“Beware of owners' quirky behavior”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highmount
Alpine Osteria B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Highmount B&B and Inns
NYS
“Beware of owners' quirky behavior”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I called, reserved a room for same day. Even though it was mid-week and was 2 hrs away, I was asked for a deposit to hold the room. OK.
Shortly after reserving, I was called by the owner, and asked if I could arrive 2 hrs later than planned. I accommodated his request.

Upon arrival, I asked to see the room, and was denied. I had to pay $375 up front. Obviously, not customary, and unhappy with this arrangement, I left.

The owner followed me out to my car in the parking lot, and threatened to charge me a cancellation fee, which he did. I found out later that he called other innkeepers in the area, after I left. Bizarro behavior.

Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank Mirquat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I rated cleanliness a 4 because there was a gross scummy residue on the surface of the bathwater after I turned on the jets in the Tuscan Red room. It was a nice, super deep tub though and the jets were strong, good after a hard days skiing. Scott is so friendly, and gives great recommendations for dinner. He also gives great discounts for military and public servants. Breakfast was simple but delicious, and do not underestimate theconvenience of the location of this hotel. It's right at the base of Bellayre Mountain, no hotel is closer. And it's one of the only places where you can get cell service. I would definitely stay here again, and I recommend it for a convenient and comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank Thecougar6
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Couldn't have asked for a better host during our stay.Scott was so welcoming and hospitable.The room was immaculately clean and the 2 shower head shower was so relaxing and refreshing after a hard days skiing.The location of the ski lodge could not be better as it is situated right at the bottom of the mountain.There is nothing that Scott would not do for us.What a great stay we had and we will hopefully be back some time in the near future.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mfall
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed in this B&B one night, we were 4 friends and shared the Chianti Room. It's true that with the pictures you could think that the rooms were actually bigger. But it was totally fine with us, we could fit the 4 of us in this bedroom. It was very clean and we had a good night of sleep. The owner is really helpful in everything, he asked us at what time we wanted the breakfast , gave us advice for restaurants... Might be slightly too commercial. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and fresh fruits, nothing fancy but exactly what we needed before going hiking.
There is a fireplace and you can play pacman !

the two disavantadge that we found were that the mattresses of our bed were a little uneven / bended and our bedroom was not very well isolated and the neighbors started making noise a little before 8 AM (door opening closing all the time).

Price was 185$ for 4.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Demeter10000
Bronx New york
Reviewed 30 January 2010

This was our third trip with a 3 night stay on all of them
as I sit here and read the reviews posted on previous
stays I find it hard to believe that the negative
feedback is at all in anyway true! The experiece
of our stay was impecable ! The rooms were ultra
clean , the breakfast is without a doubt the best
in the catskills for a bed and breakfast. The inn
keeper Scott is a caring person who focuses on
perfection and socializes with his guest to make
them feel at home.he also has the knack of making
children laugh with his expertice in retro video games that
is impossible to beat! Overall this establishment
is well worth the money , as the old saying goes
"you get what you pay for" if you wanna spend
$80 a night at a bb u will get a powdered donut
in the morning along with an uncomfy bed and
smelly room , or you spend the $175 a night for
a family where they all our well counted for
and tended to with care!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank BennyBronxNewyork
Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Imagine awakening -- at your leisure -- to the pitter patter of raindrops; a bedroom view of deer grazing on a hill; an itinerary of "nothing planned;" and the inviting smell of "breakfast is ready" ... only to realize that it's not just your imagination! ... Welcome to Alpine Osteria where Scott is downstairs carefully "creating" the breakfast you selected to be served at the time you requested. Don't get too carried away by the perfect presentation of the meal ... once you start eating, you'll be sure to forget how much it appealed to the eye and remain focused on the excitement and satisfaction it brings to your taste and stomach. Take a moment to share your "nothing planned" agenda with Scott and allow him to recommend a list of unplanned activities for your selection. Our personal favorite was driving to and through Hyde Park with a quick stop at the lovely campus of the Culinary Institute of America (Scott's Alma Mater) and the amazing Vanderbilt mansion -- all for the cost of gas, dinner, and souvenirs in the form of historical conversations that will last a lifetime. ... I can't believe you're still reading this in wonder! Call Scott today! ... by the way, to reiterate what everyone else says about Alpine Osteria, our room was very clean and the food was great. Scott even accommodated my special dietary need -- "no eggs." Now that's service ... how many Bed and Breakfasts are out there that provide an "eggless" breakfast!?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melloney
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We've just returned from a one night stay to attend the music festival at Belleayre. Alpine Osteria is a two-minute drive to the festival site. We stayed in the "Dolcetto" room which was spacious and impeccable. Scott's breakfast was excellent as well, and we could choose any time to eat. We also appreciated the great restaurant recommendation. Thanks Scott. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank len126
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highmount
Cold Spring Lodge
#1 of 2 in Big Indian
Spillian: A Place to Revel
Spillian: A Place to Revel
#1 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to Alpine Osteria B&B Inn? Share your experiences!