“Almost like a cruise ship on land!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
San Francisco, California
“Almost like a cruise ship on land!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Our two families went to RHR for the first time. Great customer service, someone there to greet you when you pull into the drive. We were allowed to check in early because the rooms were ready. The two queens and bunk beds in our adjoining rooms were ideal for our families. Lots of activities to do: banana boats, water skiing, mini golf, paddle boats, kayaking, wall climbing, pools with water slides (with plenty of lifeguards) and of course horse back riding, or a horse drawn trailer or tractor pull if you don't like horses. Lots of planned activities during the day- bingo, blackjack tournaments, relay races, kickball, and other game shows that require audience participation. In the evening there is entertainment. This is why I compare RHR to a cruise ship. A different itinerary each day loaded with activities, you select your dinner times, but breakfast and lunch are served between noon and 2 pm. Breakfast and lunch are ok- buffet style, but dinner is the best. If you don't like what you ordered you can get something else and if you loved what you ordered you can get seconds. A great place for families with young children. Only draw back is the price we paid, would love to go back if it we could make it more economical. Smaller room? Different time of year? Don't miss the 4:30 horse crossing! And don't forget to ask for a horseshoe souvenir!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank YankeeFan06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff greets you as soon as you pull in! The kids loved the bunk beds and the rooms were very nice (although we didn't spend much time in them). My husband became quite the water-skier and my children (8, 10, 13) absolutely loved the banana boat! The horses were amazing, our favorites were Casino, Bear, Steamboat, and Butch. The first time attempting the ride, my son (8) was crying to get off; however, Becca comforted him and was a great wrangler that helped him throughout the entire ride. My son rode every day with us and will not stop talking about how "Becca and Rob know everything about every horse!" We were all so impressed with the wranglers and how extremely helpful they are. There are so many activities to do at RHR and it truly is a great place to go with family of all ages!!! We will be coming back every summer and hopefully bringing even more family!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Set4Lifee
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great for kids 5-12! Enjoyable for the parents.
The most generous and friendly stuff.

Free activities
-----------------------
So many great FREE activities: Horse ridding, water ski, paddles, kayaks, banana, wall climbing, Trampoline, outside water slid and pool, inside water slid and pool, wii games, archery and riffles shooting, and playground.
The activities are scattered so it doesn't feel crowded.
The illusion show was nice and short enough for the kids to enjoy it.

Tip: Pre-Registration to the horse riding and water ski is needed, otherwise you will have to stand a very long line. They allow one pre-registration for person for each day.

Horse riding - the beginners group was too big and we hardly moved - a stop every couple of minutes. The intermediates group was great (4 routes, fast walking, small group).

All activities start after 10 except for water ski (starts at 9) so if you are an early bird you might want to schedule early water ski.

Food - more than we expected!
-------------------------------------------
3 great meals are included for every nigh at the resort. The meals were reach testy and generous with lots of great vegetables and deserts.
In addition, they served all day for free: hot chocolate, cold water, popcorn, corousons, cake, coffee, tea.

Rooms
-----------------
We had very basic room (we took the cheapest). 1 double bed (extremely small) and a bank bed for the girls.
There is a TV, a safe, a mini fridge and a bathtub.
The room was clean.

Tip: our room was in front of the playground and archery. We loved the location, the girls played in the playground before and after the activities / breakfast.

More tips:
------------------------
You can come as early as you want to enjoy the activities, even before your room is ready.And leave as late as you want (after check out).

We called on Friday and they let us order for 1 night instead of the minimum of 2 nights and also offered us a discount.

2 Thank Nav71
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Unbelievable. The ranch was clean, the food was delicios and the activities were lots of fun. Finally found a vacation place where our kids didn't want to text their friends. The horses were top notch and the guides were very patient.

I believe the ranch employees could benefit from professional guest service training so they can learn how to "Wow" the guest. I believe having your employees focus on making personal connections with the guests would go a long way e.g., using guest names, smiling more, encouraging conversations etc.

1 Thank Pat W
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my family had a wonderful, and fun time during our vacation at RHR! There was something for every one. I was traveling with a 8, 14, and 73 year old and I am 41. We had so much fun. There was great food, awesome people, and memorable memories made. They have beautiful horses who are trained to perfection and helpful staff who are warm and friendly. Some of our favorite horses were, Dolly, Stagecoach, Stone Wall, TJ, Doc, Melondy and Roy. I would highly recommend anybody to go here for vacation. There was everything you would want when going on vacation, from clean rooms, to accommodating staff. :)
We have made a decision, from being sad many days after we left and crying kids that wanting to go back, especially to see Roy, Doc, and Dolly, that we will once again proudly travel 8 hours north to see and visit this place again.
Keep up the great work RHR.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I returned home yesterday after staying five days at the Ranch. Already, I feel a sense longing for the place. We took our ten year old daughter, who renamed herself Fluffy during one of the nightly stage shows, and her best friend. For five days there was not a single complaint, argument or second of boredom from either of them. Imagine five days of peace, it was a miracle.

We each rode three to four hours a day. The wranglers learned our names and our favorite horses. They were always more than happy to put me on big, dumb Doc. I am forty-three, and I find myself pining for a horse.

I had a trail ride that was on of the best hours of my life. In every activity, I felt like part of the family. You know, this place, these horses, this staff made me feel happy. We will be back next Summer. Thank you.

1 Thank Joe G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our first visit to RHR and we all had a great time! We showed up early and were pleasantly surprised to be able to join the lunch BBQ and enjoy the live country rock music! Then we were lucky to get into our room early only to drop our bags and join the fun.

My daughter and I went right away to horseback ride where we stood stand by but each of us were able to join the ride. Each time we went we had a great time! I have not been riding in years and lets just say the horses could probably tell I was nervous but during each ride the wranglers were great - first ride, Alyssa made me feel much less nervous, second ride Lucille was fantastic and imparted lots of interesting knowledge about horses (her love of horses really shows in how she talks about them and knows each horse) she certainly made me feel more comfortable! By the third day after chatting with Lucille I was comfortable enough to let my daughter ride the intermediate ride without me . Tara was one of the wranglers on that ride and she assured me she'd keep an eye on my daughter. Thank you Tara she had a blast and said you were great! My only suggestion would be that Mr. Clipboard (I forget his name) remember that he is in the service industry. I realize that he is working hard to get dozens of people on dozens horses which can't be easy and he may hear many of them say " please match me up with a nice, calm one" but as a first time guest I only said it once and a little acknowledgement goes a long way.

My son on the other hand spent all his time on the dock where he water skied for the first time and also enjoyed the banana boat rides. You only get scheduled to waterski every other day (it only lasts five minutes) but he and my daughter stood stand by and were very lucky to be able to go many other times. They both really enjoyed it and the dock staff and boat drivers were very friendly and helpful.

The food was good and plentiful - the apple pie was awesome! Be prepared to possibly be seated with other family's which was a surprise, but we enjoyed meeting new family's! The happy hour / snack time was was an unexpected bonus. Free popcorn in the lobby is very smart PR! Also, having free water stations around is very smart in the summer heat! I never felt like I was being nickel and dimmed with extra add on's which can be a big turn off! Alcoholic beverages are not included, but that is an obviously reasonable add on.

Annie and Molly are the cheerful entertainment/ game hostesses who did a great job keeping it lighthearted and fun for everyone! We were able to be a part of bingo, hula hoop contest, pool volleyball, frozen tshirt untangle, and my favorite the shooting contest.

We also got to see the horses go across the street for the night which is an impressive thing to watch - and these wranglers have it down to a well organized part of there job.

My kids are 11 and 14 and had a wonderful time, but many of the activities are geared more towards younger kids. They had nightly entertainment which again is geared more toward the younger set - our first night it was a good show and funny, second night was just ok. As other reviews said the indoor pool is small, but being there in the summer that didn't matter. Rooms are fine. Front desk was pleasant and helpful. We never felt that it was too crowded, the ranch did a good job at spreading out people with different activities.

Our experience overall was very good. Thank you!

Room Tip: We were in the main building on the second floor with two queen beds and bunk beds which I would cer...