“Amazing place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Njaya Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Njaya Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Nkhata Bay B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had the most wonderful time, great people, beautiful location, good foo & wifi!!! i will be going back as soon as I can and for a longer stay. We stayed in August which offered lovely weather. I will be talking about this trip for a long, long time and trying to get others to come out as well. Loved it!!

Room Tip: There is such a selection of rooms that it would be worth asking for what suits your style.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washinton Dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed here for four nights and if I ever get to Nkhata Bay again, I will choose Njaya. I had originally planned on staying at Maoyka but they were full. As soon as I arrived, the view from the restaurant terrace convinced me that I didn't care about my first choice anymore. I got a reasonably priced very nice room right on the lake. There were some really nice rooms on offer, but I went for something a bit cheaper...only drawback, lots of stairs...look at it as a spa vacation, you will be fit by the time you leave. The shared bathrooms at the bottom are a bit on the iffy side but ok. and the ones near the restaurant are fine. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Not to take away from anyone else, as everyone was nice, but Dixon and Gilbert were absolutely lovely and really make the place feel like home immediately. They've worked there a long time and are the life and soul of the place. I visited Mayoka Village while there and I have to say, that although quite nice, I don't see why they get all the business. I think Njaya has a nicer setting and a very nice beach, which Maoyka lacks. I would definitely recommend this place. Also, as a solo female traveler who was the only guest in the place one night, and staying in a room at a fair vertical distance from the main part of the hotel, I found the security guard sitting on my doorstep when I went back to my room. Although at first surprised (he moved off a little further away once I got back), I actually felt safer because of this and appreciated it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kashgar19
Waihi Beach, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We were suppose to be staying at Mayoka Resort but it was booked out, so as a last minute decision, we found this place. It was a little hard to find (we did arrive at night). The staff were absolutely amazing. Special mention must go to Gilbert and Mr Lubley Dubly, one of our waiters. They just made the stay that more enjoyable. WE had a 4 bed cabin down at the bottom by the lake which was clean and comfortable. I wouldnt recommend the bottom rooms if you have bad hips, knees etc as the climb up and down was quite arduous. In saying that, it only took a couple of minutes to walk up, so it wasn't like you were doing a hike! They were helpful at arranging some dug out canoes for us to have a go in (this was an extra cost). Be prepared, if you are ordering meals (which you need to as there is no self catering kitchen) it takes a couple of hours to get your meal, so if you want dinner at 7pm, we would go up to the restaurant and order and 5pm then grab some drinks and admire the lake views. Meals were huge! I would definately return here if I was to travel back to Nkhata Bay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is a wonderful and peaceful place at the shores of Lake Malawi. The service is wonderful. The meals are one of a kind. But the very best things are the surrounding areas. To stay in a house here and wake up just before sunrise and see the sun get born out of the Lake is really something extra.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed here for one night and would have stayed longer if the service had not been so poor. The first room I was shown had no taps and no shower head so I was eventually offered another room - with functioning bathroom. I let the staff know that I would be dining in the restaurant that night (as there were no other guests I thought this was a wise thing to do) around 7pm. The service was so slow that just before 9pm I gave up and went to bed without dinner - not a big deal in the scheme of things but I had ordered a pizza - which I later found out was a frozen pizza, which only needed heating and should not have taken 2 hours to heat and serve. I was given all manner of excuses by the staff who tried to convince me the chef had been making the pizza dough from scratch and waiting for it to rise...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Claire P
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Took a while to getting round to write a review but have very fond memories and wanted to share how great a stay we had at Njaya, mainly due to the incredible friendly staff that every other traveller seems to comment on. The location is perfect and it's worth paying a little extra to have a lake front bungalow. Beautiful. It was extremely good value for money.
The downsides would be the lake flies and mosquitoes which obviously they have little control over, and the bathrooms (which were shared for some rooms) were terrible and filthy, but maybe renovated by now. The balcony was lovely overlooking the lake but you are eaten alive! The food was fairly good.
We would definitely go back if we returned to Nkhata bay, if only for the friendly service and our favourite staff member 'Lovely Jubbly'!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Outstandingly beautiful, staff who go out of their way to help, gorgeous rooms.... a very difficult place to leave.
My friend and I had a week at Njaya and I can safely say it was not long enough.
The rooms were very comfortable, and ours was located right on the edge of the lake, with the sound of the water easing us into sleep each night.
It was quiet when we were there, due to it being the rainy season, but that was perfect for us.
The staff are so friendly and welcoming that I totally agree with the previous comment likening them to being a family. They went out of their way to ensure that we had all that we needed and organised a great boat trip to see the Fish Eagle and to go snorkelling.
Everyone was welcome, and one of the highlights was a local musician, Gasper, playing in the bar. Within minutes there were lots of children dancing along. Fabulous.
If I go back to Malawi I will definitely be returning to Njaya Lodge. Thank you

#1 of 5 in Chintheche
Grand Palace Hotel
Grand Palace Hotel
#1 of 6 in Mzuzu

Been to Njaya Lodge? Share your experiences!