“Family and backpacker perfect!”
Review of Archipelago Resort

and 1 more site!
Archipelago Resort
Durban, South Africa
“Family and backpacker perfect!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My boyfriend and I travelled to Vilanculos in July. On contacting some old friends, it was recommended that we stay at Archipelago in the single rooms (not the chalets) as we were short on budget and generally found the area rather pricey. Although without a view, it was great! The rooms were very basic- a massive comfy double bed, chair, closet and communal bathrooms – but it was all we needed. When you’re in one of the most beautiful parts of Southern Africa, being indoors is definitely last on the list! I might also mention that there are separate bathrooms for both sexes and there are only 6 of these rooms so they are always clean and never crowded. The service was very good with our room being cleaned every day and fresh towels provided. We did have a brief look at one of the chalets and they seem like an absolute bargain for groups of 5 or 6 travellers. They were well furnished and the views on them were stunning too! Jean the manager was friendly and happy to help where possible, but our stay was no doubt made by the presence of the owners Jeff and Jan – they have infectious smiles and a great warmth about them. Even the maintenance man managed to make my day by fixing my shoe which broke in the soft sand, he insisted I didn’t pay him and did it immediately, dropping all his work to help me! The bar gets quite festive especially on rugby nights, however, it closed by 8pm which was a bit of a pity if you had your party pants on. We ate at the restaurant a couple times and I thoroughly recommend the fresh fish, burgers and crab starters! Most activities in the area also take place from Archipelago which is a bonus for convenience especially if you are without a car (we were not encouraged to walk far although it seemed safe). Activities included canoeing, horse riding along the beach (must do! It’s fantastic!), boat trips, diving and fishing charters. More importantly, the beach is right infront of the lodge! Travellers wishing to find good accommodation, great service and even better location, on a budget, should look no further than here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ShortneyD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed there a couple of years ago as part of horseriding vacation in vilanculos.
The lodge was very very spacious, nicely decorated with a nice African feeling.
The view from the room was wonderful and u wake up every morning over such a view is incredible.
The pool area was nice just in front of the ocean with a nice basic restaurant and nice food.
The beach is just wonderful.
The range of activities is very limited, but since I was in a part of horseriding vacation, I did not get the time to be bored, i was either riding or relaxing by the pool.
Overall the experience was excellent and nice introduction to Africa, but it only suites the adventurous travelers looking for relaxation;the four stars rating in vilanculos is not that of the carribean or the western world.
Be aware vilanculos is a very basic place, I would recommend if u go there to be a part of organized trip, not just throwing yourself there.
I would rate the hotel as very good for vilanculos, average with the carribean standards.

Room Tip: Be sure to be an ocean view, the view is amazing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My sister-in-law and nieces had been to this beautiful place before, and this is where they wanted to celebrate my niece's 18th with some friends - so my husband and I invited ourselves. The best barging in I've ever done. Absolute perfection: the most beautiful beach I've ever seen (and have seen a few); fantastic lodge run by wonderful Sean and Sharne, and great staff. Nothing too much trouble. Ages ranged from 18 to 55 and everyone loved the holiday. Cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: the sea view casas are a must
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ArchipelagoHarare, Owner at Archipelago Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We are thrilled your celebration was such a success at Archipelago’s perfect setting for any party. Please tell your friends to tell their friends about this ‘hidden treasure!’ We look forward to hosting your return trip.
Hilton, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The spacious casas with their fantastic views are what sets Archipelago Resort apart from all the other places we have stayed at in Mozambique. Sean, Sharne, Andrew and their staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Our family ranged from Grannie to a 9 year old and all were happy. The extra distance from home was worth it and we are already planning our next trip there!

Room Tip: Anyone from 4 to 8 for island/sea views from your own spacious verandah.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Harry998
ArchipelagoHarare, Owner at Archipelago Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Archipelago Resort was delighted to host Harry Shaw and his family who drove all the way from Durban to enjoy a holiday at our fabulous resort right on the best beach! We look forward to your return visit in 2015!
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Fantastic holiday! We travelled from Harare using the convoy and no incidents occurred. Clean accommodation, stunning views, relaxed atmosphere, excellent restaurant, friendly and helpful staff. We used the dive school on site for a trip to the reefs and islands. Amazing experience, very professional unforgettable beaches. Would highly recommend Archipelago to anyone who wants a relaxed and comfortable beach holiday for the family.

Room Tip: Sea facing is stunning
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucinda D
Cape Town
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I struggled finding an affordable resort for my 40th birthday in Mozambique and I am very glad that I chose Archipelago Resort after receiving a recommendation from a friend who had stayed there before. The management couple (Sharne & Sean) were very accommodating and helped me pre-arrange my actual birthday event which took the form of a beautiful outdoor seafood extravaganza complete with rock lobster and prawns. Moz bliss!

Activities were easy to book and I can highly recommend booking a speedboat to two mile reef for an amazing snorkeling experience and of course the horse riding on the beach. The boat was booked easily enough through the dive centre on site but the horse riding is off site but close enough.

The casas are very well equipped and all I can recommend is doing a proper shop at the mini market in town (Taurus) before coming out to the resort. Getting to town and back is not difficult but can be quite expensive unless there is a group of you. It is well stocked and we were able to find coconut milk and curry paste for an amazing prawn curry a la casa. If you have special dietry needs or need special ingredients for a dish you plan to cook during your stay, then bring these with you. Can also highly recommend cocktails and dinner at the newly renovated Dona Ana Hotel in Vilanculos harbour. It is worth the trip.

I have rebooked for September and cannot wait to spend more time in this magical part of the Africa.

Room Tip: All casas are equally beautiful but request a seafront location if available.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RhinoAfrica
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed 5 nights. Our casa was beautiful with a kitchen, 3 bedrooms and a large porche with a view on the garden and the sea. Each casa had Access to its own BBQ and the resort restaurant also provided reasonably good food. The manager was very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the sea
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilanculos
Casa Rex Boutique Hotel by Sol Resorts
Villas do Indico Ocean Eco-Resort & Spa
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bazaruto Island

Been to Archipelago Resort? Share your experiences!