“First B&B experience”

Ranked #2 of 6 High Falls B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“First B&B experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

My fiancé treated me to a 2-night stay at Cpt. Schoonmakers and it was one of the most romantic and comfortable getaways we've had.

We stayed in the carriage house, had a very comfortable four-poster bed, our own bathroom, and an amazing private deck off our room that we used to sit outside and enjoy the stream flowing in the backyard. At night, we slept with the windows open and let the sounds of the waterfall lull us to sleep.

As a firsttime guest of a B&B, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found Judy's breakfasts to be delicious and presented so well. Each morning, breakfast was served on a different set of china, which were all beautiful and added to the great country ambiance of the place.

There are no TVs in the bedroom, which I loved because it allowed my fiancé and I to focus on each other and really spend quality time together. The house is filled with boardgames, most of them 30 years old, but we had so much fun playing games, talking, and sharing a bottle of wine in front of a huge fireplace.

We got bit outside by some Mosquitos and it made me wish I packed my bugspray, but wouldn't you know, as soon as I walked in the carriage house there was bug spray sitting on a counter for everyone's use, right next to a pile of extra towels which came in handy to wipe off some water I tracked inside. Judy and Bill think of everything!

This place truly had all the comforts of home and I was so sad to leave. It has set the standard high for my future bed and breakfast ventures. It's a great getaway when you need to recharge and I will recommend it to all my friends!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank EVTL55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hico, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed a couple of nights and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was in the carriage house. Loved the main house. We love antiques and it was filled with really unique things. The hosts were very nice and breakfast was very good. Pretty much anything we needed was provided. We have been to many B&Bs and it is nice to see one that thinks of everything to make your stay enjoyable. Loved the location, beautiful grounds. Loved the chickens & roosters.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the weekend and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Carraige house with a wonderful room overlooking the brook and waterfall. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and quaint. You can tell they really love searching for antiques because the rooms are all decorated so nicely. The grounds are just beautiful with ferns and hosta growing under shade trees with adirondack chairs placed all about. The main house is amazing also - from the 1700s!! - with a charming dining room where you have breakfast served by Judy and Bill who are wonderful hosts. Breakfast was delicious both mornings and we enjoyed getting to know the other guests. If you're a bed and breakfast person - you will love this place. I truly did not want to leave and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smurfy91862
Kearny, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

My husband and I have traveled around the world from Japan to Paris and across the United States, and we can honestly say that we had a wonderfully romantic time. We highly recommend this B&B for the location, house and hosts. For us, the place and hosts went beyond our expectations. However, there are a few things that another person might not like about this place. We wrote this honest review to help others decide of this place is right for you. At Captain Schoonmakers, you can expect:

--Good, satisfying breakfasts that vary daily. Made by Judy and served by Bill at 9am, we enjoyed yogurt with granola and fresh blueberries, whole wheat pancakes with bacon and apple slices, and a confection dreamed up by Judy called "Eggnogg French Toast". All was served with scones or muffins, and bottomless juice and coffee.

--Excellent location. They are centrally located around the major points of interest, which include Rhinebeck and Woodstock to the North, New Paltz, Mohonk Preserve and Minnewaska State Park to the South - not to mention all the hiking, shopping, history and antiquing one would ever want. We came to hike, but the snow beat us there, so we timidly tried cross-country skiing for the first time and loved it! There's really something to do in every season.

--Lovely old house. The pre-revolutionary house is gorgeous with wide-planked floors and old fireplaces. It's also chock full of interesting old pictures, antiques and little knick-knacks, including a very interesting mouse trap in the dining room that we couldn't help fiddle with. You can have coffee, tea and little chocolate chip cookies while you explore the place or simply read a book from their extensive library by one of the fireplaces.

--Beautiful property. Situated on wooded grounds with a big stream and water fall, the nature surrounding the house is beautiful. We went in winter when everything was snow-covered and we still thought it was gorgeous.

--Lovely Room. We stayed in the "Captain's Quarters" upstairs in the oldest part of the main building above the kitchen. We had the entire place to ourselves except when breakfast was on, since all other rooms are out in the barn and even the hosts live in the house next door, which is not attached to the original old house. This was very nice as we didn't need to worry about making noise when we creaked around our room at night. The bed is very soft and there's lots of extra pillows and blankets. There's a lovely fireplace in the room which we used 2 out of the 3 nights and a one-person jacuzzi in the bathroom for your exclusive use that we fully took advantage of. We did NOT hear any roosters in the morning, or at any other time for that matter, as another reviewer wrote.

--Lovely Hosts. That Judy and Bill Klock go the extra mile to ensure their guests' full and complete happiness is evident in the little touches around the house. Little home-baked cookies in the foyer with coffee at all times, bath salts in the jacuzzi, throw blankets on every chair in the house, fire places ready for lighting, even a flask of some liquor for a night cap on our table near the fire all were much appreciated. The hosts are also very forthcoming with day trip ideas and directions to anywhere you'd like to go in the area. And finally, Judy and Bill are really pleasant, down-to-Earth, good people and chatting simply about our lives together indeed elevated our experience there.

As I said before, my husband and I have traveled around the world and Captain Schoonmaker's still went above our expectations. However, we realize that no place can be all things to all people, so we have included a list of things you may want to keep in mind. While we didn't consider them negatives, we can see how some might be bothered by:

--Traffic on the highway. The house is like 10 feet from the road, so you can hear cars and trucks going by on the highway while lying in bed. It's honestly NOT loud, but sounds sort of like a whoosh as they pass. Honestly, though, this did not bother us at all and I am a light sleeper. At night, there aren't many cars going by anyway and truth be told, it became white noise by the second night we were there.

--The unattached bathroom. The bathroom is out in the hallway literally 3 steps away from the bedroom door. No one else uses it except for you and no one is even in the house, let alone the second floor, so the fact that it's technically not attached to the room didn't bother us in the slightest. It really might as well have been attached. Still...I know some people are weird about their bathrooms.

--The very BIG dog. Beau is a very cute, very LARGE golden retriever. He is very sweet and does not jump on people. In truth, we only saw him briefly at breakfast once, but if you are scared of dogs or severely allergic, then you may want to ask the hosts to vacuum the house and keep the dog out of the main building. The hosts live next door on another property, so that problem is easily solved.

AND THAT'S IT! We highly recommend this place. We had a truely romantic stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JennySensei
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

I grew up in the Hudson Valley and even though I now live in Europe, get positively irrational when I remember this very beautiful spot in the world. When the opportunity came to take a short holiday near the Catskills, I was delighted when my wife found Captain Schoonmakers as I recall the house very well from my childhood and college days: at a crossroads with a stream and a waterfall. We took one of the rooms in the building at the back of the property facing the rushing stream and waterfall. It was delightful to sleep with the sound of running water in our ears (and this blocks out the road noise another Trip Advisor member wrote.) The room itself was charming was gas fireplace, a comfortable bed, and porch facing the stream. Even though it was late fall and chilly, we kept the door cracked to get even more of the stream's music.

The innkeepers couldn't have been nicer and made the most extraordinary breakfasts I have ever tasted. When do you eat a fully cooked breakfast except when on vacation: these were definitely worth the calories. In case you were still hungry, the library had a plate of baked goods always available. And we had a wonderful dinner at the DuPuy Canal House nearby.

My only caveat was that the walls are thin and neighbors have to be on best behavior so that your stay is as private as you might wish.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Finem50
Ozone Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

My husband surprised with an anniversary weekend getaway. Captain Schoonmaker's is a magical and romantic place. Bill and Judy are extremely wonderful host. Judy's breakfasts are to die for. It was as if I came home for the weekend. I can not wait till the next time we are able to visit.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

One look at the photos of the property and I knew I wanted to stay here. I was traveling with my sister and her two teenaged sons - their first time ever staying in a bed and breakfast and they absolutely loved it. The Captain's Quarter's was ideal for us. The inn is full of wonderful antiques, seasonal decorations (Judy has a great eye for decorating) and is overall just a delightfully charming, cozy place. The breakfasts were delicious. The chickens running around the yard, Betty the cat, Beau, the very sweet dog, the sound of the stream, the cool, fresh mountan air, the colorful leaves on the trees- a perfect setting. Judy and Bill are wonderful, gracious hosts, helpful with directions, advice about local attractions, restaurants, things to do. I would definitely recommend staying here and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Hasbrouck House
Hasbrouck House
#2 of 6 in Stone Ridge

Been to Captain Schoonmaker's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!