“Terrible staff and behaviour - nice village”
Review of Busua Waves Resort

Busua Waves Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Busua
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The resort is ok, but nothing fancy. It is however situated at the peacful village Busua - very charming. The rooms etc are at an acceptable level and breakfast is very good. BUT, when I arrived late at night with a printed dokument showing a comfirmation of my booking AND payment - they said: "No, we have not received your payment, so you have to pay again at the desk." I had to, could not go anywhere at that time. It took me almost 2 days and a lot of "discussions" to get them to send a mail to Hotels.com so I would not be doublecharged. Terrible staff and behaviour! (On the contrary: Hotels.com where very professional and helped me out!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank FredrikvonHomeyer

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

It's was a great experience for all of us.... Busua Beach Resort did come as advertised. Good food, beautiful beach, nice rooms and great service... Am sure gonna return again soon.
My 3 days there felt like a week of relaxation away from the busy nature of Accra.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Thaddeus Jude P
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Best of a bunch of places we stayed on a trip to Ghana and closest to the pre-conceived images of a tropical paradise beach. Expensive, but at least it felt like the best on offer. Good sized rooms in pretty good condition. Good range of food, with great lobster, but at a premium price. Great location for walking straight onto large open and relatively clean beach. Nearby village is a nice walk and we didn't get the usual hassle from the locals who seemed happy to have us milling about in their fishing fleet. Lots of other backpacker places in the village gave it a nice pseudo-Thai feel. Good location for day trips to stilt village and extreme west of Ghana. Main problem for us was noise: day-time weekend pool party atmosphere didn't fit well with the relaxing venue and the all-night reggae from bars in the village on one night was stadium-volume-ridiculous.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GaryMason101
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stopped by on a Sunday afternoon at this resort.The layout looks good & so do the rooms (from the outside).The group of us sat on a table just off the beach,local fisherman approached with some fresh lobsters,that we bought,they kept them in a net bag in the sea till we were ready to eat them.We was getting pretty good service from the resort for our drinks.The fishermen grilled the lobsters & brought them over in a black plastic bag (let down),they did not taste good,so my piece of advise is DO NOT BUY THESE,unless you're taking them away to cook later.The resort staff does not mind us getting the food from outside.
I did check the room rates & thought i would go back to stay there,but after reading the reviews here,i wont be doing that.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beta W
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed at Busua Beach Resort just after Christmas together with another family. We had a great time if it not had been for how the hotel handled a drowning accident. Strong currents and big waves together with crowds of people and almost no security ( two guys guarding 250m of beach). Three people died, two of them never came ashore. The hotel didn't do ANYTHING! No information, no signs, no warnings. Please be careful if going there. Ask how the currents are before you jump in.
The hotel is ok although a bit pricy. Breakfast was emptied early and the fillings slow. Dinner was buffet and all right. We had much nicer food at Busua Inn.
The rooms are poorly maintained but clean. When I turned the tap on I got it in my hand. Tiles were missing in the bathroom.
We played tennis in the evenings and the lights were great. The nets could be mended though.
Staff ok. A bit confusing when they gave us different information about the offers included in our stay. Some said drinks was included some said no drinks.

Room Tip: The rooms close to the sea are the most expensive ones and they are bigger than the rooms further up...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Katikka
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I would NEVER recommend this place. They were very dishonest about the price. We were told the cost was 165 for a double, being in Ghana we assumed cidis. Much to our dismay, when we checked out the bill was over 300 cidis, we were told the price in US dollars, which they neglected to tell us. Very clever way to rip off tourists!!!! BEWARE!

Busua Beach Resort was my only BAD encounter the two weeks I stayed in Ghana.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandy V
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I spent six days with my family at this special place and we will go there again. It is a well kept hotel, and offers good value for money. We were offered a fabulous family package and had a good room with standard amenities. For a family with three small kids it was just the ideal place to chill out. The food was great and filling. Service was usually marvelous, and you could get around the long waiting times for food by ordering in advance.
It was raining when we left, and the manager escorted my family with umbrellas to the car. We were sad to leave, and will be back again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Teddy3374
Also consider these accommodations in or near Busua
Best Western Plus Atlantic Hotel
Best Western Plus Atlantic Hotel
#1 of 13 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Axim Beach Hotel
Axim Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Axim
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takoradi Select
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takorad...
#2 of 13 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Planter's Lodge
Planter's Lodge
#4 of 13 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Takoradi Standard Hotel
Takoradi Standard Hotel
#7 of 13 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Ankobra Beach Resort

Been to Busua Waves Resort? Share your experiences!