“Scenic, quiet, animal-friendly and green”
Review of Clove Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in High Falls
Clove Cottages
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I found this place because we have an old dog we like to travel with and it turned out to be a lovely three days. The cabin was very clean, comfortable, and had what you need. The owners have their own animals around, two llamas, a friendly dog and chickens and we enjoy that. They do have pretty strict recycling and guest rules, they are trying to have a small footprint and if you can't get into that spirit, then it's not for you, but we found the experience refreshing. I did notice a slight propane scent, but I'm sensitive. Michelle was always available charming and helpful. She also offers fresh organic produce from her garden when available.

Room Tip: There are rooms with queen and king beds.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2011

First of all, I used to have a log cabin in Woodstock with no running water or electricity, so I am used to "rustic". My husband and I were coming back for a visit to the area (we live in AZ) and we thought this would be a nicer experience. The cabin was not clean. The refrigerator was not even turned on, although the owner knew exactly when to expect us. There was not even an ice tray in the freezer. The Wi-Fi did not work (although it was advertised). The DVD player did not work. The toaster looked like it had been used for 10 years and never cleaned, The cabin was musty, and there were many bugs. The furniture was not just old and quaint, it was old and worn out and the veneer off the dressers was in a bag inside. The dresser was missing knobs and was nearly impossible to open. There was not even a closet or a bar hanging where you could hang your clothes. The final straw, the curtains were MOLDY. When I called Michelle, she said they re-use. The curtains were stained and looked disgusting. We are used to recycling and rustic, and this place wasn't rustic, it was dirty and smelly. Even with the window A/C on the rooms were never comfortable, Would never recommend this to anyone. To their credit, when I complained, they gave us a full refund. However, the time we wasted moving in, moving out and finding another place cannot be refunded. We ended up at the Skytop Motel in Kingston, which was at least clean and decent, but not what we were looking for.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a best room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nightingale7210
MichelleGullickson, Owner at Clove Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

It was raining when this guest arrived. She beeped her horn until I came to her car. She did not want to get out and I offered to run her card inside and bring her the slip for signature. Upon returning to her car I had to wait in the rain several minutes while she spoke on her phone. She expressed anger about the weather and I felt much hostility from her. When she called a short while later about having trouble accessing the internet, I began troubleshooting and discovered one router was out. I informed the guest she could access the internet by coming back to the check-in room where we have movies and brochures. She declined. (We had the malfuntioning router repaired two days later when our technician was available.) We do not advertise that our WI-Fi reaches each cottage, but it people find that it does. The dresser is wooden and the drawers were sticking due to the August heat & humidity. The curtains were not moldy. There were some mildew stains that wouldn't bleach out in the wash. We've since replaced them.
We try to balance our philosophy of living lightly on the planet with the comfort and expectations of our guests. We take all comments seriously and we make necessary improvements.
This guest arrived angry and hostile. She wasn't able to let go and see the beauty and peace that is here. We're not for everyone. If you want a polished, cookie cutter room, go to a chain hotel. If you want your own cottage where you can relax, cook some of your own meals and hike nearby, then we're your place.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

My husband and I stayed there last month and we awoke to lawn mowers, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, tractors, dogs and kids coming from across the street (another rental property). There is also a large building being built across the street so besides the dirt from trucks kicking up and their deisel engines on top of that was the noise from the contractors Hammers, drills, etc. The cottages smell like wet dogs and are so close to the roads, I felt like a fish in a fish bowl while on the porch. The cottages were a step above a tent. I wouldn't recommend this place, but the resort across looks lovely (pool, etc.) maybe next year when these bug bites finally go away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hikergirl8985
MichelleGullickson, Owner at Clove Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

We are sorry to hear that this guest did not fully enjoy her experience here. It is true that our neighbors are building a garage across the street. We expect they'll be done soon. The Purple cottage is the most effected and the mountain view from that cottage has been somewhat obstructed by the building. There is no resort across the street. The neighbors have grandkids who come visit occasionally and they do make some noise occasionally. The majority of our guests comment to us about how peacful it is here and how glad they are to have found us. We really try to create a relaxing environment and most people appreciate what we are doing.

Reviewed 20 November 2010

Really? I am so pleased to be at the Clove Cottages every chance I get. If recycling is such a chore for those other guests, then don't even bother - to live on this planet requires a modicum of respect for it. My dog and I stay there. I can't leave her there alone because she was bad one time, but I am not upset. Michelle and Noah have boundaries, and I respect that. It is beyond my comprehension that "being green" is so hard for people. Get a clue. One person's efforts really do make a difference. To reiterate, I love the Clove Cottages, BECAUSE they care about the environment!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank somebodyinparticular
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My husband and I came to High Falls for a wedding. We picked the clove cottages because they were close and were pretty much the same price as the hotel rooms other members of the wedding party were staying in. I am so grateful that we chose to stay there. It was beautiful and romantic and rustic. Coming from Las Vegas we were blown away by the changing leaves and amazed at how beautiful it is out there...We stayed in the winter green cottage. The cottage is cozy and rustic, we loved it. We had coffe on the porch every morning and the fresh scones on Sunday were delish ( my husband is a chef, and he couldn't get over how yummy they were!) The owners were very nice and the Llamas were pretty cool too. We also love the fact that they take recycling so seriously! Can't wait to go back <3

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2010

But we want to make sure Clove Cottages stay around for us to enjoy! We spent a weekend here, and it was bliss. Cozy and comfy cottage (we were in cottage #5), thoughtfully arranged and stocked. We cooked dinner using the plates and cooking implements they provide, ate on the quiet back deck, watched movies on the DVD player, listened to our jazz CDs on the stereo they provide, and fed the llamas apples. Noah and Michelle are friendly and helpful, but not in your face the way some B&B owners are. All this made for a peaceful, relaxing weekend. And High Falls is lovely and super convenient! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I recently made a two day trip to visit a with a couple of girlfriends from college. We stayed at the Clover Cottages. I stayed in the red cottage with my friend and her daughter. It was perfect. I have read the other reviews and want to set some people straight. This is not a Hilton hotel. People come to this area to enjoy nature and peace and quite, not a wide screen plasma tv. Open the windows and turn on the fan, and all you hear at night are little critters chirping. Best sleep I have had in years. Don't fret, there is AC, I just did not need it. Is there anything better then the scent of fresh country air in the morning?
The cottage was extremely clean. No ants, no spiders. The decor is that of a country cottage, and I found it cozy as if I was visiting with a family member. The owners, Michelle and Noah were very friendly and accommodating, and the hiking in the area is fabulous.
Plenty of great restaurants in New Paltz, but the cottages are set up to cook anything you would want to make.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank sdlnyc78

Been to Clove Cottages? Share your experiences!