“A real gem for families!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
New York
“A real gem for families!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was our first stay at the Rocking Horse Ranch (2 adults, one 3 y.o. and one 6 months old baby). From the moment we got it until the moment we left, the staff was always making sure the service was impeccable. I have to say, I have rarely seen such an enthusiasm to make things right. Our daughter loved the water park, the horse riding, the bungee and the kayak! Even parents were offered wine tasting and cheese samples from the Hudson Valley. Generally speaking, the choice of food was decent and the quality was also good considering the quantities they have to make every day.

Only negative aspect was the quality of the mattresses. They were not very comfortable...with back pain after 2 days. We were put in the Oklahoma wing where there wasn't any wifi connection either. If given the choice, try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.

I would highly recommend this resort. We stayed 3 nights but could have easily spent another night or two.

Room Tip: try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Akshay S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We went on a bus trip to the Rocking Horse Resort and spent 4 nights. It just happened to be senior week at the resort! Not high school seniors! The resort was very nice, great pools and
outdoor activity. I'm sure this is fantastic for kids in the summer. The unlimited horse-back riding was really nice. The staff at the resort were fantastic, knowlegable, helpful and friendly. The
rooms were rustic (to be expected) and were kept very clean as was the rest of the resort. The only down side was the food. The meals were more in line with the Old Country buffet etc and not what you would expect at a resort. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and diner was served.

Room Tip: All rooms have 2 queen beds and some also have a set of bunk beds.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank captearl
Sparta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My 17 year old daughter and I have just returned from our tenth trip to Rocking Horse Ranch. We have been going every year over Columbus day with friends . This was our last trip for the next four years as my daughter will be off to college next year and we are definitely sad about that fact. My daughter rides all day long between the reserved rides and the standby line and she just loves the ranglers that she has gotten to know over the years, especially Scott and TJ, along with Patti, Sara, Alvaro and Shannon. And I am sure I have forgotten someone and I'm sorry about that. She was still hoping to ride Fireball but it didn't happen! (LOL). Thank you for a great ten years of fun. We love the place and I'm sure we will be back when it fits into our schedule!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We went for 5 days during great weather in the summer. We have a baby and older toddler. Lots of things to keep the toddler busy, from first thing in the morning until bedtime, though the ideal ages for RHR seems more 5-10. Very clean but not "luxury." My toddler routinely asks when we are going back...great memories.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NMS1234
Rocky Point, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Went to rocking horse on a last minute whim last 2 days of September. As luck would have it kids stay for free! Had a lovely clean room in the Arizona wing and went straight to the corral to ride. We had to go standby as we didn't have a reserved spot at that time but we had no problem getting a horse. Took the beginner tour. It's 1 full hour of a beautiful ride thru the woods. The staff were knowledgable and friendly. Food was delish and so many other things to do. Highly recommend this wonderful gem!

• Stayed September 2013
Bronx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I had been dying to visit Rocking Horse ever since my sister in law had told me about her trip last year. It was something I really couldn't wait to take my three daughters to do. The pricing always seemed to be a little high for the price I could budget. I got quite luck on my last call to the ranch finding out that they were running excellent last minute specials. I quickly took my chance to book. Upon arriving to the ranch I was pleasantly surprised with the very clean unique surroundings. I can honestly say it was everything I pictured then some. I would recommend the ranch to anyone that loves the laid back feel of their surroundings, I felt safe letting the children roam and enjoy some freedom from their mommy.

The only bad parts of the trip was the fact that there were so many flies in the dining area, granted it is a horse ranch and this is to be expected I felt as though there has to be a way to reduce the massive numbers of them. The food for breakfast and lunch was quite boring and I found it more cafeteria style than resort. There was many seniors in house which made it a little awkward at times because my children didnt have a chance to meet many children their own ages,

The great aspects were that the Dinner was wonderful, many choices and high quality, the staff is exceptional always going above and beyond. The Front Desk Staff is worth their weight in gold, not matter how many times I annoyed them with silly requests and questions they always had a prompt answer delivered by a great attitude. The front desk manager Nikki is a true gem helping me with my trip in many ways and not batting an eye at any request I made. Victor in the dining room was also such an enjoyable person to speak with, he is so funny! Liz from the pool area was great with the kids and made me feel safe while they were in the water. They all made me feel as if I was a part of their family which is very rare now adays to find at a place. Whoever the owner is should feel proud that they have the staff they currently have as I place high value on each one.

I hope to visit the Ranch in the future, but hope they can purchase some bug spray before I arrive!

Room Tip: I would suggest to spend the extra few dollars to be in the Main Lodge
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TNickens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Let me start by saying that I really wanted to give this place a 5, and with regards to certain aspects of the ranch, they absolutely deserve a 5 (non-stable staff, hospitality, alcohol pricing, how awesome Annie is, etc.). Hopefully in the notes below I can qualify the 3 rating that I landed on.

First of all, we were here on our honeymoon. I know, kind of an odd place to wind up for a honeymoon, but let me explain. This was our last stop, and knowing that my now wife absolutely LOVES horses (grew up riding, eventing, jumping, worked at a barn since she could walk, etc.), and since we're definitely fans of the whole all inclusive thing, (AND, since we were already going to be a skip away at a B&B in the Poconos), we decided to go for it. We didn't mind that it was more of a "family" thing than a "romantic" or "honeymoon" thing; we went in with very few expectations and all the kiddos just added to the fun (we don't have kids yet, but they make us laugh).

As much as I hate to say it, I truly believe that the horse experience could be a lot better. To be fair, RHR is a HUGE undertaking. Understand that when you go here, they have 100+ horses and somewhere around (I'm guessing) 400-500+ rides on any given day, depending on the time of year, the day, and how many people queue up in the standby line to ride again. It is actually kind of amazing to see that many people get on and off that many horses. That being said, the experience is a little anti-climatic and poorly designed. I rode three times during the weekend that we visited, once in the beginning group and twice in the intermediate group. For each hour long trail ride, we never once got going any sooner than half an hour in. So at least half of each of the trail rides were taken up by getting people situated. And again, I know that it's a huge undertaking, and I know that some of the guests can be difficult (what can I say, some of them city folk are idiots and forget that they're on a one ton beast), but I really can't stand being treated like a child by the staff. Yup I got it, pull their head away so they don't eat, I was doing fine with that, thank you. Volume isn't an issue, you don't have to yell. Wouldn't kill you to smile sir, it's a beautiful day out here. No problem, I'll just hang out and try to prevent my ornery horse from jamming it's nose straight up the horse butt in front of me for half an hour on this romantic honeymoon getaway. That's the other thing - unless you're riding advanced, expect a "nose-to-butt" horse trail ride with plenty of starts and stops (depending on how long the horse conga line is). My wife was gracious enough to skip the advanced ride and join me in the intermediate ride. We were lucky enough to be riding nose-to-butt, her directly in front of me, when one of the staff riders swooped in, grabs her horse, and whisks her away, without so much as an explanation or any words whatsoever. I felt like shouting "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MUH WOMAN, HORSE THIEF?!" but I probably would have received daggers from the already-in-a-foul-mood, foul-mouthed riding staff. Oh well. Me and Calamity had a great time by ourselves 'cause we independent women who don't need no man. Anyway, I digress. Most of the families coming here plop their kid in the beginning queue so it doesn't really matter what the experience is like really; the tykes get to ride a horse and control a 2,000 pound animal for an hour which is a pretty awesome thing for a kid to do. However, don't expect a whole lot else out of the trail rides. Although I had an awesome time with my wife regardless of the circumstances, I do wish that the rides had been better orchestrated. One quick note: the "riding demonstrations" that they give every morning are a joke. Left and right to steer, back to stop, way back to back up, you get up with your left foot first, badda bing badda boom smell you later. OK, I guess we're experts now? They could have been a little more demonstrative with the demonstration is all.

For the most part, the food was bomb. We were a little disappointed with the lunch BBQ (bland mac & cheese, no pork/steak) and some of the food items had much to be desired, but overall it was great. We were impressed with how the dining room seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. I've been on several cruises in my day and none of them ran quite as well as this place. Again, it is definitely an appeal if you have kiddos: everyone can get whatever the hell they want and it's included. What's not to like? However, as a beer snob, I was disappointed that there weren't more micro brew choices.

Our two favorite parts: chatting with Noelle the bartender (9 months pregnant, you go girl!) and Annie (who we played HORSE with and jokingly referred to as our best friend for the weekend). Honestly, these two experiences alone bumped this trip from a 2 to a 3. It was great interacting with them and we loved the vibe that they were putting out. Have them give a few customer service / social skill lessons to the stable staff and you'll be all set! :-)

As the title says, overall we had a great time, there are a few things that could have been better. In all honesty we will probably try out a few more of the ranches in the area before we would be willing to give RHR another go.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tjbauerle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!