Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
US$101
US$97
Red Roof
1,461 results
All reviewshorseback ridingsnow tubingfun barnpony ridespaddle boatsfamily resortping pongbungee jumpingthe main lodgegirl scout weekendall inclusive resortnightly entertainmentgreat family vacationchef paulsingle parentshows at nightindoor pool
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Went to Rocking Horse Ranch with my son who is an only child. He did bring a friend with him but I believe he would have had a great time anyway. There was plenty of fun activities for the boys to do. They never said the words, "I'm bored." There was always something to do and they made many friends while doing the activities. The workers at Rocking Horse Ranch are great, always have the answers to your questions and always informative about the activities and accommodations. Food is delicious and there is food for everyone. Even the pickiest eater will find something they like to eat. You definitely get your money's worth and I am on budget being a single parent. Nice rooms and clean! Get there, you'll love it!

2  Thank Celeste C
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My family & I (myself 38, husband 42, son 8 & daughter 7) just returned from a wonderful stay at The Rocking Horse Ranch. (4/17-21) The kids had relatively no experience on horses other than the occassional pony ride & my husband & I had not been in years ourselves.

The facility was perfect! The lobby is decorated in typical cowboy/ranch theme with comfy furniture all around perfect for the occassional rest you MAY get in while you are there. The dining room is right off the lobby as are the pool & waterslide area. Lobby bar with constant water (with mutliple types of citrus fruit in it) on the counter to help yourself to as well as coffee/tea/hot chocolate with pastry around the corner whenever you need it. Our room had 2 queen beds & a set of bunks (again the the ranch motif) exceptionally clean & was perfect for us with 2 kids, not the Ritz but more than we needed and expected at a horse ranch.

Activities...wow! Where to start? 1st of all when you check in you get a daily itinerary detailing all of the special programming for the day. Campfire sing a-longs, trivia games, scavenger hunts, stable tours, tug of war games...you name it. That doesnt even count the fun barn with ping pong, volleyball, jumpy house & climbing area. Then there is rock wall climbing, handball, raquet ball, bungee jumping, shuffle board, tennis, kayaking, paddleboats, fishing, basketball, mini golf, outdoor volleyball, shooting practice, archery, mining camp (extra fee for the bag of soil), playground, baseball field, nightly comedy/juggling/magic shows, DJ dance party for the kids oh! and dont forget the HORSES!

The 1st day we signed up for our ride. You get a daily assigned ride time but you can also go in the standby line & if there are extra horses, you can ride then too. One day my daughter & I rode during 3 of the 5 times! I will confess, I was nervous putiing my children on horses that they were soley in charge of. We took them on the pony ride 1st to get them up on a big horse. They arent ponies, they are retired horses from the ranch. A wrangler walks them around a small circle twice. If my children were not old enough to ride on the trails I would have been disappointed in the "pony rides". Off to the real ride. My son who can be a bit reluctant to try new stuff rode Tango. Unfortunately, Tango had a small disagreement with another horse right after my son got on him. I was scared to death! When you hear horse chaos & you see your son on the horse causing it, your heart stops! In a flash (less than a flash actually) 5 or 6 wranglers were at his side calming everything down & making sure he was safe-which he was. I was sure he'd be off that horse with a plan to never return! Nope they made him comfortable, talked him through how to keep the horse away from others (he likes his space) & we were off. Tango stopped for a few snacks along the way & my son had to work hard to keep his focus on the trail & off the greenery. At one point he was just done. Its not easy for a 1st time rider to keep the rules in mind & remember that you are in charge of this huge animal. But by the end of the ride he was in love! He hoped to ride Tango each & every time we rode. There are 3 rides-beginner (walking only), intermediate (walk/trot) & advanced (walk/trot/cantor). We stayed on beginner so we could stay together as a family. The wranglers are amazing! They keep reminding you of the rules & how to be sfae & enjoy the ride. The scenery is astounding-babbling brooks, the hill side blooming in spring, the sound of the horses hooves. "Sounds like music", as my daughter said. It sure does. We loved it!!

The wranglers were amazing (as I stated), thats a huge job keeping care of all of the horses & guests making sure everyone is safe & having a good time. But it doesnt stop there, every single staff member we encountered was great-from housekeeping, wait staff, front desk & beyond. They all have huge smiles & are genuinely happy to assist you. I have travelled a lot & held customer service positions-it isnt always like that. I have to mention 3 people in particular-Shannon (in the stable/wrangler) she was so helpful to my children on our 1st ride. She started their love of horses off on the right foot (or should I say 4 feet?) TJ (stable/wrangler) he looks like he just jumped out of a cowboy movie & was always so eager to answer our 10,000 questions & make sure we were having a wonderful ride. Lastly, the group of lifeguards. I have never seen a more vigilant group of lifeguards. Usually they sit in a chair with that bored to death look on their faces. Not these ones. Its my job to oversee my children but I felt extra safe knowing they were there as well making sure everyone was safe & following the rules. Great job guys!! Overall, I dont know how its done but the staff is A plus material & it sure made our stay that much more enjoyable.

So much more enjoyable in fact, we stayed an extra day! Yahoo! We loved it. We recently went on a Disney Cruise, our family has decided, this vacation was BETTER!

1  Thank Jonoba7
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just returned from a two night stay and wish we had another night. Tried to extend, but they were sold out! This was our first visit to the ranch and we will definitely go back!! Traveled with my mom and two sons, ages 6 & 9. This is my first review on Trip Advisor, but feel compelled to contribute as we had such a great time!

Staff: Left my purse in the car, went to get it around 9pm. Walked by staff member in the pick up area and asked if it was really dark in the lower parking lot, without missing a beat he instantly called George at entrance gate,then walked me to George and George walked me to my car with his flashlight (and btw, it wasn't even that dark). George then recommended I move my car to a closer spot that was right up front. Another example is Kevin who was working in the fun barn, he kept himself SO BUSY, not your typical teenage employee (which there were several of as well). I watched as he took all of the plastic balls and wiped them down with disinfectant wipes then he wiped down all of the ping pong tables, organized the ping pong equipment, gathered/ searched for missing balls from the air guns. I'm a organization freak, so seeing him do this made me happy in a strange way..lol.
He's a gem, deserves a raise, seriously :)
Lifeguards were very attentive!! The non-stop pacing from kiddie pool to slide does Not go unnoticed, every parent I talked to was impressed, nice job. Training very evident.
Many other nice encounters, Ted as a server, well he's just great, ask to sit at his section and leave him a tip people, not at every meal, but something before you check out.
Rooms: Stayed in a bunk room, main lodge 202. Spacious, reminds me of a Disney moderate resort. At night I could hear people coming up the stairs, even had the "Louds" in the room next to us, but we were hardly ever in our room, and when their baby cried, we were so tired that we didn't even care, just glad our kids were out cold and we didn't have to rock anyone to sleep, Ha! Fell asleep early each night 9:30 or so and didn't hear a peep in the halls till at least 7:15, most people with kids are ready to get up at that time anyway. Clean room, shower had great pressure. Forgot our hair dryer and they brought us one that only had a low setting, so just bring your own.
Food: We loved the food, the fruit was fresh and abundant!! So much to choose from. Breakfast buffet had all the staples. Pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon etc. variety of cereals. Had oatmeal every morning with a little brown sugar and put blueberries and strawberries on top, very healthy. The only thing stopping you from eating healthy at the ranch is...you guessed it... temptation!! Lunch buffet, loved it. Made myself a huge salad each day. The lettuce is baby field greens or baby spinach, I had both. Topped it with hard boiled egg, chick peas, red onion, beets and fresh chunks of avocado. Made myself bruschetta on whole wheat, avo and field greens tossed with red onion and balsamic. Perfect. Kids had fries, burgers, pasta. There are so many ingredients on the buffet that with a little imagination you can make what ever the heck you want, and if you are missing something, just ask and they will get it if they can. The most impressive part is how fresh everything is and how well maintained the buffet was. As soon as the sprinkles started to get messy someone cleaned them up...every...single...time!! Go for the fresh stuff and make yourself something delicious. Dinner: good too, but not my favorite as I liked making sure my meals were healthy. I had fish both nights and it was surprisingly superb. Citrus Tilapia loin one night, cooked perfectly, moist, delicious. Sesame Salmon the next, cooked perfectly. Thought it would be dry, expected it to be dry, it was once again perfect and moist. Salads each night were already tossed in salad bowls, caesar one night and ranch dressing the next. They were super delicious, but super fattening. Just had a taste. Should have spoken up and I'm sure they would have brought me a green salad. There was always a red meat, fish and chicken. The prime rib looked great, and my sons steak on the second night, cooked medium rare was perfect. The food is perfect for the target clientele, and exceeded our expectations. Had a spa lunch at a Four Seasons recently and guess what, every single thing I had there was available at the ranch. Greens, fruits, nuts, sunflower seeds, yogurts.....it is all there. The three o'clock sampling is, once again perfect. The last day we were there 4/19, it was a fresh pasta station tossed with lemon, chili, and 3 fresh salsas along with a wine tasting with various cheese selections.. goat, manchego, asiago, brie and a few others. I paired the goat cheese with the peach salsa... delicious. There was also fresh hummus & flatbread and a tomato basil mozz mixture. Only wish I could have sampled the wines, but had to drive back to Boston.
Omg, haven't even gotten to the activities!! Well, we did everything possible. I did a little batting practice with my son, endless ping pong games, volleyball, fishing (caught 4 fish, took pork products from breakfast as bait), kayaks...everything, can't list em all, if it's on the website, we did it. Favorites were: Rifle range, tug a war lead by Bullseye, the bungee jump (yes it has the longest line, if it's too long just leave and come back later) We were there while the resort was at full capacity and it somehow didn't feel that crowded. It's about connecting with your kids and your family, which means DOING things together, laughing and experiencing stuff together. Not just sitting there watching your kids do stuff. If you're kinda lazy or expect things like room service and hotel safes and lockers at the stables, just go somewhere else and leave the ranch to those who get what this place is all about. It's about making "Remember when..moments" Leave your Louis at home ladies, this is not a place to bring your valuables. Why someone needs a locker at the stables is beyond me. Have a ping pong or bb gun challenge with your kids or spouse. Challenge another family to a volleyball game, see who can do the tread wall the longest etc.
Quickly, the horses. Loved it, if you are an "advanced rider" please don't hate on the ranch for not challenging you. Target clientele are those of us who are not riders, simply put. Go to your own specialized riding camp somewhere else, have fun while you're here, but don't ask the ranch to be something it is not. There are over a HUNDRED horses here, horses poop, sometimes you smell it, so what. One of my favorite things was hanging out with Misty, a wrangler horse, who is quite possibly the sweetest most cuddly horse ever. She was tied at the fence while the riders were loading and several times I would just sit there are pet her while she was waiting to go back out. For me, that was better than riding. So, in conclusion, buck up and go if you can afford it. If its a stretch for you financially, then don't go because then you are going to be one of the people thinking about all the money you are spending and not really enjoying yourself. Great value for the money in my opinion. I wish "Five Star Dad" with the bad review would have left because then I could have stayed another day :)

6  Thank apvc
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This was a great experience ,great food and drink .the kids loved there room ,the boys had bunk beds made from logs ,plenty of great indoor and outdoor activities for the whole family to do, you dont have time to be bored. horse back riding on trails ,paddle boat,mini golf ,bananer boat, water skiing .rock wall climbing,indoor and outdoor water rides and pools, the list goes on.We stayed two nights and 3 days .the management and staff were excellent and friendly .The rocking horse ranch was a trip filled with great memories that will stay with us a lifetime...The best vacations are the all inclusive ones you got what you paid for,great time ,great food, great memories ,great price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mario p
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I just returned from my week at RHR with the family. We've been there before and this time was no different. The activities are first rate no matter what age (6 and 12). I love that it gets the kids away from the TV and computer and they don't even miss it! My 6 year old is a very picky eater, but there was always something on the menu for him -- even got him to try some new things. The food was absolutely wonderful! I don't know who's in charge of staff training, but they are to be commended. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave they can't do enough for you - always a smile and "hello, can I help you?". Its also amazing how they keep everything so clean even with kids running around. With the economy what it is right now, at least I know I'll get my money's worth of activities, accommodations, and meals. Really perfect for a family get-away!
Keep up the good work!!