Cape Point Hotel
  • Room Service
  • Pool
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrestaurants close to the hotelair conditionsmall hotelhotel restaurantgreat holidaywifitourist
Reviewed 12 February 2012

???? standard room. paid extra for meals before leaving england. breakfast - not good. poor food. evening meal - tables not laid. sometime no side plate or serviette. 2 x no bread with soup. main meal often cold but did have flavour !! waited soooo long between servings, we left before desert. hotel was only half full. 8 waiters. 3-4 of them would be out dancing to the live music and not looking after guests. swimming pool not big enough to swim in !! did not get near enough value for money. the other two hotels were much superior. good points. - our housemaid was more than good and the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. wont be going back tho. :-(

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed in Cape Point hotel for two weeks. I booked last minute, so this hotel was the only option and my expectations weren't too high. But I was really dissapointed. Worst thing was the loud music and drums in the evening, some of it coming from the hotel's restaurant, some from nearby restaurants and it went on till 4 am at it's worst.
Front office staff didn't really have any problem solving skills when I complained after three sleepless nights and requested for another room (mine was facing the main street). Eventually my travel agency contacted the hotel and I got a new room in a more quiet part.
Breakfast was the same every single morning and not of high standard. I only had dinner twice in the restaurant and it was the worst food in the Gambia, but their staff was really polite and happy.
Wifi (300D) didn't really work well, at least not in my room.
Towels and bed linen were worn out (almost seethrough) and I had to ask front office to notify housekeeping that my bed linen hadn't been changed in the first 5 days.
Went to the beach only once (quite horrible with all the bumsters) and I was happy to be allowed to use the pool and private beach at my friends hotel.
Good thing about the Gambia is an almost guaranteed sunshine and low price level, but in my opinion it lacks (natural) attractions and the bumsters almost ruined my and my friends holiday. So no need to go back to this part of Africa.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ilona H
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed at Cape Point for a week in a double room, breakfast included. The room was spacious, with a nice balcony with place to sit for two. If you are sensitive to sound, bring earplugs as the walls are thin, but this is not a noicy place, so I didn't find this a problem. Nice clean pool. The area between hotel buildings makes an excellent out-door seating in the shade.
The breakfast is buffe, with toast, marmelade and cheese. You will even find egg, bacon, pancakes, oatmeal ande meatballs. Fresh fruits everyday!

50 meters to a wide beach with sunbeds included. Not the cleanest beach in the morning, but spacious. quite large differences in tide. Fruits and newly pressed juice are served at the beach.

We found the personell very helpful with excellent service! We hope to be back soon!

The personell is very helpful, and we found the service excellent!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank SBMN1
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My Boyfriend and I have recently returned from a 2 week holiday to the Gambia, which was fantastic.
Unfortunately the Cape point hotel wasn't and we had to be transferred to a different hotel. The rooms were so dirty we didn't even want to shower, the bed sheets looked like they had never been washed and the towels were grey and torn and looked about 50 years old.
We weren't expecting much from the hotel and new it would be basic but it was so disgustingly dirty that we moved down the road to the Ocean Bay hotel - that was awesome.
Cape Point is very run down, the breakfast and restaurant area were also a disappointment! Breakfast consisted of stale bread and luke warm pancakes, eggs and beans. The hotel was very very quiet and I wouldn’t have wanted to spend 2 weeks there as I think only 4/5 rooms were occupied.
Outside of the Hotel we had a wonderful time. Our guide Sam – bsambujang@yahoo.com – was wonderful and a great help. If he wasn’t there due to family commitments he made sure someone else was! He took us to the crocodile park and the monkey park, both of which were fantastic. He also took us to a local school where we gave out some pens to the local kids (we also got roped into a donation which we kind of got tricked into but didn’t really mind), the fishing harbour and the local fruit and veg market. Sam walked us to our restaurant every night so we wouldn’t get pestered by the locals – who are completely harmless just very persistent! Sam also took us to his family home for lunch which was an experience! Definitely get one of these guys to be your guide – they are wonderful and can’t do enough for you. Sam answered every question we had and really helped us experience the country.
We also did two excursions with The Gambia Experience – both of which were really good but a little over priced. The Lazy Day Boat cruise is just that – you do nothing except go for a swim in the river, and eat. Be warned though – you only get one free drink so; although it isn’t expensive I’d take a bottle of water. The 4 wheel drive experience is a great day! Just so you know there is only one proper toilet stop and that is at lunch – I would avoid this at all costs however – I was nearly sick because of the smell and uncleanliness and I don’t know if it was the loo or the food but we both had Banjul Belly for a couple of days afterwards.
Over all I would recommend the Gambia for anyone- be open minded though and if you can take old clothes (kids and adults) and as much school stuff as you can. They appreciate this as much as money!
This is a fantastic and happy country and if you want to go somewhere to have an experience this is definitely the right place!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenRuston
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Just returned from a week at the Cape Point, end of the season so not all facilities available. 70 plus rooms but only three occupied because the season was effectively over. Hotel doesn't look much from outside but once in it has a cosy feel to it. Staff excellent, couldn't be more attentive and helpful. Breakfast acceptable but the same every day, cereal followed by eggs and frankfurter sausages, bacon sometimes. No lunch or dinner, no bar and even the hotel souvenir shop was closed. The pool is fairly small but the beach is big, plenty of sunbeds but insufficient shade in high season.
Small number of restaurants outside and all excellent, very good food and reasonable prices.
Biggest problem, and the reason we will never go back to Gambia is the bumsters outside the hotels. Its impossible to leave the hotel without one of these tagging along and they won't take no for an answer, as soon as you get rid of one, another takes his place. We were told that in season, local police and even the army try to keep them away but there was no sign of this while we were there. They make out that they are poverty stricken and certainly, a walk into Bakau shows a typical african shanty town but a closer look sees new clothes and jewellery. The bumsters are definitely not poor.
All in all a value for money break but we felt almost like prisoners in the hotel. Recommended eateries, Smiling Coast and the Calypso bar.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple