“I was Lucky to find this..”

America's Best Value Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed 30 May 2013

So if you have read any of my other reviews of this area, you will already know that I only come here Memorial and Labor Day weekends. Hotels/motels fill up long in advance and charge exorbitant rates. In Sept 2012 I stayed in a great room at the Atlas Motel..and tried to book it for Memorial Day 2013, but it was already booked. The manager, Neil.. persuaded me to trust the ongoing renovations at their 'sister hotel' America's Best Value Inn. Truthfully, I was reluctant.. but I trusted him. I was right to do so.

Flash forward 9 months, I can't find my reservation info. (I found it later,) and in this area, you can not NOT have a reservation on a holiday.so I will confess to an all out panic, .. . However, they found it in a heartbeat and forwarded it to me pronto. Personal service began right there.

The Inn is easy to roll by. Use the Bagel place as your landmark as it is right behind it. It is a two level connectedfacility..and I was on the 2nd floor. the photo of the exterior shown is true. I was in room 207and had an excellent experience. As I understand it, all of the rooms have been renovated to different degrees .. but there are commonalities. good plumbing, bath fixtures.. beds..modern t.v.s, microwaves, refrigerator..
My bathroom had quality matching fixtures ,..large attractive tiles.. hairblower and could have slept a family...... But I'm quite sure they are not all that big ! Surprisingly, my room also had granite top tables and a bigger than average tv.. guess it pays to book 9 months in advance ! the floor was woodgrain, with an attractive unusual circular rug.. and the bed quality was very good. My room faced a back area . felt private and countrish...everything green and I liked that a lot .. There was a large chair that opened into a bed if needed. Lighting was also good in the room,adequate..intelligently placed plugs. Coffeemaker
(, but I'd recommend the on premises bagel shop instead). Convenience store and gas across the street.. It was quiet and yet very close to highway .. Center of New Paltz 10? minutes away. The only issue I had, was with wifi in my room, and manager was surprised to hear it.. but thought it might be the storm we were having. He said there is an alternative host to use if this should ever happen in future and to ask the front desk.
I never mentioned the price. It was drastically less than the other hotels/motels in the area for the same weekend, and they ...with seriously mixed reviews. I wish more places had management that was responsive like this and I will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on 2nd floor and floor is wood. , I imagine if you were beneath me, you would have heard me dr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Neil R, General Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Thank-you so much for your honest and thoughtful review. We appreciate your business at both of our properties in Highland, NY, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for America's Best Value Inn

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I was looking for affordable accommodations for my wife and I in New Paltz and read the reviews of the available choices and was very scared!!
Each place was worst than the next. So I expanded my search to include nearby communities.
That’s where I came upon America's Best Value Inn in Highland NY.
Believe me this place is no Taj Mahal but as far as decent accommodations this place was OK.
The rooms are a bit worn but ours was clean and neat with adequate supplies.
A refrigerator and microwave were also in the room which is a plus
A small coffee shop attached is available for coffee and breakfast and a convenience store is across the highway from the motel.
All in all our two days stay was comfortable and secure..

Room Tip: You do hear the people above you when you are on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mjm2463
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and more than adequate. We enjoyed our stay and we will return. There is a wonderful luncheonette and bagel restaurant on the premises with great coffee and very fresh food! The staff at the motel and the restaurant were more than welcoming!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2012

One, seemingly, would not pick this setting for its ambience. Rooms are dark (windows face a steep hill); the motel, itself, is located on a busy (unwalkable) road; and the town of Highland seems somewhat depressed -- not the kind of town one imagines when thinking of the Hudson River Valley. The rooms are poorly sound-insulated. Any movement from the room above us was easily heard in our room. It certainly was, however, an inexpensive room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2012

ABVI looks as though they just completed a ground up renovation, with the rooms, bathrooms, beds, etc. being far nicer than the outside view inspires. The beds were comfortable, and the hotel quiet and peaceful. The value was on the high-side for the amount spent, but worth it considering the recent renovations.

I would happily stay there again, and I've added this hotel to my own list of "great place, but low cost" hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank VagabondMedic
Reviewed 8 October 2012

On a return trip to the Hudson Valley, we chose the ABVI in Highland. It's a great location for a base camp to do tourist things and explore. It is just across the MidHudson Bridge from all the Roosevelt properties and much, much more. A short trip on the MetroNorth will put you in Grand Central for the day. The property is adequate...clean rooms, good shower, comfortable bed. They are in the middle of refurbishing the property and are doing well. If you are looking for a clean and friendly place this is the one, if you want lots of amenities, go somewhere else. These folks are friendly and make you feel at home, we had a good five night stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel on two occasions to visit the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park.. I am very satisfied with this hotel. It is very clean and cozy and has everything you need, microwave, fridge to keep your restaurant leftovers in, TV, several nice looking lamps, that put the room in a pleasant light, comfy beds and shampoo and soaps, all for a very good price. This hotel is run by Indian owners, who are very nice, helpful, and friendly. They gave me extra blankets upon my request. Considering my son attending the Culinary Institute of America, I will come for visits from time to time, and I will always stay in this hotel. Thank you for your good service!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank YasminE761
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Super 8 Highland NY
#3 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!