“Sensational Location”

Sunbird Nkopola Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mangochi
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had a business trip where I spent 4 days at the Sunbird Nkopola Lodge. - The rooms are spacious but basic. They were clean. I had a room away from Lake Malawi. The conference facilities were very good - lunch was provided and very good.

After work - a few beers at the bar, overlooking the lake was the order of the day - I think the beers were extremely cheep !! the bar food was great.

Breakfast in the morning was a buffet style, and a good mix.

staff were friendly and helpful

just be mindful there are a number of monkeys that roam the yards. The staff try to scare them off, but they still jump down and try to steal food from your table if you are sitting outside on the balcony of the restaurant.

would stay here on a private holiday - although I have been told not to swim in Lake Malawi.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rob L

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We had a perfect veiw of Lake Malawi from my bed..The hotel opens up to the very clean and unexploited beach. We have never enjoyed swimming in the beach like we did here. We took a boat ride on the lake and it was bad fun.
The staff at the hotel were friendly and even nicknamed me Mfumukazi, which means queen. the band that performed with traditional instruments at the bar in the evening was great. The hotel is very clean and one of the best you can use in this area. I stayed here for three days

Room Tip: Select rooms with a veiw of the lake.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had room 30, which openes directly on to the beach. Lovely big room, comfortable, excellent bathroom. Great restaurant and beach bar, super friendly and nice staff. There is a pool but we swam in the lake. there are some watersports facilities, and a nice village full of baobab trees on the way to the main road. Highly recommended, and felt much warmer and more welcoming than Maklola Lodge up the road where we went for lunch one day, which is grander but felt less friendly to us.
There are monkeys on site, watch out or they will steal your mangoes....

I liked this place a lot. And if you go to Monkey Bay check out Monkey Bay Lodge which is brand new and doing a 'soft opening'.... Great spot, nice people and a fabulous chambo lunch!

I do highly recommend a holiday in Malawi. We had toolittle time and are already planning a return

Room Tip: get one on lake front! And make sure that your A?C and next door's A?C isnt too noisy. Some of t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gpdLondon
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed there for 4 days, the place is fantastic it does give the beautiful view of Lake Malawi.
A truely holiday destination for holiday makers!!!!!! The food was divine fish was tasty just to my expectations...The room we stayed in had a perfect view we could see the lake and hear the sound of water waves like we were in a different world!!!!!!
However my only disappointment was the fruits available. I love my fresh fruits...to my surprise the most fruits available were tinned fruits!!!!!Hope from now on the management will try to provide more of fresh fruits that tinned ones!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JulietSusuweleMbewe
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week. It was Truely fabulous. I also stayed club mak. But Mkopola lodge is far better than club Mak. The rooms are clean, specious and air conditioned. The restaurant on site is good, the service is fantastic. Overall *****

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Alexander M
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My Wife and myself stayed at Nkopola Lodge for 2 nights as part of our vacation after visiting Liwonde National Park. We occupied one of the Honeymoon Rooms which overlook Lake Malawi. It gives a fantastic view of Lake Malawi and you rise in the morning and sleep at night. As you sleep at night, the sound of water waves becomes loud and clear and makes the whole experience romantic.

The rooms are clean, except for the small lake flies which are full in the area, I guess due to the weather, but the beddings and rest of amenities are properly taken caver of. Our room had aircon which was functioning properly and being beginning of Dec-13, when the weather is very hot, the aircon came in handy.

The experience was spiced up with a visit to the bird island where we had to see the famous Fish Eagle and see the blue and gold fish. The island is full of rocks and plantation making it a good sight for relaxing.

If you happen to be in the area of Mangochi, this is one place to visit as well

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 0863mm
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had a room which had airconditioning which lead on to the beach which was very nice with a patio outside with loungers. We did however have a problem with ants in the bathroom especially on the toilet. We reported it and someone came to deal with them but the ants reappeared. The pool was great - well maintained and clean.

The food was good although on the night we had a buffet we thought the food at the Sunbird on Zomba plateau superior. On other occasions we ordered from the menu and the service was slow.

One of our group had washing stolen from her patio so if staying here I would advise not to leave anything lying around.

Although the lake is lovely we didn't paddle or swim due to bilharzia although the locals do.

We did a boat trip to Bird Island. We had been told that we would get off at the island but we remained on the boat which was a bit odd.

Room Tip: get a room which is on the beach but don't leave anything lying around as it might well be stole...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank biggles51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangochi
Gecko Lounge
#10 of 30 in Mangochi
Ngala Beach Lodge
Ngala Beach Lodge
#2 of 8 in Nkhata Bay

Been to Sunbird Nkopola Lodge? Share your experiences!