“Stay Away!! MOUSE TRAP IN ROOM!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in High Falls
Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 High Falls B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 January 2009

As we enter the doorway there were boxes of movies on the chair. A binder that was falling apart that had menus of local places to eat. I booked for the starlight room and was disappointed in the size and how run down the place looked. The furniture in the room wasn't rustic...it was downright trash! The VCR/DVD player balanced on the edge of a low table; with a note saying to be careful not to knock it over. Paint pealing off the wall in the bathroom which only consisted of a toilet and sink. Bathroom had a note to be careful not to let the toilet run...to jingle the handle to stop it if it does. A jacuzzi in the bedroom but no shower. You have to use the hand shower inside the jacuzzi. The jacuzzi on the deck was broken. There is no TV reception and no radio in the room. I was alright with all this...after all my boyfriend and I just wanted to get a away from it all. HOWEVER....the mouse trap in the room did it for me! We asked for our money back; Celia threw our money onto the table as we were leaving and walked away! I felt as if I was intruding or an unwelcome guest in this house. I've been to a lot of B&B's and this was the worst experience ever! We left and got a hotel room in New Paltz for half the price.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seupel, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2009

We LOVE our wonderful guests, but occasionally someone just plain silly visits us. "Krazy Daisy" and her boyfriend left with a Full Refund after a 10 minute stay (in which they managed to use both the bed and the bathroom) because Ms. "KrazyDaisy" was disturbed by an overlooked, empty mousetrap in their second floor room. I tried to explain to Ms. "KrazyDaisy" that there has NEVER been a mouse in the room, but she didn’t seem to care. There had been a mouse in our basement, which we caught. (What part of a B&B “in the woods” did Ms. "KrazyDaisy" not understand? There are deer and raccoon and wild turtles around here, too!) My husband put traps in all the guest rooms at the time, just in case, even though it turned out to be unnecessary, and I just did not see the empty trap when I cleaned the room. For that, I am deeply sorry. Ms. KrazyDaisy’s hysterical departure was, I felt, rather over the top. The menu binder? It's not falling apart, it's a folder with loose menus in it! I am sorry Ms. KrazyDaisy didn't like us, but she is reaching for things to criticize.

Reviewed 18 December 2008

We have stayed in many B@B's all over the country from rustic to posh. We booked for a week ,however, we were so uncomfortable from the depressing vibe by the Innkeepers....it made us homesick! The breakfast was good the first morning ,however, it became a selection of leftovers for the rest of our stay! We feared for our safety too....the smoke alarms were not working! When we asked the Innkeepers about the alarms, they just laughed it off like it was no big deal....they never replaced the batteries or repaired the alarm! Beware, they might advertise it as rustic.....but not unsafe,depressing, and run down. It might be good for one night ,but be careful the (Innkeepers) disfunction will creep up on you!

Stayed: June 2008

This room (the Forest Room) is no longer for rent because, although many people liked it, several people called it "gloomy." We are surprised and sorry these folks didn't enjoy their stay; they never mentioned anything was wrong. Note their room cost them only $60 per night for four of their nights, and their weekday Continental breakfast included a big bowl of fresh fruit, a choice of five cereals, English muffins w/butter & gourmet jellies, fresh coffee cake, coffee, tea, juice, & milk, just as advertised.

Reviewed 12 August 2008

We stayed one night in August. The house is deep in the woods in a valley near the Gunks. It's pretty dark in there! The rooms were comfortable, good bathrooms, nice liv. rm. to hang out in - deck and hot tub were a bit dark, damp, and funky. Great beakfast, really nice relaxed people. Three outdoor dogs, very friendly and cute, make their presence known! House and grounds are a little run-down, damp from the deep forest, but rooms are clean and well-kept.

I'd stay there again and recommend the place to others, based on relaxed atmosphere, medium price (mid-$100-&200), location, and great breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wawawayne
Reviewed 23 June 2008

My husband and I had marvelous time that we had at Whispering Pines. It was a wonderful experience. We have been in America for almost ten years now, and traveled quite a bit throughout this time. However, this is the first time that we have come across such an amazing place. The few days spend at Whispering Pines felt like a honeymoon after twenty four years of marriage.

The blackout caused by the thunderstorm added an adventurous and even more romantic twist to the weekend. We few hours with the candlelight set a truly romantic aura. Also, we were truly impressed how hard the staff worked to quickly restore the power and water supply. We did not feel inconvenienced in any way and these unforeseen events did not impact the quality of the services even a bit. If anything, they demonstrated the dedication and hospitality of the Whistpering Pines owner's for their guests.

In addition to relaxing at the lodge, you can visit the gorgeous Minnewaska state park which is just 15 min away. The park is surrounded by the mountains and the views are breathtaking. You can also take a swim in the lakes that are in the park. Another wonderful place that is nearby is the Coxing Waterfall/Swimming Pool. This is a natural pool--pure fun!!!

All in all we would recommend this place to anyone who is looking to have a trully relaxing and unwinding weekend. In fact my husband and I are already planning to come back for another weekend or even for an entire week if time permits.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Our plans coalesced late on Thursday, so I called Whispering Pines and luckily they had a room available for Friday night.

It was the Forest Room which was a cozy, quaint and very comfortable little room. The Forest Room was perfect for us. It was a bit on the small side compared to their other rooms but we didn't really need a lot of space. We just needed somewhere to relax and sleep and we did both.

We had a great night's sleep in the very comfortable bed and then woke up to a wonderful breakfast. There was fruit and muffins and omelettes and an incredible coffee cake.

We took our time eating, enjoying the beautiful view from their living room out onto the deck and the 50 acres of woods they have there.

We had a wonderful weekend and we definitely plan on going back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2007

My husband and I stayed at Whispering Pines for just a weekend. We had a lovely stay in the Cherry Wood Room. We actually booked this room because it has a whirlpool, but did not use it since there is a jacuzzi on the deck.
The ride up the mountain was beautiful, and we were glad to find this bnb was also deep in the woods.
The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were exactly what we needed. No complaints! Well just one -- we did not have the chance to really meet the owners as we were there very briefly and they were away until sunday. But the caretaker took good care of us, and the dogs were very sweet.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vertluisant
Reviewed 9 February 2007

Whispering Pines provided the perfect setting for a relaxing weekend get-away for me and my sister. Hosts, Celia and HD, are gracious, friendly, helpful and generous. Their comfortable home is secluded and blissfully quiet. The common space is very inviting with its soaring ceiling and big comfy couch and chair in front of the fireplace. We spent a lot of time parked there, relaxing and reading in front of the fire. Gentle music is always playing in the background. There's an extensive collection of CDs and we were free to put on anything we liked.

Big glass doors lead to a huge deck in the back. We enjoyed soaking in the jacuzi in the still, crisp night air.

I stayed in the Forest Room. It was cozy and the bed was very comfortable. It's a little on the dark side during the day but the rest of the house is so light filled it didn't matter. The private bathroom is a few steps down the hall but that was no problem especially since it gave me a reason to throw on the thick terry bathrobe and cushy slippers provided. It has a shower stall so if you want a bath, choose one of the other rooms. The facilities are clean and perfectly adequate.

There is no TV reception but there is a VCR in every room and a HUGE tape library. We weren't there for the TV anyway.

Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday was delicious and plentiful and included fresh blueberies, strawberries and the most wonderful pineapple. Hot water for a wide selection of tea was avaialbe all day long.

Celia and HD are friendly but not intrusive. My sister and I enjoyed the little bit we got to chat with them. They go about their business but they leave very helpful notes so that if you arrive when they are out, you can go ahead and make yourself at home. They emphasize that they are always reachable by cell phone if you need them for anything,

All in all it was a great weekend and I have no hesitation about recommending Whispering Pines for a quiet weekend away.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank Aunt-G

Been to Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!