“Girl Scout weekend at the Ranch”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Spent December 13-15 at the Ranch with 4 adults and 6 girls.. Upon arrival front desk clerks were very friendly and attended to us with patience and didnt rush us through check-in. We had 2 adjoing rooms, so the girls could walk between each other's room. The rooms were spacous and clean with two queen beds and bunk beds with enough room for 6 people. Food was included and we had more than enough food - saturday we ate every 2 hours! Breakfast and lunch were buffet but dinner was selected from a menu with 3 courses, but dessert was buffet. Outside activities included snow tubing and skiing and horse back. The girls enjoyed skiing and tubing, but felt they rode the horses too long as it was very cold on saturday. Therefore they refused to ride on sunday preferring to skiing on the big hill inside. We had a good time and would recommended the Ranch to families.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Limbeybear
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is the 2nd year our family has gone to Rocking Horse Ranch for a family getaway and we already are talking about our trip there next year. We LOVE every minute of it. There is something for every one.....and every mood. You can sit by the fire, go out in nature, ride horses, play in the fun barn, swim in the indoor water park, work out, or eat amazing food. No matter what, there is something perfect for you to do. The staff there are polite and attentive. The horses are well taken care of and loved. The wranglers are amazing!!!!!! This place is better than Disney!!!!

2  Thank SaraJason2013
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I took my son here a year ago for Labor Day weekend and it was wonderful! The fireworks were really great, the shows are fabulous and there is no shortage of things to do - even if you don't ride horses! So much fun! During that trip, I would say the down-side was the food and the dining arrangements. My son did not like sitting with other families at the same table. It was awkward. One night we had to sit with a family that was just miserable. They never made eye contact with us and they were arguing the whole time. BUT, this year they changed everything in the dining room and you can eat at your own table. Much better! The food is also much, much better. A huge improvement! I had a few minor incidents this year and management really tried to make me feel better. Steve, the owner, even came out to talk to me and promised that my next visit would be extra special. A nice touch! We really enjoyed this trip. I can't say enough about this place. It is super clean! The grounds are beautiful, there is so much to do, the pools are great, the shows, the food, the staff - all of it is really fabulous. My son and I are both picky - in many ways - and we love it here! We start planning our next trip before we even leave. It really is a gem of a find. I plan on coming back back here for many years to come. We visited in summer and fall and now we are planning a winter trip to enjoy all of the activities available for winter-fun! I highly recommend. You just can't go wrong with Rocking Horse Ranch - my son and I wish we could live there!

Room Tip: Main Lodge is the way to go
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dina N
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We went to the Ranch over NJ week and we had a blast. My 4 & 6 year old just were always busy with outdoor and indoor activities!! There is bungee bouncing, indoor pools and water slides and just lots of outdoor games. My boys loved shuffle board and ping pong and would have played for hours
The food was amazing mostly buffets, and the staff was just accommodating for our picky eating child.
There was the tastings hour which was a little sampling of Hudson valley best wineries which was complimentary.
We especially enjoyed the kid themes dance parties at night and all the entertainment geared around kids. It was fun fun fun!!!
The decor was cozy and rustic and the smell of the fireplace was unforgettable
I wish it wasn't that pricey though bc I'd go every season :)
I hope to return again probably during a different season to see the decor of the ranch.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank alilovesray
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Last year at this time (NJ week), my family and I spent a short break at Woodloch Pines and decided this year to try something new. Since the both are family orientated and all inclusive, I thought a comparison would help. Just some things to keep in mind, being that it is in November you can't take advantage of all the summer and winter activities both resorts offer. What sets RHR apart is that it is a horse ranch and you can ride at all levels as long as you are over the age of 7 and pony rides are available for the little ones. WP has horse riding but it is off the premises. RHR is extremely clean and updated. We stayed in the main hotel in a one bedroom with 2 queen beds and 1 bunk bed. The rooms were spacious. Bathrooms are clean and updated. We blew a fuse and maintenance fixed it right away, the phone was not working and again within minutes the problem was resolved. RHR service was excellent and every staff member that we encountered was extremely nice. We found the staff much more inviting and more friendly than the staff at WP. We stayed at the Springbrook section in an Edgewater suite at WP and the room was much bigger than RHR (2 queen beds, 2 bathrooms, a separate living area with pull out sofa, 2 T.V.s etc.) There was however a musty, damp smell which wasn't too awful because they do provide a dehumidifier. The suite was not in the main hotel but was close to the indoor pool(See my review on WP). One problem we encountered at RHR was noise. We were on the first floor and the room above us was noisy at all hours of the night...kids jumping on the beds...running back and forth...and I get it...its a hotel filled with children, I have three of my own...the noise was unbearable. We did complain and the hotel tried to help the situation, they place signs in the halls and mostly this is where parents are at fault. But the noise went on all night, we were woken up at 12 and then again at 3 AM it sounded like the horses were kept in the room above us. The hotel did comp us some drinks when we were checking out. Although its convenient when you have little ones to be on the first floor, I don't advise it because you can hear everything above you including conversations. Also, the television in the rooms at RHR was small and the kids could not view it from their bunk beds. Indoor pool at RHR was awesome for the kids. They have little slides, a huge winding slide, little spray ground, a climbing contraption and the pool starts at 2 ft. and goes up to 4 ft. Perfect for kids! The lifeguards were excellent. I am a helicopter mom and those guys and gals watched those kids like hawks! We were thoroughly impressed. The pool was immaculate and we thought it was much better than WP indoor pool. Now, WP does have a separate indoor adult pool and hot tub which RHR does not, they are both good but as far as entertaining the kids we like RHR indoor pool better. Food: Popcorn, tea, coffee, hot cocoa is offered all the time as much as you want at RHR. Both resorts have certain dining hours(5:15 and 6:30), RHR does have an earlier one than WP(started at 6)which was a problem for us last year because our kids are young. Breakfast and Lunch are buffet style and Dinner had table service. The food was okay, much better than WP, which was inedible for us. The kids loved the dessert especially the chocolate fountain. There are options for vegetarians and they will cater to any special dietary need. The meat was inedible at RHR, the waitress asked us what temperature we would like the steak...temperature? It was like rubber. The food is okay, breakfast is probably the best. The wait staff is friendly but long, pointy fingernails should not be allowed they get into people's plates when serving and it is unsanitary and unappetizing. One night we had a cocktail waitress and the next night we did not, so consistency was a little off. But overall dining, the food and the staff was a much better experience than WP. They also had a fall festival tasting with local wines and cheeses and we enjoyed it. Activities for kids: There is rock climbing, bungy jumping, pony rides, horse riding, petting zoo( the kids loved this), arts and crafts,fishing, paddle boats, archery, shooting and a fun farm. Fun farm has a bounce house and indoor gym with shooting foam ball guns, ping pong tables, volley ball net etc. The only thing this fun farm was missing was a bathroom, having to walk back to the hotel was a nuisance. It was much cleaner than WP indoor gym, WP gym may have been larger but they didn't have a bounce house and RHR was more updated and clean. There is also an indoor arcade and wii room located in the main hotel. WP does have bumper cars, bumper boats, and go carts, RHR does not have this. WP definitely entertains the kids, they constantly have something to do for the kids. If it rains they have people providing loads of indoor fun. People come to RHR for the riding mainly that is the difference. Horse riding: we were told our kids were too young, my oldest is 7 and he is 4ft. tall and was not allowed to ride but when we took the horse drawn carriage ride, the wrangler was giving us info on the hotel and said that their youngest riders start at 7, we saw some kids on horses that were smaller than my son, so we were a bit bummed. Our kids had a blast anyway. Both resorts have spas. WP has an actual spa with pools and tubs and RHR does not. They have saunas down by the gym. I booked a massage because I injured my back while I was there. RHR has three rooms set up and offer facials and massage. My massage was fantastic! I think her name was Lee Anne, well she really helped me, my back pain was gone. What RHR has to offer as far as massage and facials is absolutely fine but if you are looking for that true spa experience then WP is your place. Entertainment: we saw Anthony Salazar(illusionist) and he really got the kids involved. He was so much fun to watch, we really enjoyed his show and so did the kids Overall, the trip was fun, the grounds were nice, staff was great, hotel is super clean and the pool is a blast for the kids. WP is fun too! I think WP has more stuff for the kids to do but like I said most people come to RHR for the horses and if that's what you like then RHR is your place. RHR seemed a bit more upscale, definitely nicer on the inside, food is better, and it is maintained. We would definitely come back. We would go back to WP too but they need to fix their food, I am a NYC girl at heart, may reside in NJ now, and I am picky about food. Good cuisine is part of a good vacation. RHR makes the effort, WP does not and any reviews that you read that say the food is better than some cruises...well I absolutely do not agree.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor in the main hotel,noise is an issue if you have a ton of kids above you.
19  Thank amsolu
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Just got back from 2 days 1 night at Rocking Horse Ranch with my kids 13 and 11 and my friend and her two kids same age. This is a great place for kids. My kids could go off on their own with their friend, and I didn't have to worry about them. Even though it's "pricey", it's worth it. They let you use the facilities before check-in and after check-out so you can really get your money's worth. It's nice not having to stick your hand in your pocket every minute. The horseback riding is awesome. Even though you are only guaranteed one ride for each night you stay, our kids were able to easily ride two extra times. The food is not great, but there are enough options that makes it ok. The kids love the buffet experience and of course the desserts. There are plenty of free snacks in between meals as well. The place is very well run, very clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. I had a room with 2 queen beds and a bunk bed. Theoretically, we didn't have to share (which is very rare to find in a hotel) but the bunk beds are uncomfortable. The bathroom is perfectly adequate and we even had an extra sink.

Room Tip: Main lodge is the place to be.
3  Thank hdon
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just returned from our 7th trip to the Ranch. This trip included a three night say. My kids (age 16 and 13) Love the ranch. They ended up having 15 rides this trip with the last ride including my oldest being given Scott's horse Trigger (Thanks Scott) My youngest also became the defender of Roy (A smaller horse who some were making fun of) by riding him 3 of the rides. Steve (the owner) through the entire resort staff make you feel like family and are so accommodating. Steve is always willing to listen (really listen) to any ideas you have to make the ranch a better place to visit (How many owners do that???). As always, Scott, TJ (I know, heels down, toes up), Danielle, Abby, Mary, Patti, Shannon, Sarah and all the rest of the Wrangler always make you feel special. Thanks for one great advanced ride after the next. Not that it was ever an issue in prior visits but the quality of food was dramatically improved as well. As with every visit, we saw folks we had met in the past as well as made some new friends. Thanks again to the entire staff. Already looking forward to our next visit which thanks to Abby conspiring with my daughters apears to be sometime this coming spring.

Room Tip: Recommend staying in the main lodge especially if you plan on using the indoor pool

Room Tip: Try and have a room in the main lodge (especially if you plan on using the indoor pool)
1  Thank Darren46592
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#6 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!