order on your own.

1  Thank FoodLoveNY