“Fun for the Whole Family--We'll Be Back!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Orefield, Pennsylvania
“Fun for the Whole Family--We'll Be Back!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Everything at Rocking Horse Ranch is immaculate. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are clean and impeccably maintained. Nothing is broken or worn. The horses are in good health and have wonderful personalities, and the staff members are friendly and welcoming and helpful. There is so much to do besides riding--including a new indoor water slide that our son LOVED! We enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Room Tip: The main building first floor rooms have the quickest access to activities
7 Thank LauraQ3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Rocking Horse Ranch is like a good glass of wine, it only gets better with age!!! We just left our 5 night stay with our two boys (9 and 11) and family friends. The kids and the adults had a fantatsic time. Let me just mention......cleanliness.....Top priority here!! With so many activities for the children the adults actually had time to relax too! From the water sports, water slides, horsebackriding, fun barn, tennis, mini golf, bingo, scavenger hunt to live music poolside and the complimentarey margaritas, etc. how could you go wrong. Breakfast is bountiful, you name, they got it. Almost to full to even attempt lunch, but even just a quick fresh salad will do. But dinner, know your talking!! Great variety for any eater...Meat, pork, fish, chicken and vegetarian. Still hungry, ask for more, but please leave room for dessert, and the chocolate dipping fountain(or atleast an ice cream cone to go)!! Got kids?? The feel of safety is all around with a staff member at every activity sight and lifequards literally patrol poolside, you won't see them sitting down!! OK....Now the Stable...You won't find skinny, overworked horses here. They are kept beautifully, all 109 of them. As an experienced rider and horse person I honestly can say they care about the safety and well being of their herd. They must being doing something right for me to see the same horses for the last 16 years going strong, and still be able to ride my favorites. The wranglers are top notch, your enjoyment and safety is their priority. Scott or Lisa will take the time to suit the right horse and rider, no worries when it comes the kids who have never ridden. Need instruction, just ask, they are more than willing to share their years of experience with you. Please remember, if you like your ride then you can tip your guide. I always give a little something to show my appreciation for the carefulness with my children, they work so hard in all weather extremes for the love of horses and our enjoyment. If you never visited RHR you're missing out. Since my boys came on their first trip 5 years ago they choose no other vacation each year, just Rocking Horse Ranch. This place is truly a memory in motion!!!

5 Thank mpisani11
Bethany, CT
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My family and I (myself, husband, and two daughters age 10 and 12) had a great time on our second trip to Rocking Horse Ranch. The dinner menu has been expanded since last year. There are more "kid" choices. One great thing about the ranch we noticed this year is that while the weather wasn't GREAT, the ranch continued all activities but moved them indoors. They kept re-arranging the events based on the weather. There was a "rainy day" schedule posted and then there were signs all over with updates based on the weather. The rooms were clean and just as before there was plenty to do. Great time!!!

5 Thank TravelingThomas4
Cranford, NJ
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I booked a last minute one-night stay for my family [7- and 13-year old daughters] over Fourth of July weekend. We arrived around 10:30am on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised that our room was already available to use. It was a great size, with two double beds and a bunkbed as well.

We took a scenic and well-run trail ride before lunch, then hit the outdoor pool which was clean and uncrowded. The kids loved the banana boat ride around the lake too. The Fun Barn was terrific, with ping pong tables, a cool play area for the younger kids and a rock climbing "treadmill."

We expected to have an average dinner, but the food was outstanding and plentiful. My prime rib was truthfully one of the best I've ever eaten and, when I asked for horseradish they even whipped up a special sauce. The dessert bar was incredible too.

On Sunday, we did a morning trail ride and also water skied. It started to rain, but we were able to hang out in the indoor waterpark, which has a terrific winding slide.

All the activities were great and the entire staff was friendly and accommodating. We never checked out the spa, but I have no doubt that it's just as nice as the rest of the facility...

And we will definitely be back to find out!!

4 Thank PSUfanCranford_NJ
CIA-85
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Our family has been visting the ranch for the past 4 summers. This year we book a trip to another ranch with the idea of saving some money, we demanded a refund and checked out after 20 minutes. I was shocked at the stained, dirty, filthy and foul smelling room they expected my family to sleep in.

Checking in at Rocing Horse was like day and night. The grounds are impeccable, Bigsplash waterpark is bright and invititing and our newly renivated room was spotless. On the ride home i asked my 3 children what was their favorite thing at the ranch. I was amazed at all the answers (the horses, water slides, day camp, bungie, fun barn, camel, gluten free pancakes and fresh berries). My favorite thing has to be the staff. Every employee truly went above and beyond with accommodating all our requests and needs.

The kids even talked us into returning for Christmas (they want to learn sking).

3 Thank CIA-85
Southampton
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is a very expensive little get away. We went on a overnight stay and it cost $846.00. It was a kid stay free night, but they only jack up the adult price $100.00 to compensate. The rooms were very dated and were similiar to Best Western at best. Food was mediocre at best. Don't be alarmed when you see a condensed version of the menu at dinner. The menu on the internet site was impressive for all the choices, however only 2/3 entrees to choose from at seating , Pasta noodles with red sauce being one of them - how much does that cost $3? Oh - for extra excitement - its family dining - which I'm not a fan of. I don't care to make small talk to strangers who probably are just being polite for an hour. What your paying for is obviously the horsebacking riding, which we did, but I can't justify the price. It's just not worth it, next time I'll take my kids camping and get $700.00 worth of riding lessons at a horse farm. On a positive note - the pool was beautiful and clean, activities were fun - but I could get a pool at a campground.

8 Thank deb762
northern nj
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Our trip from North NJ is only 90 min. to RHR, but this is a one of a kind place and I'd advise anyone within a 300+ radius to make the trip. It is half dude ranch, half botanical garden. The grounds are beautiful, the barns, corrals and trails well kept, ..The hotel is kept spotless, with staff constantly sweeping, vaccuming, attending the 100's of potted plants and Windexing everything in sight. This place IS NOT the Ritz Carlton,, but the rooms were big, clean, comfortable and well kept. The staff, from the cleaning crew, wranglers, front desk wait staff to the life guards could not have been nicer. Of course you come here to ride horses... They are very well kept. Considering the wranglers have to put up with unpredictable hotel guests AND moody horses all day, they could have not been more patient. I felt comfortable leaving my wife & kids in their hands for their twice daily rides on the begginers trail,, while dad got to go out on the advanced trails and tear it up a bit....There are tons of other things to do for the kids or AS A family.. We all LOVED the indoor and out door pools, water slides, pool volley ball games and poolside contests. We enjoyed our time water skiing, rock climbing, play bocce, fishing and sitting around the campfire singing songs/eating smorres. The family comedians, jugglers and magician shows were all a hoot. The FOOD was not fancy but all meals were "solid."...Tasty, omewhat creative and unlimited... You DO sit family style at large tables with other family's.. I did see one nanny totin snotty lady complain loudly for all to hear that SHE would not sit with strangers.. But my family made friends with another family at our first meal and our kids became fast friends and my wife and I had "cocktail buddy's" for the rest of our stay.. .. A stay at THE ROCKING HORSE is NOT cheap, but you do get your money's worth, especially if you have kids. ,,AND as much as I can't stand snob's, on the other end, there is something to be said about the expense bringing in a clientel that will not "spoil" your vacation by their sense of entitlement.. ALL in ALL , My kids loved this place and we will be coming back... .

Room Tip: Sign up for RHR emails for discount offers and special deals.
2 Thank augustwest73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Mohonk Mountain House
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!