“A lodge to remember....”
Review of Silvanus Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hillsdale
Silvanus Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hillsdale
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Based on favorable reviews here, we stayed two nights here and enjoyed it tremendously.

We were greeted by the very friendly owner Theo who explained to us all the possible things to do with some recommendations for us specifically. His recommendations were dead on! There are 2 brochures and 2 maps that have all the info about the area.
Because there is no cellphone coverage in the area, the Silvanus lodge offers free phone calls in the rooms for the whole USA (nice touch!).
The price is just right for a motel with nice, clean swimming pool and amenities in the room. One can see the attention to details like the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, etc. The AC was a small window unit working on a timer that got the room was at agreeable temperature.
Only coffee is served in the morning. For Europeans the coffee is a good tasting Americano.

Room Tip: The place has 4 rooms with 1 queen size, 4 rooms with double queen size and one separate suite #9 wi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

What a lovely surprise to hear from you, and with this really great review. I remember you well as you were on your way to Buffalo. I had recommended that you stop to see the Frank Lloyd Wright - Martin home. I hope you were able to see it. It is one of my favorites... that with the falls. And thank you for the great review. It is a great spot for a summer adventure. Would love to have you here again!

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I love this homely, understated lodge so much I almost don't want to tell anyone else about it. I've been coming up here from Brooklyn every other weekend for most of the summer. It's peaceful, the pool is beautiful, the proprietor is very down-to-earth, and the rooms are refreshingly affordable. Just keep it to yourself, ok ;)

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Okay, I'll freely admit I muscled this review out of this particular guest. He's a marketing expert, and he is great. I want lots more guests like himself and his friends. So... I figure his commments might bring in a few more just like him. THANK YOU, while I twisted your arm, the words were all yours. You are terrific.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

If your in the area of Northwest Connecticut very close to the NY and MA line don't ignore considering a stay here. The owner, Steele, is charming. The rooms are operating room clean, and the decor is unique. My wife and I have spent weekends there when we attend the races at Lime Rock Park. A variety of restaurants to suit different palates are abundant. Check this gem out. Trust me.By the way on my ratings I indicated and excellent restaurant and fitness center. Silvanus has neither. They don't need them.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and overlook and expansive lawn and pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Well, this was a pleasant surprise. These guests have been here a few times. Once again I think our excellent remarks reflect more on the guest than the property. If I could rate the guests, they would be in the five-star category. First rate people that are a pleasure... always nice to have them return. Limerock seems to generate some of the best guests. Thanks again for thinking of the motel. Guests like yourselves make me want to work harder!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We decided to visit the Hudson Valley for the Labor Day weekend at the very last minute, and luckily Silvanus Lodge had a room to accommodate 3 of us (2 adults and 1 child) on Sat and Sun nights. The owner Steele was very helpful in giving us tips. (He does everything at the lodge btw!) The pool was awesome. The cat was cute. Our bill came out to be less than $300 for 2 nights on a summer holiday weekend, which was unbelievable. You can feel the owner's love in every detail at this lodge. Conveniently located on Rt 22 (our favorite country road), the lodge was perfect for us to go check out many towns and sights in the area. They even have a BBQ grill for guests to use. Next time we come back, we need to take advantage of that for sure.

Room Tip: Heard that Room 9 has kitchenette. It's also disconnected from the rest of the lodge, so you mig...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank day_dreamer_bk
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you... perfect children always welcome. Also adventurers. These are the kind of guests that would be happy almost anywhere, and we are glad you choose to be happy here! Please, please come again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Beautiful grounds. Small but great room. Terrific & quiet AC which we eventually turned off & opened the window. Excellent TV directory. Friendly & very helpfiull owner/manager named Steele. Bed comfortable. Clean & lovely pool with fresh towels. Room very clean &and fully equipped bathroom (shampoo, moisterizer, etc,) even had an air freshener can . Coffee in the lobby in the morning. "Cute" notes &an reminders in various places throughout the room. Very good bang for the buck. Steele is a most friendly & unique individual who appreciates his guests...he's definitely not a "Norman Bates" or like the Jack Nicholson character in "The Shining." We re-registered our kid for a nearby sleepaway camp for 2013 & plan to return to the Silvanus Lodge again, & again.

Room Tip: Our room was closest to the lobby & front desk (#1). Never heard a sound and the place was full.
2  Thank Lestheprez
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

Love the review... I can be Norman with the right guest. :) By the end of the summer, we are worn out! If a guest says nice things, this says a lot more about the kindness of the guest than the owner. This can be a very demanding business, but I can't complain about the people that stay here. They are truly wonderful. SO, if you want to visit a place with lots of nice guests... THIS is the place.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We were picking up our son from summer camp in Great Barrington and needed a place to stay for one night. We were on a mission to NOT pay $500 for a weekend in a Comfort Suites in the Berkshires!! So, we found reviews of this little place, and a really cool website for Silvanus Lodge, about a 15 minute drive outside of Great Barrington in Hillsdale, NY. It looked quirky and kinda cool, and the price was NOT ridiculous, so we decided to give it a try. WOW!!! It was absolutely perfect for our needs: clean, quiet, a great owner/manager, well-maintained. No hype and no pretense. There's even shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, cotton balls and Q-Tips in the bathroom. I loved my little patio that looked over the sloping lawn to the pool, especially in the morning with dew on the ground. Steele works very hard to keep his little motel "real," and that is very refreshing!!! Next year, when we pick up our son from camp, my first call will be to Silvanus Lodge! Thanks Steele!!!!

Room Tip: Room 1 can pick up the wifi signal from the lobby, which was very convenient. We didn't need to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

LOVE all the great people that say such nice things! I'm glad you will be returning; this is our favorite guest. Steele

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I love the Berkshires and the Hudson Valley, and the Silvanus offers a beautiful, cozy little lodge reminiscent of the fifties and sixties! Set back from route 22 in the quiet village of Hillsdale, the lobby and rooms rest on a gorgeous expanse of land with a pristine pool open for round-the-clock swimming. The rooms are immaculate and decorated in a funky fifties style. You will never find character and charm like this in a chain motel. Steele, the innkeeper, offers a good cup of coffee and stimulating discussion in the lobby, classical music in the background. If you are a bibliophile, I recommend these places: the Book Barn (about seven minutes from the lodge); the Bookloft (in Great Barrington); The Spotty Dog and Hudson City Books (both in Hudson). If you like biking and running, the Harlem Valley Rail Trail in Copake Falls is awesome! Good work, Steele! We'll be back. I want to see the foliage and the Norman Rockwell Christmas festival.

1  Thank Lisa S
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

It is interesting that he kindest, most interesting, positive people always have the kindest, most interesting and positive things to say! I agree however.. all recommendations are great. My favorite being the Book Barn in Hillsdale. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsdale
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#5 of 10 in Great Barrington
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrin...
#7 of 10 in Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Holiday House Motel
Holiday House Motel
#2 of 2 in Hillsdale

Been to Silvanus Lodge? Share your experiences!