“Wedding night” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Holtsville
Patchogue, New York, United States
“Wedding night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here on 10/13/13 and had a block of room for our wedding. When we got to the hotel, it was a mad house -- they had booked 8 weddings at the same hotel on ONE night. Someone had checked in for myself and my husband earlier in the day, so we had our room all set, but there was one bride that couldn't get into a honeymoon suite that she had booked because they OVERBOOKED those suites.

The other HUGE issue was that the restaurant, Bread and Butter, was closed. They LOST their liquor license. When we had blocked the rooms we were told Bread and Butter was 24 hours and the bar would be open. We were planning to have our after party there. The hotel tried to be accommodating by opening a small bar area in a conference room, but it was PACKED. Again, 8 weddings in one night. As the bride, I was never notified that the restaurant had lost their liquor license. Had I been, I would have notified my guests and we would have made other arrangements for the after party. We wound up walking to the gas station on the corner, getting beer, and setting up our own after party in another conference room -- which we got yelled at for doing. We wound up fighting them on it, and made our own "after party" but it definitely was not what we had expected.

The room itself was beautiful. A lot of space, and a big, comfortable bed. The shower is a little weird because when you sit on the toilet you can see right through the glass into the shower (and vice versa! lol).

Although it isn't the hotels fault that the restaurant lost their liquor license, it should have been the HOTEL's sales person's job to inform those staying at the hotel of this issue. I wasn't the only angry bride that evening -- the poor front desk got ripped a new one, to say the least.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Rehoboth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed here many tmes and the staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Matt at the Front Desk! I have a bit of a handicap and they all will go the extra mile to help! If you need extra towels late at night, someone will bring them, or anything else.... they are very accomodating! Also, Paul who I think is one of the managers, is very helpful!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
chartmannGM, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Holtsville Long Island, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Lori M,

It is always a delight hearing from you! Thank you for taking the time to write this heartfelt review and acknowledging the staff, especially Matt and Paul. Both are an asset to our team, and will go above and beyond for our guests. We hope to see you soon!

Until then,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Cons:
All rooms were filthy (was in a wedding block and witnessed 6 rooms firsthand)
Stained carpets
Banged up/stained furniture
Holes in the walls from old art/furnishings?
No toilet seat cover - expect your towels to fall into the toilet
Moldy shower due to tile floor missing grout (shoddy renovation attempt)
Day laborers use the parking lot spaces
Staff smokes copious amounts of marijuana behind the 'authorized personnel only' door which (they leave open) in the vending/ice room right by the elevator on the 3rd floor. Smell permeates throughout entire hallway.
Apparently room service offers shellfish, which also fills the hallway when a room nearby orders it. (look out if you suffer serious allergies)
Broken appliances
Thin walls

Pros:
The wi-fi was fantastic.

Matt (or Mike?) a fantastic hotel manager, but unfortunately is not the general manager of this facility. He addressed issues immediately (what was within his control at least). The desk clerk didn't even ask how the stay was upon checkout. They know it is what it is. There is a Hampton Inn right on the other side of 495. It is undoubtedly worth the cost if you need a room for more than one night. But for one night, I'd deal with the above for a cheap stay.

Room Tip: Don't unpack immediately - check out the bathroom. I saw 6 different bathrooms in 6 different ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JimmyHu465
chartmannGM, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Holtsville Long Island, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
JimmyHu465,

I am absolutely appalled by all the things you have commented on regarding our hotel and staff. I was unaware that anyone, staff or guest, was smoking upstairs. It seems that we did miss the opportunity to accommodate you comfortably, but I am glad that our front desk agent Matt helped during your stay. I have contacted housekeeping and engineering regarding all of your comments, and letting them know so that they can properly rectify these issues. I am truly sorry for all that has occurred. As you have seen in Matt, we strive to give our guests the best experience possible. Please consider giving us another chance, we would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

Best Wishes,
Assistant Front Office Manager

Travellers are raving about these Holtsville hotels

Cape May Court House, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

For someone who is on the road up to 60 days a year (mostly business), I typically don’t stay in too many Ramada’s, especially since my points and status are with Hilton. However the Ramada Plaza Long Island was the host hotel for a wedding I recently attended so I joined the crowd and stayed over for the night (Friday night) with my wife. Eastern Long Island is a great place to attend a wedding, especially during the Fall wine season.

Overall, the property is fairly decent and you basically get what you pay for. The final bill came in at just under $140 (for one night) and for a weekend night on Long Island, smack dab in the middle of wine sipping season, it was a steal. Most hotels on the east end during the fall run $200-$300 a night plus.

The property seems fairly old but is generally clean. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is located literally within walking distance from the LIE and there are a bunch of shopping and dining opportunities (mostly chain stuff) within a few minutes’ drive.

There was a general lack of detail with the maintenance side throughout the property. Nothing huge, but lots of scuff marks, some peeling/chipped paint and general wear and tear throughout. Again nothing huge but certainly not something I would typically see in a Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott. It seems like they are trying to keep the property modern and fresh, just not getting to all of the details.

Our room was decent; fairly modern and appeared to have been re-furbished recently. We had a beautiful view from the third floor overlooking the parking lot below and gas station and highway across the way. It was breathtaking (we obviously weren’t staying there for the view…). Consistent with the rest of the property, there was also a lack of detail with some maintenance with our room. Again nothing huge, just a few too many scuff marks and chipped paint than I am used to.

There used to be this really cool sports bar attached to the hotel, and I was looking forward to hanging out there after the wedding. However recently it was converted into a “café” of sorts and was still under construction during our stay. That was a disappointment.

All in all we had an acceptable stay, especially for the price we paid. I would stay again, but only if it were the host hotel for some sort of event. Otherwise I would be willing to pay more for more of an upgraded business class property. I would say we got what we paid for; that is a decent property that could use some improvement (especially with the maintenance end), but likely will satisfy most guests needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GeorgeRohman,

It is so good to hear you are a Hilton reward member, as we also have a member loyalty program which is free to be a part of with great benefits. Long Island is such a beautiful place to celebrate a wedding, which is why every summer the island is crazy in wedding season! Your review is extremely appreciated and helpful. Thank you for commenting on our price, for we strongly believe that a fair price is also a part of great customer service. However, I am sorry that you did not have the warmest of experiences. We are remodeling recently, and I hope that when all is done you can come back and experience a better stay than the last! I have spoken with engineering regarding your concerns and we are in process of improving them all. Our restaurant has been under some changes for the best as well, and I am sorry that those changes affected your personal stay. When it is all done, I am confident that it will be better than ever! Please come back for a visit, we would love the chance to show you what we are capable of.

Best Wishes,
Assistant Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holtsville
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven
Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Ramada Plaza Holtsville Long Island? Share your experiences!