“Great Family Destination” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Great Family Destination”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our stay at RHR was very nice. It is clean, very well maintained and there is lots to do. When our family arrived we were graciously greeted by the front desk staff who were courteous and friendly. We arrived a bit early and they allowed us to check in (which was a huge plus traveling with kids eager to start their vacation.) Rooms were nice, ours had a bunk bed with two queens and a decent bathroom. We weren't in the room that much anyway because there was so much to do.

As soon as the kids saw the indoor pool (as we walked past the front desk) they wanted to get in. We started off in the indoor pool, which was nice and then we headed to the splash zone and indoor water slide which the kids liked too. Indoor pool area was open til 9:30pm. The outdoor pool area was nice too, had a water slide, splash area for little ones and a snack/bar stand. Free ice water station at the pool was nice, in fact their were several around the whole resort which was a plus on hot days. Plenty of seating by the pool and some cabana like tents for shade. They had live music at the pool which was great, and one day we had free tasting of cheeses, chips, salsa and jalapeno poppers etc. Also, we were provided with free pina coladas (alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions). BTW, the pool temperature was perfect, no "cold shock" while getting in. Outside pool closed at 7pm, which I thought is a bit early.

The lake was nice, a little bit small though. None the less, we enjoyed some kayaking, paddle boats, water skiing, fishing and the banana boat rides. I Wish the boat house at the dock carried/sold bait for fishing. Also, the cane poles they had for fishing did not work that well. (could have brought the kid's poles but didn't think of it). Amenities around the lake area were fun too. Mini golf, bungee bouncing for the kids and the fun barn. I Wish the activities by the lake stayed open a little longer. Fun barn had table tennis, moon bounces etc., but was really loud because of air cannons shooting foam balls. Tennis/Basketball courts were in good shape. We roasted marshmallows one night by the lake, with some campfire songs performed by a gentleman hired by the resort. He was great, but I must say that the resort person overseeing the campfire was a little crabby and condescending. Maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. The shooting range was o.k., could have been a little better for archery. Gem mining was really cool for the kids, you buy a small sack of dirt with gems in it and use the moving water to mine the gems out. We went horseback riding which was really cool. My horse Otis was a great horse who was patient and I thank him for the nice trip on the trails. My kids enjoyed the horses so much we went back for a second ride the next day.

The dining was well above average, breakfast and lunch was help yourself buffet style. It was kind of hectic, typical feeding frenzy with people running around to shovel food onto their plates (a common theme at most buffet style meals). Tons of quality choices at both meals, decent quality breakfast foods like eggs, sausage, bacon, bagels, cereals, pancakes, french toast etc., as well as burgers, fries, bbq chicken, pulled pork and such for lunch. Outdoor lunch picnic was great. Fantastic assortment of fresh fruit was offered at both meals along with many drink choices. I probably would have preferred OJ without the pulp (just me) and a reduced fat milk choice instead of whole milk (1% or 2% would be good). Maybe I could have asked, but really not a big deal. Dinner was a sit down occasion, starting off with soup and salad with breadsticks. Main courses consisted of good choices such as pasta, steak, pork chops, ribs, fish or chicken breast. I would have liked to see more variety pertaining to kids meals. I know I could have asked for more kid friendly meals, but I feel that a small section on the menu should be dedicated to a variety of kids meals so you know what is available. My kids tend to be a little picky when they get grilled cheese made with giant pieces of texas toast and mac n' cheese that comes out made with baked penne and topped with crushed crackers and real melted cheese. These foods looked great to me, but my kids don't prefer a fancy take on such foods. Lastly, desserts were pretty good, choices of cakes and pies were good but by the last night it had the "same old choices feel" so I preferred the make your own ice cream cone station. Good idea for dessert.

The entertainment was good, the juggling show was excellent. The kids enjoyed that show greatly.

Overall, our stay at the resort was really nice. Very family oriented and well organized. I would certainly recommend RHR to other families.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Anthonydor39

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

In full transparency, I know the founder of RHR (It's now run by her son). I owned a small business in the area and she is would frequent my shop.
As a result, when our daughter was looking for a summer job, I contacted her and she kindly forwarded our daughter's resume to the barn manager. Our daughter was lucky enough to get a job as a wrangler (Hey, connections or not, you still have to have some riding ability and the right work ethics today to get a job, right?)
So, when my husband's nieces were planning their 13th birthday celebration, since our daughter had to work most weekends, (realities of working during summer vacation) my husband's sister-in-law suggested we all meet at the Ranch!
I'd grown up in the area, so I knew of Rocking Horse, but had never stayed here. And with our daughter working here, we heard from her how well run everything was, how people came from around the world and how guests who had been coming for years had welcomed her to the barn family, instead of the other way around! That's quite amazing!
And it didn't disappoint. We didn't check in with any special treatment expected. As a matter of fact, on Sunday, when our daughter had to go to work, she wasn't allowed to join us at lunch (she was an employee that day, not a paying guest - besides as a wrangler, she would have stank-up the restaurant something fierce, or so she said!). She wasn't even appointed to us on the trail when we rode, we were all reluctant to say who we were at first, but family is what it's all about at the Ranch, so we went with the herd, so to speak.
But I jump ahead...From the moment you reach the lobby, you get the feeling that you're going to be taken care of. The front desk was busy, but we were attended to quickly and efficiently. A really nice feature that big resorts don't offer but RHR does is that you can come in early. Your room won't be ready until 3 (or 4, I forget) but you can check in earlier and at check out, you can leave past the noon check out time. You're free those days to eat in the restaurant, go on the horseback rides, swim in the pool...fully enjoy the facilities. Makes for a really nice, really long weekend stay!
Another nice thing is that when we signed up for the horseback riding the next day and the dinner reservations that evening, we didn't need to fuss with it again during our stay - that is unless we wanted to. So, our time for the horseback riding as 9.10 and dinner was 6.30. How great is that?
Our room was huge with two very comfortable beds. We have a 15 year old son and our 19 year odl daughter, so a second bathroom would have been ideal, but that's on us!
Our family of 10 ranging from a 6-3/4 year old to an 80+ year old had no issues with the food offered. Everything was excellent, including drink selections and seating arrangments (phew!). Why, there were even decent wines and micro brews for adults during dinner and afterward from the Saloon.
Our first full day together, we gathered for breakfast, some opting for eggs prepared our way or scrambled which was offered at the buffet, along with breakfast meats, sides, bagels, scones, lots of fresh fruit, muffin tops, and yogurt.
Then the entire family stayed together as we stood in line for our horse riding assignments.
Our daughter went to the barn as she had done for many mornings, but this time as a guest. She was assigned a horse, as were we all. After telling the barn manager that I'd never been on a horse, he pointed me toward Morgan, one of their most experienced and gentlest horses. So much so that several wranglers commented on how lucky I was to get him. Matt, the wrangler for our group that day, was particularly attentive. Maybe he knew how nervous I was, in any case, he made me feel so comfortable, I looked forward to riding again the next day.
Grandpa and one of the soon-to-be 13 year olds stayed behind. They were so engrossed with what the ferrier was telling them, that they spent the rest of the weekend filling us all in on some horse shoeing facts!
I think we did everything the Ranch had to offer! I spent most of my time at the pool. I must say, the happy hour daiquiris were a very nice touch...everyone else did the banana boat, kayaked, played in the fun house, jumped on the trampoline, played shuffleboard...A highlight was on Sunday, during a scheduled water skiing activity, since no one else signed up, the boat captain even allowed me to sit in the boat to take pictures of my sister-in-law waterskiing. I got such great shots and a pretty fun boat-ride too! It's these little things that help guests remember their stay.
On our final day there, our daughter was able to sleep in later than any other work day - what a treat! Usually, she has to get up at 4am to get to work on time! We had the distinct pleasure in seeing her in action and when we went out on the ride, no special treatment, she wasn't even our wrangler! Tara filled us in on the history of the Ranch. She had gone to preschool at the day care and now in her 30's she had been working there for more than half of her life. Tara's father was the GM which made me feel even better that my daughter was also part of this loyal extended family.
And that family feeling was evident throughout our stay. Every detail was taken care of like when visiting your favorite aunt for the summer - your time with her is precious and you know she's looking out for you. That's what it felt like during this trip to RHR. It may have been our first, but as the group organizer said to me as we were all saying our good byes, "Let's do this every year!" Yes, let's!! Thank you RHR - I'm sure it won't be a birthday our nieces will soon forget! Until next time!!

2 Thank CDD-NY
Finksburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was our second trip to Rocking Horse. Our first was many years ago. Enjoyed horseback riding almost every day. Resort caters especially to the younger children. Could add some activities for the adults. Try to get a room in the main building. Website advertises free wifi in the rooms but after checking in and going to our room in the Oklahoma building found out that it is only in the main lodge. Food was very good. Had outdoor bar-b-que every other day of our stay. Had a problem getting hot water for our showers. We were told that it is from so many people using it at the same time. Only thing was we had two rooms. One showered around 9 or 10 at night, one showered around 8 or 9 in the morning. Make sure you watch the horses leave the ranch for the night. It is something the kids will love. Rooms were basic and a/c was noisey..

Room Tip: Choose top floor of main lodge. It will have wifi and less noise.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
West Orange, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I've gone there twice once with just my son and once with my nephew and son. First time even with the life guards present, my son slipped off the floating squares and there were way too may people in the pool and it was very rough. When my son slipped off the floating squares he went down under the water behind a large man, thank god I was watching as even though my son could swim he was having trouble coming back up getting his head above water due to the roughness, I had to drive in myself and push him up and take him out, the lifeguards never noticed anything wrong. Others nearby noticed and even commented on it. I was hesitant to return after that but my son loved the place. After a long debate I returned determined not to ever take my eyes off him in that water. The second time we were leaving our hallway onto the outside metal stairs. It had rained during the night and the stairs were still wet, water on metal VERY DANGEROUS, before I knew it I was tumbling down the stairs. Although the staff members responded when people alerted them it was very surprised that there was no follow up. I was hurt and even people at dinner commented on it and that they saw it and what a nasty fall it was. I went to the front desk to alert them to the dangerous situation and that maybe they should either close off stairs after bad weather or put some rubber down or make sure the stairs are dried, so no one else would get hurt and was incredibly surprised at their indifference. They didn't seem to show much interest even though I told them I was hurt and didn't want to see it happen to anyone else. I was extremely lucky I didn't break anything but was in pain from soft tissue injury for a few months after that. No one at the ranch ever even bothered to follow up while I was there to see if I was ok after the fall. I found this profoundly disappointing and probably won't return due to this. So if you are going, BE CAREFUL. Safety should be a priority and they should care.

cttishc

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Carrie T
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our family (including children 8 and 11) just returned from the Rocking Horse Ranch and we had the BEST time!!! The facility has so many fun things to do for the entire family. My eight year old was crying when we had to leave. The activities they have are endless. The resort is extremely clean and the employees are very helpful and pleasant. If we needed something we got it without a fuss. I saw the staff disinfecting throughout the day, which for me is a HUGE PLUS!!!They have water located throughout the ranch and outside to help everyone stay hydrated. Everything you need is at this ranch. You never need to leave for anything. My children loved all the outdoor amenities. We played tennis, mini golf, bocci, shuffle board, kayaked, water skied and so much more. They LOVED the rock wall and bungee jumping. They even have a rock wall, jumpy house and climbing house indoors just in case of rain. The indoor activities were great too. There was bingo, karaoke, card games, and more. The nightly entertainment was FANTASTIC too. They had jugglers and game shows. The food was good and the dinner menu great! I have food allergies and the staff made sure the food I ate was safe. They even got the special milk I have to drink. I could go on with great things to say about this place. I would highly recommend the Rocking Horse Ranch for families.

morrisville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our first trip to RHR. I found the building and property to be extremely clean and well kept. I appreciated the hand sanitizer stations throughout the ranch. My son and husband had a wonderful time miniature golfing, fishing, out on the lake, in the pool etc. etc.. I found it to be very relaxing and enjoyed my massage at the spa. The food selection was very good even for myself a vegetarian. The ratatouille was fantastic! My compliments to the chef! The staff was extremely friendly. Thank you Molly for not only saying hi to my son when you would see him but addressing him by name. Annie was great too! My only regret is that we did not visit the RHR sooner. We will be back!

Location
East Rutherford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I (family of 5 with ages ranging from 5 to 72) visited RHR for a long weekend during the Independence Day Holiday. My 5 year old daughter had the time of her life and has requested that we cancel our August summer vacation (that she has been looking foward to all year) and go back to RHR instead! She had an awesome time riding the "real" horses (not ponies) -- Calahan, Sundance, and Dixie and had an awesome time in the pools (indoor and outdoor kiddie slides are awesome -- indoor ones are fun for adults too -- speaking fom my experience ;0) ), playing mini golf, trying out some fishing (Huk Fin style), feeding the fish in the lake, getting to pet the horrses and hold/pet a bunny....and cant leave out the "dance parties" at night! We all also enoyed the friendly camel, zebra, donkeys, pig, and goats as well as the stable tour gieven by Meryl (I think that was her name).. my daugter still remembers what the horses eat and that some horses eat special food because one of the horses has a food allergy....LOL Jack the cat was also very adorable! It was a very busy weekend and we were exhausted by the time we got home. What is incredibly impressive about this place is that i did have a minior complaint during my stay, the owner contacted me personally to resolve my issue. This was unbelieveable to both my husband and I as we have never received such personal attention and concern for our well-being and enjoyment of an establishment. I can say with certainty that if you visit this place and dont have a good time, if you let them know, the owner will make sure you do! Looking forward to making another trip in the Fall (I would cancel our August vaction and go there as my 5 year-old requested if we hadnt had already paid for our other vacation.) Also, just to add -- as other reviewers have noted, the rooms are impeccably clean -- the maid service also does a great job. The maintenance staff is also very nice -- we struck up a nice conversation with one of the staff in the elevators and he remembered us and was sure to say "hi" each time we ran into each other!

Room Tip: I know people like to 2nd floor rooms to have noone above you. But next time we go, i would request...
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!