“Paradise Found!”
Review of Sakatia Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nosy Be
Sakatia Lodge
South Africa
“Paradise Found!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Imagine a small lodge on a tropical island where the only mode of transport is your own feet, a white sandy beach, rum cocktails and delicious 3-course dinners served by attentive and friendly staff, world class diving and snorkelling, and leisurely boatrides to deserted beaches where staff grill fresh fish for lunch. That's Sakatia Lodge in a nutshell!

Be sure to take a guided walk with one of the knowledgeable local guides, who will show you a wealth of flora and fauna. Think giant turtles, lemurs, chameleons, pineapple, bananas, mango, vanilla, coffee and ylang ylang. At the end of the tour, they will be more than happy to show you around their village made up of basic palmleaf huts, without electricity and running water but with a lot of heart.

Resident divemasters Jacques and Jose will take you on amazing underwater adventures. The corals were some of the best and most diverse I've ever seen!

Sakatia Lodge is a haven away from the busy (and sometimes over exploited) Nosy Be. A true gem that I cannot recommend enough.

Room Tip: The ocean bungalows are simply amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
brighton
Reviewed 25 June 2013

4 nights booked, but nothing to do at the resort (couldn't sunbathe on dirty beach and the sun goes over by 3pm) so you end up doing poor excursions that the lodge organizes - at a very expensive price. Trips to Komba DON'T DO IT - terrible... also, Sakatia Lodge charge you for wifi connection, but be aware that electricity is switched off for periods during the day and night so no connection...

Accommodation was satisfactory. Food was okay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bobzeeBrighton
JHB
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband and I agreed on two destinations for our honeymoon, Zanzibar and Madagascar as neither us had been to these islands. From these two, my husband chose the final one and organised the accomodation etc. This was a surprise for me, only to be told at the airport which one it was. At first when he said that it was Madagascar, I have to admit that I was a little concerned as I wanted luxury and cleanliness etc for my honeymoon- Ive done a lot of rough-it holidays and this I didnt want to be one of them.

Well I was pleasantly pooven otherwise, Sakatia is an unbelievable secret paradise. I could never have dreamed of a more prestine, untouched, romantic, porsonable and luxurious destination. It had everything! The management treat you like gold, they make you feel so at home, and cater for your individual needs. The Island itself and the views from it, are so picturesque. The local staff are full of smiles and laughter, are so friendly and look after you so well. The rooms and bathrooms (which I'm usually so fussy about) are super clean and very comfortable. The Ocean Bungalows really are great as they are so spacious and have great balconies with a fantastic view. And best of all (coming from SA)- it is so safe, you leave your bungalows wide open all day everyday, without any concern.

The diving was a big thing for me, I arrived there an extremely nervous (and new) diver, Jaques (who runs the dive centre) took me under his wing and and took only my husband and I down to dive to get me comfortable. That extra effort was appreciated so much, I now cant wait for the next time that I dive.

There are so many variations in excurtions that you can do both on Nosy Be and on Sakatia, we loved the quad biking and the Pirogue tour around our Island. So special. The food at the Lodge was to die for- some of the dishes we spoke about for days after. The special touches like the complimentary little snacks at the bar while drinking cocktails before dinner, and the complimentary strong fruit infused Rhum shots after dinner were just a few of the touches that made this trip extra special.

I would recommend Sakatia Lodge to anyone! We will definately going back in the near future!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Richards Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Unsurpassed customer focus 24/7 while all our needs and wants were catered for always with a smile on the face. Great food, beautiful environment and many exciting activities to participate in. Superb snorkelling. Thank you Jacques and your team for a memorable holiday.

• Stayed June 2013
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

You arrive in your little corner of paradise by walking off the end of a pirogue through shallow, clear warm water onto a sandy beach while the staff carry your luggage on their shoulders. After 10 days of touring, pot-holed roads (at the best) and 4x4s you deserve this! Be aware that some of the rooms are up steepish stone steps behind the main building and as one of our group couldn't cope with this we were quickly given new beachside accommodation. Imagine this: bedroom doors permanently open to the terrace which was 6 steps from the sand and a few more to the sea (when the tide is in). Cushioned sun beds ready for you and when you stand up to move because it is too hot a groundsman runs over and wheels it under the trees for you. As we had come to expect, there was no menu but an enquiry if there was anything you didn't eat; the food was sourced locally, was fresh and organic and delicious, a lot of freshly caught fish and seafood was evident. An open lounge area with a well-stocked bar was the main meeting area.
Rooms and bathrooms were good, mozzie nets, AC, floor fan, wardrobes, bathroom toiletries and a decent shower.
The tide goes out for miles so if you want a swim you need to plan for hightide, 8 am is a great time then go straight to breakfast. My friends thoroughly enjoyed being taken to the reef to snorkel and all the gear is there to borrow as well as advice given on use of sun block etc.
This is a truly lovely place to rest and relax, leave your shoes and watch in your suitcase for a few days!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lyndam
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Very nice resort, good diving (whale shark!), 6 months later still thinking about the great time we had here. Lemurs were visiting us every night. The food was excellent! The staff is very friendly. Location is beautiful!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Getting there wasn't easy but apparently it is now possible to get there without flying to Tana first.

Two flights, a 45 min car ride and a short boat trip and we were in paradise. The water is clear and warm and host to the best snorkelling sites we have ever experienced. The staff were great and attentive, always checking in with us without being obtrusive with lots of helpful suggestions as to what to do in the area.

The food, mostly grown or caught on the island was delicious. The rooms are simple and adequate. Drainage on the shower wasn't great. The island is unspoilt, magnificent, tranquil.

The main islands are as one would expect: rural, basic.

Madagascar is not for everyone, but we loved it and will returning soon.

Check out Sakatia's Facebook page for some pics of the area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple