“Absolute bliss!”

and 1 more site!
Anjiamarango Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Nosy Be
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I've been fortunate to have travelled quite extensively, and have stayed at everything from 5* hotel suites across Europe and the Middle East, to backpackers lodges on the South African Wild Coast. After staying for 14 nights, I can honestly say that Anjiamarango is one of the best holidays I've ever had!

If you like loud music on the beach, discothèques, jet-ski's and constant entertainment then Anjiamarango is probably not for you - I'd suggest Vegas or Disneyland instead...but if you can appreciate all the wonders of the natural world, the sound of the ocean lapping at your bedroom door, and the sheer bliss of being 'unplugged', then you really shouldn't miss Anjiamarango.

We stayed in a traditional-style bungalow which was literally 10m from the water's edge, was immaculately clean and had its own private beach-garden. It was basic but very comfortable - cool showers were very welcome in the tropical heat!

Service and attention from the Gron family and staff was exceptional - this is a family-run resort that has been welcomed into the local community. Staff take pride in their service and dedication to guest comfort.

There is so much to do, or you could simply just do nothing and enjoy some down-time. Highly recommend the sport fishing, pirogue trip to nearby island, quad biking, snorkelling...and all the different flavoured rum available in the bar (although probably not all at the same time ;) As a keen fly-fisherman, I was absolutely thrilled to be able to catch giant kingfish (GT) right in front of my bungalow!

This truly is a special place of immense natural beauty - the sunsets are spectacular and the tranquillity unmatched. Go with an open mind and you will not regret it for a minute!

PS: Take lots of sunblock and insect repellent (you'll need it...)

Room Tip: Get a bungalow in "first position" - i.e. along the water's edge
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank rravens

Reviewed 4 May 2012

We spend 7 nights here at the end of April. The resort exceeded our expectations. Given that we dont speak any French, it was great that Monique and Phillippe do speak English. Monique went out of her way to assist us with any sightseeing we wanted to do and very kindly lent us some bug ointment after we got eaten alive by sand flies!!!

We scuba dived with Nosy Scuba - highly recommend the company - was a great experience. We also did the day trip out to Nosy Fanile (!) in a traditional dhow. The lunch of freshly caught fish cooked right there on the beach was a truly wonderful experience.

The rooms are fairly basic but very adequate and the views out to sea make up for it. try to ask for a sea level bungalow and i think the views are nicer than if you are further up.

in general the food was good - we went all inclusive on food and drinks which for us was a good option. The beef fillet (zebu) and crayfish were 5* meals without question.

The pool area is beautful and we spent many happy hours there. The upstairs pub area offers a magnificent setting to have a few sundowners in the evening.

i would totally recommend this resort :)

Room Tip: ask for a beach front room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SGJHB
Reviewed 14 January 2012

If you'are looking for a super relaxed resort, please choose this bungalow hotel. Staff, food and bungalows are super! This is like a dream. We really want to go back! If you are looking for a bungalow, please book here!! Kind regards sebastian and lotje from belgium xx

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sebastien W
Reviewed 9 December 2011

When I arrived here, I'd been travelling for nearly 3 months and was looking forward to some rest & relaxation. I couldn't have chosen better. This is a small, uncomplicated but lovely family run hotel. Nothing was too much effort and even though I was probably the only non-french speaking guest during my stay, the staff and owners made a real effort to talk to me and as a single traveller too, I really appreciated it . Food was lovely - really fresh. The hotel and grounds really clean and well maintained and my bungalow really was (as the website says) 10m from the beach - idyllic!

The beach whilst lovely, isn't the best I've been too. It did have a lot of seaweed and as the tide comes right up, there wasn't much beach to actually lay on, but this is compensated by for each bungalow's own "beach garden" outside.

If you want something that isn't a big complex hotel (but still has good amenities and activities if you want them), at a great price with seclusion and comfort, then this is definitely the hotel for you

Room Tip: Go for a beach front bungalow - book early
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank JoanneDavies
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I read so many bad reviews on various hotels and B&B on Nosy Be that I am glad we chose there to spend a few days to relax and enjoy the sea. Philippe and Nicole are great hosts and love what they do which is showing and make guests very comfortable. Real professionals eager to make sure you are having a great time. Fabulous sunsets on the beautiful bay. Only fresh food served, obviously seafood is king but also we had one of the best pave de zebu ever in Madagascar there! Might feel this is a bit isolated but all excursions are easily organised from the hotel.

Room Tip: the ones on the sea front are all good. Great sunset view garanteed!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My wife and I and as my parents recently stayed at the Anjiamarango Beach Resort for four nights and had an absolutely amazing time.

Specifically:

1. Location: a fantastic setting. Unspoilt and tranquil with lovely views and spectacular sunsets. The beach is very quiet without the hassle of people trying to sell you things. Granted, the hotel was not full when we stayed but we had the beach and sea to ourselves.

2. Value: we found the hotel, given the facilities and setting, to be extremely good value for money.

3. Owners/staff: from the moment we arrived, the owners, Philippe and Monique and their son Igor were very welcoming. They would come to speak to us at breakfast and dinner to check everything was okay. I noticed they did the same for the other guests too. That personal touch was great and helped us to plan our days. A couple of examples of their generosity:

(i) in true British fashion, I got quite badly burnt by the sun whilst out snorkelling. When we returned to the hotel, Monique was there to greet us as we got off the boat and, having taken one look at my back and the back of my legs, immediately disappeared to get some Biafine (an very effective after-sun cream that for some reason you can get in France but not the UK). Monique insisted that I held on to the cream for the duration of our stay. A very nice touch;
(ii) after a day out snorkelling and exploring a nearby island, Philippe and Monique were there to greet us when we got back with cold towels to wipe our faces and hands down and delicious home-made fruit juices. In fact, on more than one occasion, we were greeted with the delicious fruit-juices. Another nice touch.

Igor was also very helpful and more than happy to help with any query we had. For instance, we were discussing hiring a car for the day and touring the island with him and he immediately disappeared to look into various options and prices that were available. Having decided on the car we wanted, he immediately took care of the arrangements.

The staff were all very pleasant, attentive and helpful. The service at breakfast and dinner was excellent.

4. Resort: the bungalows are lovely with many nice touches. The attention to detail is very impressive and they are a very good size. The spacing between each bungalow is more than enough to give you a feeling of privacy and the outside space is wonderful with lovely plants, flowers etc. The rooms were immaculately cleaned at least twice a day and the selection of shower gels was great. The shower was fantastic – powerful and hot whatever the time of day! Needless to say, the views from the bungalow were to die for. Because the resort is tucked away in a very tranquil location it is very quiet and peaceful at night which made for a great night’s sleep.

The lounge area was fantastic, very spacious and the sofas/armchairs were very comfortable and great for enjoying a cocktail in. We had great fun playing pool and table football.

The dining area is wonderful, offering great views of the sea. The lighting is just right and the tables are all very far apart which gives you a sense of space. All in all, the dining experience was first class, so good in fact that we had dinner there every day!

5. Food: delicious, absolutely delicious. I wonder if I will ever have such tasty fish again in my life! I would go back again just for the food, it really was that good. The menu is very interesting and varied and everything was so full of flavour. The Zebu meat was the nicest we had in Madagascar. The fresh bread rolls (soaked in balsamic vinegar and olive oil) were delicious, even if I did find myself eating too many! The desserts were varied and again, very good. I thought the pichets of wine were also very reasonably priced.

Another nice touch was the head waiter popping by whilst you were relaxing by your bungalow early evening to take your food order.

Breakfast was fantastic. A selection of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fresh yogurts and eggs as requested. There was definitely something for everyone. Excellent filtered coffee too.

The service was, at all times, excellent.

6. Facilities: second to none. Surfboards, snorkelling equipment, windsurf etc are all available to use, free of charge. The swimming pool is superb. There is even a gym with a good selection of machines which I used on a couple of occasions.

7. Overall experience: 10/10. There was so much to do, I think you could easily spend a week or more at the resort. As mentioned above, it is in a picture perfect, tranquil setting. Philippe, Monique and Igor have, as they admitted to us, sought to create a relaxing and peaceful resort – a place where you can sit back and take it easy, not surrounded the noise of Jetskis or by people trying to sell you things etc.

However, there are also a lot of day activities you can do and the owners will take time to talk you through the various options. The highlight for us was the day out on the Pirogue boat. We visited a nearby island (which we had to ourselves!) and had, sunburn aside, a great time snorkelling and getting a guided tour of the island and the caves by the one of the members of staff. Lunch was fresh fish caught that morning just off the island. It was wonderfully prepared using various spices. So simple yet so good. There is cold water provided all day as well as delicious fruit etc. Once the wind picked up on the way back we were able to put the sail up on the way back which was great fun.

Again, nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were always keen to help. As I have said, the staff were always very friendly – I think they are very well looked after by the owners (for instance, they are trying to help them improve their English by paying for them to attend English lessons).

I would say that the resort would be suitable for couples as much as it would be for families. There is a lot to keep kids entertained, even a resident lemur!

8. Cons: quite simply, none. Electricity being limited is absolutely the norm in Madagascar and was the same wherever we stayed. If you want electricity all day and home comforts like WIFI, air-conditioned hotel etc and a choice of restaurants a short walk from where you are staying then I would recommend somewhere La Plantation in Hellville or Hotel Colbert in Antsiranana. If you want an authentic, local experience, where you will be very well looked after, eat/sleep well and feel very relaxed, Anjiamarango Beach Resort is the place for you. Yes, it is fairly isolated but, in fairness, that is the whole point!

Our only regret – not staying longer!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 1 November 2011

A stunning paradise resort that made our Madagascan holiday complete. The hosts were incredibly warm and accommodating even though we arrived very late in the evening. Monique (the owner) was also able to speak English, which was incredibly helpful and enabled us to organise experiences we wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

Every morning we were greeted by our hosts and their lovely staff that made it their duty to ensure our every need was catered for. Definitely get the breakfast and dinner.

The resort itself was beautiful. We would definitely recommend booking a hut along the beach front rather than one higher up the hill as the view of the sunset over the waves from the bed was incredible. There are lots of experiences and excursions to try out including amazing snorkelling at a nearby tiny coral island, reached by traditional sailing canoe with the helpful staff for company. Our best decision was hiring a quad bike to explore the island by ourselves. This gives you the freedom to go where you want, as you can easily circle the island’s main road in a couple of hours. A couple of notable stops en route around the island were the highest point - Mont Lokobe - where you can see the whole island from the top, the ylang-ylang factory and one of the many beach hotels for a drink.

If you decide to hire a quad, ensure you take a valid driving license as the police stopped us. We had the impression that the options were to hand over a license or some cash!

Really can’t honestly fault this resort, highly recommended. We will be going back.

Tom and Helen, London, UK

Room Tip: Get a beachfront hut if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Nosy Mitsio
Palm Beach Resort & Spa
Palm Beach Resort & Spa
#6 of 31 in Nosy Be

Been to Anjiamarango Beach Resort? Share your experiences!