“Clean Room Reasonably Priced”
Review of Silvanus Lodge

and 1 more site!
Silvanus Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hillsdale
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is an older style hotel with comfortable beds and clean rooms. It also is very quiet (even with all rooms full) and has a nice pool. Best by far is the owner Steele who is very knowledgeable about the area and has excellent suggestions anything from where to get breakfast to local events. He really goes out of his way by drawing maps and giving great recommendations. We have stayed before and will stay again because of the reasonable rates. This motel is also better with minimum stay requirements than other motels in the area. Fancy it's not but you do feel relaxed and a bit at home.

Room Tip: Very easy to book on line, quick conformation.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marita M
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you! First, we DO have thin walls... it is quiet most of the time as we seem to attract peaceful guests!!! We've also tried to do a little sound-proofing, although you can still hear the hum of a TV if it is too loud. I'm glad you'll be coming back!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I spent a fun weekend at the Silvanus Lodge. It's a sweet little motel set back from the road with lovely grounds and a great pool. We stayed in room #8 at the end of the building. Each room has a patio area that overlooks the pool and grounds. The rooms are small but nicely updated in fun colors and patterns. The bed was very comfortable. I'm also a stickler for how a room smells. This was fresh...no musty odors. The bath was fully updated and everything was clean, clean, clean. Our host, Steele, was very friendly and informative. I'm so glad we chose his motel instead of one of the others that were closer to Lenox and Stockbridge, where we were visiting. Actually, Silvanus Lodge is a short drive to both locations, so if you're looking for a peaceful respite after a day of museums and shopping, this is the place. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the narrow driveway. It might be a bit of a challenge to someone not very skilled at navigating in a tight space. That aside, we will definitely be back to Silvanus Lodge on our next getaway weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maxdraft

You are amazing! I remember you!! Thanks for mentioning the driveway. I know you didn't mind as you are pretty easy going and wonderful people. But truthfully, the drive was made back before "size" was considered. I know you know that... thank you, and PLEASE come again!!!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

First if all, I want to thank everyone else who posted reviews about Silvanus Lodge. I did a lot of research before choosing where to stay in the Hudson Vally and your reviews really helped. I am so glad I stayed here, and this is why. First of all, the property is even more beautiful than the pictures convey. Everything is so green and expansive, and the decor is so cool! I felt like I was on a set of Mad Men. The host, Steele, has decorated everything so tastefully in mid-century modern. It made the property seem much more homey, like a B and B without the awkward breakfast table experience. (Yes, I'm an introvert).

But Steele really goes above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. In my case, I had an issue with a passport and he was more than ready to help. No only did he make himself available to receive my mail but he also told me he would be happy to go to the post office in case he missed mail delivery. He has a note in the room to contact him 24 hours a day with any problems and he means it! He also puts the equivalent of a care package in your room, or his version of a mini-bar. He leaves snacks and bottled water in your room for purchase, but he provides them at cost. A snicker bar was 75 cents. Well, at that price, I had to eat one even though it's not on my list of foods I should be eating! Oh, and the beds are very comfortable, too!

I am so glad I stayed at the Silvanus Lodge. If I find myself back in the Hudson Vally this would be my first choice!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

THIS is my normal experience, guests that are far nicer than me! I wish I was as good as you say - you just made it easy. Thank you for the kind words - the area is beautiful and I'm sure that helps. Most people are so happy being in the country that they "think" I'm nicer than I am! :)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Both Silvanus AND the owner, Steele, are charming and loaded with character! The rooms are a great value -- worth much more than what we paid. Steele is very knowledgeable about the area and happy to offer maps and other information about the myriad things to do and see. The rooms are unique and very clean. The setting is lovely and peaceful. I would never stay anywhere but Silvanus when I am in that area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 77Lynn2014
NSteele, Manager at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

That's it... I think Trip Advisor should create a way to "rate" guests. Some are just better than others. THIS one is a FIVE-STAR! Thanks, and you are always welcome here!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I were looking for a home in Columbia County. We stayed at Silvanus Lodge twice during our search - the first time due to location and the second time due to the owner, Steele. Both trips were during the winter months. Nothing beat coming back to our warm, cozy room at the end of a long day of house hunting. A good shower, lots of towels, a comfy bed, snacks and Steele as an endless source of information. He was helpful, interested and thoughtful.
The lodge is near restaurants, skiing and shops and Steele knows about all of them. Plus he's a lot of fun. Turns out he's a CPA too, and a Real Estate broker - imagine what he could do for you in one visit!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elisabetsy
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you! I wonder if you made an offer on that house??? Would be sad to loose a great guest, but would love to have you in the area. Hope all went well! Steele

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Silvanus lodge captures a simpler time in history. This Lodge has a strong avante garde feeling. Easy to find and located close to dining that offers natural food you will love the quaintness and personal touch that this lodge owner offers. Steele, the owner/operator went above and beyond in terms of acquainting us to the area. Come enjoy the quiet and good conversation when you find yourself in the area!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Layneyahnke
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thanks for the kind words! You need to visit again... soon. Steele

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Silvanus Lodge was recommended to me by my mother, who has stayed there a number of times. I am not a fan of bed & breakfasts (too personal) nor big impersonal hotel chains. This is a lovely motel with character. I read a number of reviews, so I expected the small room. The hand painted headboards are beautiful. The beds are not luxurious, but are very comfortable. There was plenty of hot water. The room was nice and warm on some very chilly nights. Steele is a gracious host and very knowledgeable about the area. I am looking forward to a return visit and will definitely recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jean O
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for the perfect review. The positive response with a healthy respect for the facts is JUST what brings in other happy guests. We love happy guests! Steele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsdale
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#4 of 10 in Great Barrington
Holiday House Motel
Holiday House Motel
#2 of 2 in Hillsdale

Been to Silvanus Lodge? Share your experiences!