“Cool hotel”
Review of Ngala Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fajara
Ngala Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fajara
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We felt rested and settled after only the first night, it was so comfortable and relaxing. Loved the design and atmosphere, the striking sculptures, art work and the beautiful gardens with exotic resident birds. The staff were great - special thanks to Pa for his kindness. Would recommend the trips with Habib -he is an engaging tour guide and will look after you. His brother Charlie is a qualified bird guide and will show you a variety of habitats near to the hotel -we saw almost 100 species in 6 hours. Take the trip to Makasuto forest to the beautiful Mandina Lodge for the sunset river cruise and a very special wildlife encounter. Stayed towards the end of April with perfect weather and hope to return.

Room Tip: Atlantic suite - one of the best equipped and comfortable rooms I've experienced.
1  Thank Mongoose22
NgalaLodgeGM, General Manager at Ngala Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you so much for your great review! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I just got back from Ngala Lodge 2 days ago, where we spent our 9th wedding anniversary. I would like to describe Ngala as a well kept secret in the heart of Gambia. We had a lovely anniversary dinner on Friday and got a complimentary bottle of Champagne and pretty flowers as a treat from the hotel. That was so thoughtful and wowed us
We had no issues with electricity, the jacuzzi (we stayed in Room 17, Atlantic suite) was lovely. All the right perks - changing lights, music, everything needed for a romantic break
The room was spacious and clean, well laid out. The welcome cake on arrival though small, was so tasty and the heart shaped flowers on the bed set the mood right!
I wouldnt call Ngala a Luxurious hotel though. It is more like a home away from home, with lovely gardens especially the lower deck by the beach. We realized a lot of Gambians did not even know it, nor the taxi drivers. We would describe it using the British embassy a few days away
hence i say, it is a well kept secret in the heart of Gambia.
I wanted a television in the room so i didnt have to go to the lounge to watch but Jenny explained, we couldnt have one as the whole idea was to talk with your partner. I would say that definitely worked. We are back home. To the kids and the hustle of everyday life but when I think of our stay there, I smile. it was very nice, tranquil and dinner was the best! Though breakfast left a lot to be desired
Thank you Jenny, Olie, Ramatouille and Habib fo rmaking our stay at Ngala a most precious gift for our Anniversary

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chiche77
NgalaLodgeGM, General Manager at Ngala Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Oh Chiche thank you so much for your lovely review! You are a delightful couple and it was a pleasure to help you celebrate your anniversary! We are often asked for TV's and people often look aghast but after a day or so they are converted!! I'm glad you were too. Enjoy your family!! Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We booked this holiday only 3 weeks before we arrived. It is the end of the season in Gambia but the weather was absolutely perfect. There is a pleasant breeze coming off the sea and the sunbeds on the decking at the hotel are perfect. It is not a humid heat which makes one sweat, it is a dryer heat. The waiter comes down periodically and takes drinks orders. The gardens at the hotel are very well kept, and this must encourage the many different varieties of birds. The hotel would not suit anybody who has mobility problems as it is set on a hill down to the beach, there are couple of flights of wooden steps to the decking and then another flight to the beach. The restaurant looks out over the sea and the food and staff are very good. Our room was number 3, it looked out over the swimming pool on the first floor. we liked it very much, it was very large with a 6 foot, four poster bed with net curtains around it to protect from mosquitoes. We had a large balcony, which had 2 sunbeds, and a table and chairs on it. The bathroom had 2 sinks a large tiled walk in shower (no bath) and toilet and bidet. We had a walk in wardrobe and in the same area a large mirrored dressing table with spotlight above. My small criticism would be that I would of liked a wall attached magnified mirror, as my eyesight is not very good close up, this would of made it easier to put on my make-up. There are no TV's in the room, but they have got free WiFi, so as we had our ipad with us, we managed to keep up with things. Jenny and Erica, the managers were very friendly and gave very good customer care. I had a small issue whilst I was there, and they could not have been more helpful and understanding. We only had bed and breakfast, which is what I would recommend anybody staying in Gambia to have, we ate twice in the Hotel and the food was wonderful, but there are many other lovely restaurants and we went to a different one every night. Taxis are very cheap and we had the same driver all week, he was well known to the staff and they just rang him every time we wanted to go anywhere. His name was 'K' and it was like 'driving Miss Daily', but it suited us as some of the drivers we noticed weren't so careful. He was also very quite and polite. We went on an organised bird watching trip that the hotel arranged with a local tour guide called Habib. It was very enjoyable and we had a couple of David Attenborough moments along the way. I would definitely return to The Gambia. The only issue I had is just how very poor the local people are. I realised before I went it was a third world country, but it still made me feel a bit guilty to have so much, when they have so little. To summarise then, The Ngala Lodge is a very good choice of hotel. It is very secure and safe and of a very high standard. I would stay here again and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 3 was very good
2  Thank juliaelizabethann

Thank you so much for your great review. It was good to have you to stay!! I shall see what I can do about the makeup mirror! Thanks again and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Ngala Lodge!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Ngala Lodge is a fantastic hotel and we had a great stay. It is small, with fewer than 20 rooms, and no kids are allowed, so it is quiet and relaxing. The grounds are very well kept, and there are great views out over the sea. As well as a nice swimming pool, there is a breathtaking deck out over the sea, with cabanas where you can lie down and chill away the day. There is a beach of sorts around the decking, but apart from a walk along it, you'll end up spending most of the time on the deck.

The hotel also has an excellent restaurant, and the staff are extremely helpful.

Ngala is a clear 5 star, and in some ways it's up with the very best hotels I've stayed in across the world. The rooms are all big, clean and well-fitted out. It's probably fair to say that Ngala isn't quite in a leading hotels of the world category, but really, only just. It is a wonderful place to stay, super luxury by most standards and, in fact, fairly cheap for what it is.

One thing to bear in mind is that you are staying in Gambia - the people are friendly but it is all a bit hectic once you are outside the hotel gates. Some people like that, but if you don't, bear that in mind. However if you use the hotel driver (more expensive than taxis but only by a pound or two given how cheap Gambia is) and only eat in the nicest places, including at the hotel, it will still be extremely relaxing.

Room Tip: They all seem good. Top floor has better view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
NgalaLodgeGM, General Manager at Ngala Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Wow!! Thank you for your fabulous review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did and will ensure that your comments are seen by all of the staff! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ngala Lodge!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Ngala Lodge is a very comfortable hotel with beautiful gardens situated on the coast in a quiet part of town, and I would recommend anyone to stay there that likes all the benefits of a top quality hotel. The food and service is excellent in the restaurant and the general staff very friendly .
There are plenty of places to lounge around in the garden, but the pool is on the small size, however there is a decking area on the beach with plenty of beds. The owner obviously has a sense of humour as the gardens have several 'kitsch' statues and ornaments. There's not a lot to do in the evenings apart from dining, but the African evening was good fun

Room Tip: We stayed in the Manor house which had views of the sea and direct access to the gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stephen l

Thank you Stephen, for your review. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The 25 minute Journey from the airport brought me to reality immediately I'm actually in Africa (a third World Country) - it had many poor people and places.

We arrived at the not so good entrance and right away our bags were secured and taken towards the holding area.
We were greeted by a wonderful lady (manager - Jenny) and staff brought us cool flannels and an esquisted purple refreshing juice - we we're now on holiday!

Jenny gave us quick insight on the Hotel,local area, hotel times etc... I right away felt comfortable, safe and welcomed.

We were taken to our massive room with the most beautiful colours of Africa/Gambia.
Room were stocked with cold water and hot drinks and an home made greeting cake : )

There was no access to wifi in the room and had no television.(Room 9 - Robert Steel suite).
UK electric ports for plugs.

The balcony door opened towards the Ocean, 10 seconds from the average size pool and an amazing outside and if you prefer inside restaurant and bar.
The view was spectacular, with a very well looked after large grass and plant area toward the Beach deck and Ocean (we was on the end of the Earth)

Dinner wasn't so expensive and breakfast was cooked freshly in front of you in the morning by a chef alongside a buffet breakfast.

We had a special anniversary night there with a quiet spot nearer to the Ocean with our own personal waiter...
We were greeted by the 10/10 chef (Jonathan) in the special evening and the 'À la
carte' meals were tremendous, and priced really well.

It was a safe neighbourhood next door to the British embassy and ex president if Gambia.

If you step out of the hotel and turn left you'll find a taxi rank there (Jimbo) and his yellow taxi took us to all of the local restaurants and bars during our whole duration.
The green tourist taxi's are more expensive and apparently hustle tourist.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank leonardfuture

Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly enjoyed having you to stay - and hope to be able to welcome you back! Thanks again!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at Ngala Lodge at the beginning of April for 11 nights and was travelling on my own. It was a lovely relaxing break. Jenny and her deputy were always around checking up that all was well. I have to say the staff were magnificent, they couldn't do enough for you. The other guests at the hotel were also lovely, I had a super time chatting to them. Thanks to all for such a wonderful time, I hope to return one of these days.

Sue

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank SueFry36
NgalaLodgeGM, General Manager at Ngala Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your review, Sue! It was a pleasure to have you to stay and we all enjoyed your company. I hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajara
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Kololi Beach Club
Kololi Beach Club
#2 of 9 in Kololi
Sunset Beach Hotel

Been to Ngala Lodge? Share your experiences!