“Awesome Family Vacation!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
CT
“Awesome Family Vacation!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Awesome Family Vacation!! We just stayed at RHR with our two children. It's fun for all ages! If you are looking for a fun family vacation with lots of activities this is the place to go or you can just relax by the pool. Horse back riding was so fun and organized, they have water skiing, rock wall, bungee jump area, tennis, mini golf, banana boat are just some of the activities. There are two pools, outdoor and indoor. The slides are fun on both pool. Our favorite slide was the indoor so fun, my husband and I went on as well. We were on the 1st floor near the main lobby and it was a perfect spot with a view of the outdoor pool. Rooms are clean, staff is excellent and the activities they offer during the day are great and they also have fun shows at night as well. Each day they have a list of fun activities going on with the time and you can plan your day, they have a copy at your breakfast table or you can get one at the front desk. The food is very good and all you can eats. They offer a variety of different choices. Breakfast & Lunch is buffet, they also have BBQ outdoor lunch with music on certain days and dinner is sit down menu. And they will offer to make something if you need something other than what you see at breakfast/lunch buffet or dinner menu. The staff for all the activities were friendly! If you are planning a trip and love family fun....you'll have a wonderful trip at RHR! Hope this review helps for those that are thinking about planning a trip. It was our 1st time there and we would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor in main building and close to lobby.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Richmond, Rhode Island
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first trip to the ranch we have a 8 and 10 year old.It was a great vacation one of the best.. We already booked for next summer to stay longer.. From what my understanding the ranch was sold out when we were there but it was no over crowded which was great. I thought for sure it would be packed wall to wall people but it wasnt my kids had the time of there life. There are a few things that would make this place even better maybe a pizza pasta type of resturant bar where you could get food without going to the dinning room at the time you are given. The food was good too.. some dinner options for the kids my daughter would not eat fuzzy eater they made her a grilled cheese to order no issues about getting something special . Everyone there was super nice clean grounds. We stayed in the main lodge which was close to the in door waterpark a def plus.. One other thing would be great if they had something that could dry your bathing suit that would be awesome . I saw one comment about people wearing clothes in the pool i do wear a shirt in the pool this was to prevent sunburn so to me I didnt see a big deal about people wearing a shirt in the pool .. I would rather spend my money here then at disney

Room Tip: Maybe if you could stay in the main lodge it is close to the in door pool and outdoor pool/ resturan...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tricia364
South Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited the The Rocking Horse in July for a family reunion. We had 4 families with kids and adults ranging from 6 to 75. Everyone on our trip had plenty of option for things to do. The horses were amazing. I do not ride horses and was not really looking forward riding, but it ended up being my favorite part. It was so well run and organized. We never had trouble riding. The horses are healthy and you can tell how passionate they are about their animals. The trails go over hundreds of acres with hills, creeks and great scenery. Those who were avid riders really seemed to be having a great time as well.

The rooms were nicely appointed. We had 5 in a room with 2 queens and bunk beds. It worked out well. The food was excellent. Breakfast was great with a ton of fresh fruit. Lunch was good and the cook out days were great. Dinner was above expectations and done very well. For serving so many people, they really do a great job.

The pools, slides, putt putt, trampolines, shooting range, etc were all great as well. I loved that everything was available and included. You did not get nickel and dimed the whole trip.

The water skiing was great for those who maybe have never skied before or were just learning. My family are avid skiers and wakeboarders so that end was a bit of a let down, but still good. It was included and we got to go everyday. The lake/pond is just so small it just doesn't make for good skiing. They do have nice boats, all of the equipment and great staff.

All in all I would definitely recommend The Rocking Horse Ranch. We met some great people and the whole family had a great time. Special shout out to Annie from Kentucky. She is an incredible staff member who makes sure people get involved and have a great time.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms in the main lodge are great. They are quiet and it is easier to get adjoinin...
2 Thank KSP-HHI
New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our 3rd trip in the last 3 summers. Me, my wife, and my 2 boys, 14 and 8, have enjoyed our stay as usual. I have noticed little changes here and there to improve the quality and cleanliness of the facility.
This year we have booked our trip little late, so to stay 5 nights we had to move twice between different rooms. Kyle the manager was very friendly and helpful. the only problem was that some people at front desk don't follow instructions and that is why I am giving only 4 stars for this stay.
When we were moving for the last time our luggage was left in the storage even after I had reminded them at the front desk twice. Also there should be some kind of rules implemented to use swimming suits while in the pool. Me and my wife were shocked when we saw people using the outdoor pool in their daily clothes, then, my wife literally saw one of them drying their underwear in the bathroom hand dryer. We were glad that this was our last day, because of that.

3 Thank WaldekVAL
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time not having been there for 30 years. There are so many simultaneous activities that it never seems crowded. Our ages ranged from 5 to 73 and we all had fun. All staff friendly and knowledgeable especially asst food director Kathy. The food was so plentiful with healthy and regular choices for all tastes. We signed up again for next year. Worth the money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This all inclusive resort, will not disappoint. We have 3 boys, who will even complain of boredom at Disneyworld...well, not here! They are busy all day long and into the evening. They make use of the kids club, and all of the activities. The staff for the kids especially, were terrific. The food is very good, we didn't want to leave. The evening shows are entertaining, and everyone is always in a good mood when it comes to the staff.

Room Tip: We originally signed up for the 'older building' it was way too small for the 5 of us..could...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Succasunna, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have been to RHR about 9 times in the last 3 years and it never disappoints! This time we brought a new family with us (kids 16,13,10) and they absolutely loved it. The cleanliness, the attentiveness, the activities, and the food are just fantastic! We have never come across one employee that was not friendly or helpful. The grounds are just beautiful and so welcoming. Maria, one of the photographers, is one of the friendliest people so make sure you stop by the gift shop and check out the photos she has taken of you!! The daycare/day camp is wonderful and Claudia works so hard to keep it running smoothly. We never worried about our daughter while she was there and she couldn't wait to go back!! She especially can't wait to "hang" with Stephanie and has met some wonderful new counselors such as Meghan and Taylor. My husband and I hung by the pool while the kids were out and about! The wranglers are so knowledgeable and caring about the horses. They always make sure that you have a great and safe ride. Guests need to keep in mind that these are live animals and that it is a huge responsibility these wranglers have. Tim, once again, got my daughter to try something I never thought she would, water skiing. She did not get up but was proud that she even tried. The kids and adults alike loved the banana boat ride!!! The kids caught several fish which is always a thrill for them. DJ Mike and DJ Dre were great at kareoke and the dance parties! Kyle always has an open ear and is open to suggestions (washers and dryers would be awesome). Molly Mishap and Annie Oakley make activities so fun, especially our favorite BINGO! The only thing we missed dearly was the character Squirrel which was so disappointing because he was so fun!! I already rebooked for next summer and will probably go back before then. Thanks again for another awesome stay!!!!

Room Tip: The Oklahoma AA room is small.
1 Thank chris a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Mohonk Mountain House
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!