“basic, but good”

African Village Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bakau
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was just an overnight stay, as we were on our way 'up country', working with a charity.
It was the first time I had stayed at this hotel and I was pleasantly surprised.
Rooms were adequate, as was the food. It was great to watch the fishermen launching their boats - you had a feel of the real Gambia, not just the tourist face.The best part was that there were less bumsters about on the beach - but they were the usual irritation the minute you stepped outside the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed here over a period of 11 days on a bed and breakfast basis; I've previously stayed in larger hotels but I wanted to immerse myself in the 'real' Gambia as a solo female traveller, and on reflection this was the best place to do that. I stayed in a single room which contains 2 beds, en-suite bathroom, mosquito net and a fan, clean towels and sheets are provided for those that travel light. (African Village has it's own electricity generator so regular power outages do not impact on your stay).
I arrived late evening in the darkness with my luggage and was welcomed with a cheery smile and warmth, the genuinely helpful staff ensured my stay was safe and comfortable.
I really loved my stay here and if staying in Bakau will always stay at African Village...Abaraka ba ke!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Isatou2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our stay there was thoroughly enjoyed. The room was clean. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment and the relaxing atmosphere. Although the weather was very hot inland it was very comfortable there by the ocean. We have recommended this Hotel/Resort to several people. We hope to return again in 2014

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Muriel R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I like this Hotel, it is very close to the real life of The Gambia, the staff have always been very helpful. On the street nearby its cool, nice people, they don't have a lot so you will get a little pestered, go with a sun tan! It will help.
The rooms are simple too but it's The Gambia don't expect back home. I have been several times and always gravitate back to the same Hotel

Room Tip: Ask for AC or a fan
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Chrisleese
Reviewed 13 July 2013

As other contributors have said, this is a place to stay in Africa. If you want to pretend you are somewhere more affluent, then go to the bigger, plastic hotels. Here, there's a pool, shady and sunny areas to relax, a couple of bars, a private beach down the steps (and btw a really helpful batik producer who will also give classes). Get up and see the sunrise, and then go in for a great breakfast.
The food is more than fine, and certainly compares in quality, quantity and price with all but the swankiest restaurants out of the hotel complex. The staff are friendly, it's the most bug-free place I've stayed in the Gambia, close to the bank, very close to the taxis (private and bush taxis) - certainly a good place for those who want to explore the coast.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I had an amazing week at the African village hotel!
I was there to teach in The Gambia, and felt like I was living a life of luxury compared to some other people outside the hotel, that live in poverty. Therefore with this in mind the service was great, the food was great and the staff were very friendly. The hotel was clean and the pool/bar area had a lovely chilled atmosphere.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel and would recommend it to anyone. For me, I was there for the experience not to stay in a fancy hotel and moan about every little thing. I was great full for a working shower and bed :) my whole experience in The Gambia was one I will never forget and the hotel contributed to this.

Room Tip: just enjoy the experience!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Lotz150
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Had a lovely trip here in April, rooms are basic but it is important to remember to compare this hotel to other African hotels, not European ones. Staff were SO friendly and lovely which made our time at this hotel even more enjoyable. Shared a room with two other people and found we had lots of space. Being a vegetarian I encountered no problems at this hotel. Beautiful country, with beautiful people, well worth a visit!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank SophiaGD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakau
Hotel Palm Beach
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Cape Point Hotel
Cape Point Hotel
#4 of 4 in Bakau

Been to African Village Hotel? Share your experiences!