“CASH ONLY! Good Food! Good Service!”
Review of South Gate Tavern

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
South Gate Tavern
Greenwood, Indiana
254 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“CASH ONLY! Good Food! Good Service!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent the day exploring the US Military Academy at West Point and headed out the Theyer Gate onto Main Street of Highland Falls. We drove "the strip" looking for a likely place to get a beer and a sandwich and ended up at South Gate Tavern. We each had a Yuengling (on tap - I'm already liking this place!) and some fried Mozzarella sticks.
After realxing and enjoying the slightly overdone cheese sticks, we ordered - me a Stromboli with ham, pepperoni and one other meat that escapes me. My wife went for the meatball sandwich "naked" i.e. no bun.
Both were excellent. The Stromboli was delicious and the accompanying marinara sauce was very nice. My wife's meatballs were a little on the bland side, but she was happy with them. All washed down with a second Yuengling. Total tab with tip was $35.
The decor is interesting with all the walls covered in memorabilia from movies and places all over the world. many of which have a connection to US Military Academy or the Army. But it is a tavern.
Oh CASH ONLY - NO CREDIT CARDS!
I would definitely stop here again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank BoilerMakerBob

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“I just love this place.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This small tavern has character that dates from the mid 30s. A great place to grab a barstool and just mellow. Perfect close quarters low light Irish ambiance.