“Big disappointment”

O's Hillsdale Country Dinet
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Hillsdale
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Have eaten at O's in Hillsdale a few times and other than being able to make a decent egg for breakfast cannot recommend eating there. Had a simple hot dog for lunch a couple of months ago and it was over cooked and served on a hard roll! Last week I went in for the fresh fish special but was so turned off by the overwhelming fishy smell in the restaurant that I was turned off. When I saw the fresh fried cod it appeared to be a dark breaded greasy triangle. Not a light battered fried fish which I expected. In lieu I opted for the pasta special - a meat sauce. It was awful. The meat was tough and in clumps and the sauce tasted greasy. The bread [which I had to request] was stale. The décor is nice and the service is fine but if the food is bad what's the point? I have eaten there a number of times [4-5] before this for lunch and it has been hit or miss.

1  Thank Dolores P

Reviewed 13 July 2014

While traveling we stopped in, my wife had sliced beef, baked potato, salad. I had steak over penne pasta with sundried tomato's both were great. my steak was a little fatty, the owner tried to give me the meal for free, I insisted on paying because everything else was excellent. Any place can get a bad steak, the owners attitude was superb and the wait staff great.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Breakfast on Father's Day was very busy and perhaps stressed the help; however, service was unfriendly, the potatoes a strange green color and the bacon undercooked. The atmosphere is pleasant, but the waitresses are not. Something is not quite right. maybe it will get better.

1  Thank critic735
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This locale has been a diner before, but honestly the old place was pretty poor. Now, the diner has been expanded, completely remodeled, and has been transformed into a quaint, enjoyable experience. There are some really sweet touches, including the local ski areas information, along with mention of other local areas of interest. There is also this great mural on the back wall, made by a local artist, and representing interesting aspects of this beautiful rural area. The food is very good, and especially enjoyable on Mexican and Italian night, which is held on the same night each week. I've been there many times since it opened in the past year, and there's been quite a bit of turnover in wait-staff. But otherwise, it is a really nice place for a simple, enjoyable dinner!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is what a diner should be. Bright, clean looking, good barking, very good food.
The service is first rate,too.
Four of us had lunch there. One had a burger with fries,I had a BLT, another friend had a bowl of acorn squash apple soup. The fourth had a turkey rueben. We were all very pleased with both the food and the service. I would givecitfive stars except that this is not gourmet food.