Club Mak, as it's locally known, appealed to us so we went there for a long weekend with relatives who reside in Malawi for a few years, bringing a 1 and a 3 year old son with us.
The place is generally very clean and the staff very friendly. It is right on the lake with a broad beach. Rooms are nice and clean but a bit outdated.
The food served in the restaurant is alright in the afternoon, but in the evenings the menu to choose from shrinks to about 4 choices and the food is not particularly good.
Overall the hotel is a bit pretentious, very 80ish, probably great for Malawian standards but not worth the (huge amount of) money they charge per night (nearly US300 pppn. if from outside Malawi, excl. food!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Makokola Retreat. Brilliantly green gardens reveal spacious beach villas and rooms perched along the shores of Southern Lake Malawi. We provide gracious service in an unmatched experience in Malawi. This showpiece property captures the essence of African design, culture and tradition. While staying with us, fill every moment with a sense of natural connection in our wonderful retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Makokola Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Makokola Retreat Hotel Mangochi
- The Makokola Retreat Malawi/Mangochi