Kombo Beach Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$103
US$43
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
1,152 results
All reviewskombo beachgambia experiencepremium roomcaptains tableevening buffetfruit ladiestennis courtsafrican dancersboss ladyhalf boardpoor countrytaxi driverroom boyhalf the pricesenegambia striplocal restaurantsegg station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at Kombo Beach Hotel for two nights after one month in The Gambia and Senegal. Main purpose was to slowly return to "normal" Western life.
The hotel could have been anywhere you travel to experience the sun, beach, and inane entertainment, karaoke and tasteless cocktails. The rooms, with clean bathrooms and lovely soft towels, was of average standard, though somewhat worn and with well used mattresses. The breakfast buffet was very good. Otherwise, straightforward food in restaurants. The large number of staff were generally serviceminded but serving took time.
For single women, it may be a test of patience to travel in this part of Gambia as local men are very aggressive with their offers of "connecting hearts," not just on the beach, but also directly at your room door.
TIA - this is Africa, but definitely the lightweight edition!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank happy.walkerNorway
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We have just got back from a 2 week holiday in the kombo beach .We paid for dine around but we stayed in the hotel every night as the food was good,entertainment good only one problem the beds where dirty soiled,thats the only problem I had.The beach was good .Yes the rooms are basic but your in africa .Paid to go into the lounge upstairs in the airport much better had a couple of drinks that cost £15 each .

Room Tip: Go for a premium room dont go cheap
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank beryl g
Reviewed 28 January 2013

This was our first time in The Gambia and we had a great time at Kombo Beach. The room was very basic and the shower flooded the bathroom. With no ventilation in there it smelt very damp but was manageable. From talking to other people I think we just got a bad room as didn’t hear any other major problems. It’s clean and comfortable which was just fine. If you want all the mod cons then you are in the wrong place.
We went bed and breakfast which I would recommend. The main evening restaurant ‘Kudula’ where people who are full board dine is a self service buffet which is pretty average and a bit too boring in its food selection. One night was even billed as ‘English Buffet’ which is not why we came abroad! With a handful of excellent restaurants (Captain’s Table, Boss Lady’s and Ali Baba’s) spitting distance from the hotel entrance dining out is certainly the way forward. The food was excellent with some great Gambian food at a fraction of the price in the hotel. Lots more excellent restaurants accessible on the Senegambia strip which is a short taxi journey (400 DS return) or a walk along the beach. Breakfast at the hotel is standard buffet fare with a good selection and the snack bar/restaurant is also good and reasonably priced for a hotel.
Entertainment facilities are good with a variety of activities in both the day and night. Whilst the pool is pretty small the sea is very big and is only a stone’s throw away. Although daily aqua aerobics adds a wave machine functionality to the pool! The brochure states that Kombo beach is a lively hotel but its more Saga than 18-30.
Locals and hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Bumsters were a problem initially but once you have got into the swing of being polite but firm and saying no they leave you alone. The main problem with the hotel (and sadly by the looks of things lots of the resorts) is the fellow holiday makers. Many people return here year after year and some appear to think this makes them some kind of royalty or local celebrities. Others are just rude idiots. Luckily they don’t have much imagination and don’t stray far from the complex so if you go out and about and off the beaten track you can leave them ruling their kingdom and enjoy the peace and beauty of The Gambia. Strongly recommend a trip across on the Banjul-Barra ferry and into Senegal as its quite an experience!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Macgyver107
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a pretty standard resort hotel, right on the beach on the Gambia's less busy strip of Kotu. It suited me very well because I was working in Banjul for a week and the room I had was nice and quiet, away from the swimming-pool area. The pool isn't great and it only opened at 8am - I wanted to swim before I went to work - but the breakfast was substantial and the other facilities were OK, though the bed didn't have a sprung mattress and I ended up sleeping on the sofa because it was more comfortable. The rooms were perfectly accetable and clean, and the bathroom had obviously been recently re-fitted.The staff were charming and made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank RideYorkshire
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Decided the best way to do this was in a list.
JOURNEY : Flew with Monarch. Having read some previous reviews of other airlines, I`m glad we did. Food was good and crew attentive. Just the usual torture of travelling with my knees under my chin. Banjul airport efficient with the usual scramble of porters grabbing your cases. Actually witnessed some very rude behaviour from other Brits in shooing these chaps away. Please think !!!! What does it acually cost you to let these guys take your case to the bus for you ? 50 pence in sterling ? A quid ? Means nothing to you but a hell of a lot to them. Get over yourselves.
AREA : The area around the hotel is good with a few interesting places to eat. We loved Mama Boss which is bang opposite the hotel. You can sit and watch the world go by while you eat great Gambian food. Don`t be snooty about the dogs. They are the same pack that frequent the beach and are friendly and healthy. A British charity pays for the local cats and dogs to be neutered and wormed, proof of this is a small nick and tattoo in the ear. The dogs ears that is. They love a cuddle, please do not feed them, the hotel staff see to this.
ROOMS: Not what we were expecting or hoping for. Very basic, bed uncomfortable and mattress horribly stained. I understand some rooms are being refurbished , Should think so too. We don`t watch T.V. on holiday, but if it`s important to you don`t expect a giant flat screen, they are small old-fashioned portables. We had a superior room with a good view and nice balcony, there was a huge problem ( for me anyway ) but it was no-ones fault. The first morning I found what I thought was a dying cockroach on the floor. Given that to my certain knowledge, no British charity has neutered and de-wormed them I felt justified in screaming a little. The next night, a strange `clicking ` noise as soon as we put the lights out, and sure enough, another one. The problem seems to be, you cannot fully shut the balcony door when outside, there is no handle. So this was a major, major, deal-breaker for us as we love to sit on our balcony every evening after dinner, have a few drinks and marvel at the African sky whilst reflecting on the day`s events. We just didn`t fancy it for fear of sharing our room with more of the critters. On our last night, we braved it, and the next morning, I found one in our bed. I like to think it was on the floor and crawled up the sheets when we got up. I must emphasis that our room was kept spotlessly clean, as is the rest of the hotel. I have since been told that they were not cockcroaches, but harmless black crickets . I don`t care, they look like cockcroaches, they`re horrible and I can`t forget the sight of one running around my bed. This is no reflection at all on the hotel. The Gambia is famous for it`s bird life so there must be insects, I know that. I don`t fly about so I expect them to stay out of my room.
BEACH : Gorgeous . There is beach service, you just have to lift a weary hand for someone to come and get your order. The beach sellers are a pain in the backside, all that stuff about a polite `NO ` will get rid of them is rubbish. We made the mistake of odering a juice from one of the juice men and some fruit from one of the fruit ladies. HUGE ERROR !!!!! They were relentless, we couldn`t have a chat, read or relax as they were on at us all the time. It`s amzing how many people were born in the Roots village and still have family there, and of course, they would be only too willing to take you there and have a meal with their family. I heard some real horror stories about these trips. They take you a long way from the hotel, and you`re very vunerable, be careful. Don`t let any of that put you off, it`s a great beach with plenty of life going on, just try and keep a low profile.
STAFF : Lovely. A couple of the chaps try all the old chat about how you light up the breakfast room, you`re their favourite guest, etc. Sorry ladies, if you fall for that you`re mad. A lot of Gambian men will try it on and we saw some very sad individuals who fell for it. Keep your hand on your halfpenny girls and just laugh it off. Most of the staff are cheerful and very helpful, and I can quite understand why some people treat this hotel as a home from home. You just feel so looked after. The hotel`s biggest assest.
TRIPS : We only went on one as hubby was ill for a few days, ? cause. We went on the nature reserve trip which takes you across the river Gambia on a ferry to Senegal. You then have the option to ` walk with the lions ` for an extra 20 quid. The ferry is freezing !!!! It`s still dark when you board the ferry and you don`t stay in the coach so take a thick wooly and wear trousers. You`ll need lots of small money for tipping and possibly a massive bladder if you don`t fancy the loos at the Senegal dock. They are beyound revolting. Take plenty of wet wipes and alcohol hand rub with you. This trip is very expensive, and most people in our party thought it was daylight robbery. However, the walk with the two lion cubs was the stuff of dreams so I don`t care.
POOL AREA : Smallish, but again, very good pool service. No loud, over the top animation team, they entertained poeple without being all shouty. Loved them for that. Afternoon tea is served every day, lovely smoothies available to order and a great little bar.
FOOD : What you`d expect.
ENTERTAINMENT : Ah bless.
All in all, I can see why people return year after year. It`s not really for us as the rooms totally let the hotel down, but there aren`t really any major problems .

Room Tip: Get the best room you can afford
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple