“Wonderful to relax and admire sunsets”

Anjiamarango Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Nosy Be
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I read so many bad reviews on various hotels and B&B on Nosy Be that I am glad we chose there to spend a few days to relax and enjoy the sea. Philippe and Nicole are great hosts and love what they do which is showing and make guests very comfortable. Real professionals eager to make sure you are having a great time. Fabulous sunsets on the beautiful bay. Only fresh food served, obviously seafood is king but also we had one of the best pave de zebu ever in Madagascar there! Might feel this is a bit isolated but all excursions are easily organised from the hotel.

Room Tip: the ones on the sea front are all good. Great sunset view garanteed!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2011

My wife and I and as my parents recently stayed at the Anjiamarango Beach Resort for four nights and had an absolutely amazing time.

Specifically:

1. Location: a fantastic setting. Unspoilt and tranquil with lovely views and spectacular sunsets. The beach is very quiet without the hassle of people trying to sell you things. Granted, the hotel was not full when we stayed but we had the beach and sea to ourselves.

2. Value: we found the hotel, given the facilities and setting, to be extremely good value for money.

3. Owners/staff: from the moment we arrived, the owners, Philippe and Monique and their son Igor were very welcoming. They would come to speak to us at breakfast and dinner to check everything was okay. I noticed they did the same for the other guests too. That personal touch was great and helped us to plan our days. A couple of examples of their generosity:

(i) in true British fashion, I got quite badly burnt by the sun whilst out snorkelling. When we returned to the hotel, Monique was there to greet us as we got off the boat and, having taken one look at my back and the back of my legs, immediately disappeared to get some Biafine (an very effective after-sun cream that for some reason you can get in France but not the UK). Monique insisted that I held on to the cream for the duration of our stay. A very nice touch;
(ii) after a day out snorkelling and exploring a nearby island, Philippe and Monique were there to greet us when we got back with cold towels to wipe our faces and hands down and delicious home-made fruit juices. In fact, on more than one occasion, we were greeted with the delicious fruit-juices. Another nice touch.

Igor was also very helpful and more than happy to help with any query we had. For instance, we were discussing hiring a car for the day and touring the island with him and he immediately disappeared to look into various options and prices that were available. Having decided on the car we wanted, he immediately took care of the arrangements.

The staff were all very pleasant, attentive and helpful. The service at breakfast and dinner was excellent.

4. Resort: the bungalows are lovely with many nice touches. The attention to detail is very impressive and they are a very good size. The spacing between each bungalow is more than enough to give you a feeling of privacy and the outside space is wonderful with lovely plants, flowers etc. The rooms were immaculately cleaned at least twice a day and the selection of shower gels was great. The shower was fantastic – powerful and hot whatever the time of day! Needless to say, the views from the bungalow were to die for. Because the resort is tucked away in a very tranquil location it is very quiet and peaceful at night which made for a great night’s sleep.

The lounge area was fantastic, very spacious and the sofas/armchairs were very comfortable and great for enjoying a cocktail in. We had great fun playing pool and table football.

The dining area is wonderful, offering great views of the sea. The lighting is just right and the tables are all very far apart which gives you a sense of space. All in all, the dining experience was first class, so good in fact that we had dinner there every day!

5. Food: delicious, absolutely delicious. I wonder if I will ever have such tasty fish again in my life! I would go back again just for the food, it really was that good. The menu is very interesting and varied and everything was so full of flavour. The Zebu meat was the nicest we had in Madagascar. The fresh bread rolls (soaked in balsamic vinegar and olive oil) were delicious, even if I did find myself eating too many! The desserts were varied and again, very good. I thought the pichets of wine were also very reasonably priced.

Another nice touch was the head waiter popping by whilst you were relaxing by your bungalow early evening to take your food order.

Breakfast was fantastic. A selection of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fresh yogurts and eggs as requested. There was definitely something for everyone. Excellent filtered coffee too.

The service was, at all times, excellent.

6. Facilities: second to none. Surfboards, snorkelling equipment, windsurf etc are all available to use, free of charge. The swimming pool is superb. There is even a gym with a good selection of machines which I used on a couple of occasions.

7. Overall experience: 10/10. There was so much to do, I think you could easily spend a week or more at the resort. As mentioned above, it is in a picture perfect, tranquil setting. Philippe, Monique and Igor have, as they admitted to us, sought to create a relaxing and peaceful resort – a place where you can sit back and take it easy, not surrounded the noise of Jetskis or by people trying to sell you things etc.

However, there are also a lot of day activities you can do and the owners will take time to talk you through the various options. The highlight for us was the day out on the Pirogue boat. We visited a nearby island (which we had to ourselves!) and had, sunburn aside, a great time snorkelling and getting a guided tour of the island and the caves by the one of the members of staff. Lunch was fresh fish caught that morning just off the island. It was wonderfully prepared using various spices. So simple yet so good. There is cold water provided all day as well as delicious fruit etc. Once the wind picked up on the way back we were able to put the sail up on the way back which was great fun.

Again, nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were always keen to help. As I have said, the staff were always very friendly – I think they are very well looked after by the owners (for instance, they are trying to help them improve their English by paying for them to attend English lessons).

I would say that the resort would be suitable for couples as much as it would be for families. There is a lot to keep kids entertained, even a resident lemur!

8. Cons: quite simply, none. Electricity being limited is absolutely the norm in Madagascar and was the same wherever we stayed. If you want electricity all day and home comforts like WIFI, air-conditioned hotel etc and a choice of restaurants a short walk from where you are staying then I would recommend somewhere La Plantation in Hellville or Hotel Colbert in Antsiranana. If you want an authentic, local experience, where you will be very well looked after, eat/sleep well and feel very relaxed, Anjiamarango Beach Resort is the place for you. Yes, it is fairly isolated but, in fairness, that is the whole point!

Our only regret – not staying longer!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 1 November 2011

A stunning paradise resort that made our Madagascan holiday complete. The hosts were incredibly warm and accommodating even though we arrived very late in the evening. Monique (the owner) was also able to speak English, which was incredibly helpful and enabled us to organise experiences we wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

Every morning we were greeted by our hosts and their lovely staff that made it their duty to ensure our every need was catered for. Definitely get the breakfast and dinner.

The resort itself was beautiful. We would definitely recommend booking a hut along the beach front rather than one higher up the hill as the view of the sunset over the waves from the bed was incredible. There are lots of experiences and excursions to try out including amazing snorkelling at a nearby tiny coral island, reached by traditional sailing canoe with the helpful staff for company. Our best decision was hiring a quad bike to explore the island by ourselves. This gives you the freedom to go where you want, as you can easily circle the island’s main road in a couple of hours. A couple of notable stops en route around the island were the highest point - Mont Lokobe - where you can see the whole island from the top, the ylang-ylang factory and one of the many beach hotels for a drink.

If you decide to hire a quad, ensure you take a valid driving license as the police stopped us. We had the impression that the options were to hand over a license or some cash!

Really can’t honestly fault this resort, highly recommended. We will be going back.

Tom and Helen, London, UK

Room Tip: Get a beachfront hut if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 2 September 2011

“scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011
people found this review helpful

My concierge at Tana hotel confirmed that transportation is included in hotel rate and I made clear that I will stay only two days. The owner lady charged me 90000 ariary for crappy taxi ride when I checked out. She said it's for only more than 2 days stay guests!! I found out that this was too much for local taxi when I had a ride to royal beach hotel. Electricity is limited only certain times in the morning and evening. No hot shower, and I have to say bungalow condition was good at least.

Re-writing a review after I received a message from Anjiamarango Beach Resort
The way hotel manage customer's complains could be one of the crucial point which determines it's quality level in general. That sarcastic response speaks itself how unprofessional, actually very amateur Anjiamarango Beach Resort is.

Pros: Hotel has a good view and peaceful atmosphere.
Bungalow is spacious and in a good condition.

Cons: No hot shower- I've got a cold. At night, it's very cold and windy.
Electricity is limited- NO WIFI- it was okay for me but I had to pay about 6000 ariary for3 minuites internet use. can't say great though, if you want to experience how primitive life would be like, it's a great choice!
Bad location. -it's kind of isolated resort, you have no choice for restaurant. you can only use their restaurant.

I AM TELLING THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH:

I made a reservation through concierge from Tana hotel because I don't speak french. I made it clear staying 2 days and Anjiamarango Beach Resort confirmed transportation will be provided from hotel for free of charge. The day I checked out, Anjiamarango Beach Resort charged me 90000 ariary for transportation.

Although there may had been a miss communication between Tana hotel concierge, Anjiamarango Beach Resort should have been notified me about transportation fee before I check in.
Instead of charging doubled or possibly tripled price than the actual, normal taxi ride in Nosy Be, charging with a reasonable price would've not make me feel like I was ripped off or deceived by Anjiamarango Beach Resort. To tell you about the taxi, it's not a car that you might think it is. How can I describe this taxi,,, more than 30 years old I guess, and it's amazing that the engine still works! Every Malagasy people ride it as a public transportation anyway. I even had fun with those little taxi, but the point is that not a condition of taxi ride but how Anjiamarango Beach Resort treated me is not the right way they should treat customers. I found out that normal taxi ride range is from 2000 to 20000 or whatever the driver asks for foreigners and have to start negotiate with. I did not call the taxi on my own, it was provided from Anjiamarango Beach Resort.
I talked about it with both French and Malagasy people back in Tana. They said it's obvious that Anjiamarango had been discriminative against me. No one wants to be deceived or discriminated. I have a right to tell or report what I had been through. I hope this review could help or by any chance to improve service quality at Anjiamarango Beach Resort and other travelers to avoid any discrimination by Anjiamarango Beach Resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
14  Thank alina1029
philippemonique, Propriétaire at Anjiamarango Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Dear Madame !

I did not know to this day that the concierge of the Tana hotel represented our resort on Nosy Be ....
Next time, think you better learn about the hotel structure that will meet your expectations, by talking to professionals.
Agencies and tour operators who represent us on Tana do not delegate a concierge to market our resort and are especially aware of the fact that transfers are included in our rates from three nights .... and that we are in the nature .... and that we make cuts of generators for the protection of environment.....ecological logic requires....
I am keeping, of course, these rates at your disposal !
It is the same for all customers who ask us by mail ! Total transparency and objectivity !

I hope the term used "scam" have exceeded your thoughts and will not be detrimental to our integrity and our professionalism.

Our customers and prospects will not be fooled !

I wish you a long life and that it brings restraint and reflection !

Reviewed 23 August 2011

The resort is located on a gorgeous long white beach with palm trees and a perfect sunset every evening! Even in winter the water is warm, very few and small waves, a fantastic infinity pool and an adjacent small pool perfect for chillin' (or for children). Big beautiful restaurant & bar/lounge, stylish and locally crafted design, wonderful big airy bungalow with sliding doors which open up to your own beach garden right by the water! The owners (a French family) are charming and attentive, constantly taking care of all guests. The food (lunch and dinner) was very good even though the breakfast buffet could and should have been better. Lots of activities are available, both at the resort and as excursions. LOVED it.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank susanned
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We booked this place according to some reviews we read about the place and we didn't have to regret at all. We stayed at Anjiamarango for 6 nights and we absolutely loved it. It is a lovely little paradise with everything well planned. The bungalows are fantastic, only 10 meters from the ocean. You can take it easy and just chill at the beach or you can do a lot of activities on the island, it's up to you. One of the nicest things was traditional fishing, we went fishing twice. The traditional malagasy fishing is great fun and the best thing is that the cheff of the restaurant will cook your fish for dinner for you. All the best to the owners Monique and Philippe! Greetings from Finland! You are great!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FinnsTravelling_11
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Coming back from a rough journey through the North of Mada, we needed to have some well deserved rest and craved for a nice and out of the crowd place in a pristine area of Nosy Be.
Having checked in advance quite a few forums and read hundreds of reviews, Anjiamarango appeared to be the haven we were looking for. A first email contact with super-friendly Philippe Gron, set the tone. He arranged everything so that a rental car was waiting for us at Hellville harbour when our boat arrived.
After a scenic drive through Nosy Be very nice countryside, we were met by Philippe and his charming wife Monique who, brought us to our sea facing bungalows. At close to 80 square meters, not to mention the private garden and sundecks, we found no match to them (at least in this price range) in all Nosy be. Just add the fact that everything is spotlessly clean and perfectly maintained, that the place is staffed with efficient and highly commited staff ready to answer your very needs and you will, as we did, come to the conclusion that this is the place for top of the range holidays in Nosy Be, not to mention the fact that the hotel can take care of all excursions and travel arrangements to make your trip trully unique. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple