“Dong Fong isn't good”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Dong Fong Restaurant
Reviewed 5 September 2013

If you go to Highland Falls or West Point to eat Chinese food, then you need to reevaluate your life. If you are so unfortunate to find yourself at Dong Fong, then my condolences are in order. This is a buffet-oriented hole in the wall that caters to the gobs of Chinese tourists who visit West Point...different story... The ownership of Dong Fong truly doesn't know the potential of catering to those who live nearby. The service is impersonal and distant. Once you order your drink, you will get an off-handed, "go get your food." Not exactly catering to the customer, but I find myself trying to sympathize with a restaurant owner who lives an unhappy life therefore I reason that I am happy to be there to help them. Scary, right? The food nearly always looks more like leftovers-which I'm afraid it probably is- unless you time it so you can compete with the tourbusses. Admittedly, there are always a couple of dishes that are actually pretty good. It's also hard to mess up rice that's still in the rice cooker. Don't expect refills unless you make a big deal out of it. There it is. Disappointing Chinese food nearly at its worst. They have the luck of the Chinese that so many tours come through the area. If they had to survive on their ability to compete, they wouldn't. Not even close. Avoid unless you just want to see if I'm right. Don't say you weren't warned.

4  Thank Jim B