Kombo Beach Hotel
US$43
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,151 results
All reviewskombo beachgambia experiencepremium roomcaptains tableevening buffetfruit ladiestennis courtsafrican dancersboss ladyhalf boardpoor countrytaxi driverroom boyhalf the pricesenegambia striplocal restaurantsegg station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We have been to Gambia several times over the last 25 years and to The Kombo Beach last 7 years ago. Then it was of quite a high standard, that's why we chose to stay there. Unfortunately our first room, 324, was awful, broken bed, broken wardrobe, broken tv, the grouting in the tiny shower room looked as if someone had stood at the doorway and flicked it off the back of a spoon! It was everywhere! We stayed the first night then our Thomas cook rep arranged for us to change to 421 which was a lot better.Fatu our maid kept us spotlessly clean.
Pool was always nice and clean and we did not have a problem finding sunbeds but it did get a bit full later in the day.
Breakfast was unfortunately quite limited and the food in the bain maries did not stay warm. There were 2 chefs cooking omlettes and fried eggs, but surprisingly only one on Sunday when it was busiest. The floor in the dining room was filthy and the chair covers looked as if they had been found in someones attic, dirty and full of creases.
Service in all of the eateries was very slow, we waited 45 mins one evening for spaghetti carbonara and we and people we made friends with had all found that the food arrived cool if not cold.
The staff at the Hotel are so lovely. Ida at the pool bar was wonderful, as was Sam, who's tender care of the cats on site endeared him to so many of us.
Staff at the bar in reception are the only fly in the ointment. Really rude and unhelpful.
Please do not listen to people who say there is hassle on the beach, I walked the beach alone every day and when approached just said I had been to gambia many times, this was my second week in resort and I wasn't interested! They give up if they think you are not fresh blood! Ha ha!
Hire a car and driver like we did £45 all in for the day and get out and see this wonderful country. Don't know if i would stay here again though.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RosWaLES
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Had a great time at this hotel. On arrival was greeted by some of the loveliest staff. Our room was upgraded! Thanks to the manager. The room was clean and well presented. The hotel has lovely grounds right on the beach. The pool area was well laid out and plenty of beds and space. The staff at the poolside were alway on had to help with mattress etc. The cafe / bar at poolside served very nice food. We were on B&B which there was plenty choice.

We ate out most nights with plenty choice close by or a short taxi ride to a larger choice.

I would fully recommend this hotel and the area, the busters can be a pain, but they were always friendly.

Room Tip: Any building, but building 1 appeared to be the closest to the nightlife / music
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 6,525
Reviewed 17 February 2014

As many said before, the hotel is right on the beach, with its own private stretch of beach where there's a lot less hassle from the fruit sellers than on the streets. 24/7 security guards on site, efficient service.
I had some problems with my safe and although I had to call them a couple of times about it because it kept on jamming, the maintenance guys always arrived promptly and finally sorted the problem by installing a new motor. I was alone, a female, and got a bit too much attention from a couple of the guys that worked there. I think it's just a cultural difference but by the end of the week of my holiday it became a bit too much.
Otherwise the room was cleaned on a daily basis, everything worked (apart from the safe, but as I said it was sorted), the quality of the room was surprisingly good, comfy bed, working shower, etc. The main restaurant has nice food and is not too expensive, the grilled barracuda is heavenly! :-) Nice cocktails and daily entertainment of sport programs during the day to music and dancing in the evening.
I'd go back there any time.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have a beautiful view of the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bpazar
Reviewed 15 February 2014

just came back from a weeks holiday - my only regret was that I didn't book for 2 boo hoo.
Hotel does need re-furbishing in parts, but this is currently being done. The staff were amazing and the beach was beautiful. Just needed cleaning up around the outside breakfast area allocated for smokers, but I prefer to call this Alfresco dining - view is to die for.

Most of the rooms have sea view, which is awesome. Entertainment every evening, which was first class.
Don't be put off by other peoples comments about beach sellers as one 2 have given you their card the others leave you alone. If you want 5 star and want to be left alone my suggestion would be to book the 5 star sheriton but quite honestly this would bore me. If you want atmosphere and to experience Gambia then this hotel is for you.
Daily activity programme, and beauty parlour on site. massage was fantastic.
Also if you like bird watching the creek is just ten minutes walk turning right out of the hotel. Only costs £10 for 2 hours an we spotted at least 45 different varieties.
Also if you fancy a day out to visit the real Gambia ask for Magic man on the beach (tell him Ann-Marie sent you!) and he will do a tour to suit. Great value and a lovely guide. Monkey park was fantastic got to feed the Colobus Monkey on my lap aahhhh
Also ate outside at the Tandori and Captains table and food was excellent - no Banjul belly.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view ask for high floor, but if you suffer with mobility problems there are no lifts so beware of this. But there are only two floors anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minilegsy1
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our first time to Gambia, we were impressed by the hotel and the people. The evening entertainment was good, except for one night when a poor man on nine foot stilts got caught up with a wheelchair and landed on my wife, she didn't mind, but I think the dancer was hurt.
We eat in the hotel every lunchtime and evening and have no complaints, and no bad stomachs.
If you want a family holiday, this place is ideal. We will return next year.

Room Tip: Corner suites have a large balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family