“Fabulous vacation, fantastic crew” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sailaway Dhow Safaris

Sailaway Dhow Safaris
Ranked #9 of 17 things to do in Vilanculos
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer all inclusive day and overnight dhow safaris to the Bazaruto Archipelago National Park. Accommodation options on overnight safaris include camping or lodge accommodation on the mainland whilst on safari. Excellent food, refreshments, snorkeling over reefs and exploring the islands in the Archipelago. Day safari rate from Mt 2,850 p/p and overnight safaris from Mt7,350 p/p.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous vacation, fantastic crew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We did the 3 day/2 night trip which was exactly the kind of relaxing break of reality that my friend and I had been searching for - lots of sun, beautiful vistas, we even lucked out and saw dugongs and dolphins! When I first realized that we weren't camping on the Bazarutos I was mildly disappointed. However, the pre-erected camp site with hot water showers and flush toilets was actually perfect and remote enough that the stargazing and views from our tent were just as amazing as they would have been on the islands themselves.
What really made this trip amazing was the food and the staff - the fish dishes that our cook managed to cook in a sandpit on the boat still amaze me. I haven't had fish that good in years! And the one day that we had some stormy weather they saved me from losing toes and fingers from cold by keeping the cooking fire going as we traversed the water between the islands and the mainland. The only thing I would do differently if I did this trip again would be to bring a wetsuit top so I could have stayed in the water longer while snorkeling (and not frozen half to death on the journey back). That being said, I would sign up for this trip again tomorrow. Thanks again Sailaway for an amazing trip!

Visited May 2013

United kingdom cheshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Excellent, attentive staff keen to please”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We enjoyed a one day dhow trip to margaruque island. The three staff were really great and went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our day. Dumas (I think), was particularly entertaining, and very knowledgeable about the area and pointed out places of interest. Lunch was excellent cooked by another member of the crew on board and then brought to the beach for us. They kept an eye to all those snorkelling to ensure their safety and encouraged me to get back on the boat to see the fish (I don't snorkel) and gave me some left over rice to feed the fish.
We took our own wine and beer and would recommend you take additional drinks, although I am a bit fussy. A really great day and our thanks go to the crew.

Visited September 2013
DaveSailaway, Owner at Sailaway Dhow Safaris, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Hi Kascrofton
Thanks for your positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Best regards from the Sailaway crew.
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Unforgettable experience...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Sailaway's dhow safaris are what you make of them. I remember being told by the guide Roger to go and climb the sand dunes on Bazaruto and thinking "Why? It's just a pile of sand." Then we got to top of the dune and this absolutely stunning view of the ocean in every shade of blues, greens, turquoise, aquamarines, whatever opened up in front of us. Then I thought, "Oh, that's why."

Anyway, Roger, Matteo and Matemba looked after us very well, stayed calm when the seas got choppy so we stayed calm too, and (I can't figure this bit out) fed us basic but tasty meals cooked over an open fire INSIDE the boat.

We camped for one evening at Chigamane, and even though there was only 2 of us they built a campfire and we ate our dinner around it. I had expected to rough it somewhat, and was pleasantly surprised to be able to have a hot shower the next morning thanks to a solar panel that looked recently installed.

Absolutely no regrets!

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dhow/Catamaran Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We were the guinea pigs who were the first to try out the 3 day / 2 night trip staying on the catamaran and travelling on the dhow. We absolutely loved it, weather does make a difference and we did have perfect weather. Miguel, Alfredo and Duma were an excellent crew who sailed the dhow brillantly, the food cooked by Alfredo was just amazing, the things he could cook on the fire pit at the back of the boat was great. But lets not forget Miguel and Duma who took us to the right places at the right tide and time to make the most of our trip. Norman was great company and supplied a beautiful catamaran for us to mellow on and have a great nights sleep and hot shower....all up a great experience

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Brilliant two days on a dhow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

The circumstances we set off in weren't the most prepossessing, LAM (the airline) having failed to load any luggage onto the aircraft leaving us to head off on the dhow with what we'd travelled in from London and a change of (second hand) clothes bargained for at the market the evening before! But we had a great time.

There were a few moments when the size of the dhow compared to the waves in the sea seemed unequal but we made it to Benguerra without incident. They even have a cooking fire onboard for welcome cups of tea and coffee. While we walked around the island - beautiful - our excellent crew made an amazing lunch of grilled marinated fish and salad. The snorkelling was great (even for two wimpy snorkellers).

We stayed at the campsite that night, made more comical by our having no luggage and the fact that I pretty much never camp (hence my reviewing name). I was glad to make the exception - sitting round the campfire eating chicken marinaded in spices and drinking red wine was a pleasure. Rogerico, our guide for the trip, told us about Mozambique's civil war and the current political situation - answering all our stupid questions (we didn't know a huge amount about Mozambique in advance, I confess).

Day two saw a trip to Bazaruto. That was a long, cold journey (Mozambiquan winter and the sun didn't break through till midday). When Rogerico told us we were to jump off the boat into the roiling open sea to snorkel on two mile reef, first we were disbelieving, then very very reluctant. It was only when he leapt in that we realised we'd better get off the boat. It was well worth it, and he pointed out the best fish and was tolerant of our need for rests by the boat. Then thankfully the sun showed up, and we headed to the island for a long walk up the enormous dunes and the most beautiful views I have seen. We then had another tasty boat lunch - kingfish and salad, before the journey back.

Our crew were lovely and made us feel very welcome and at home without being in the slightest intrusive. And hats off to our chef for cooking great food on a small wooden boat!

Visited August 2013
DaveSailaway, Owner at Sailaway Dhow Safaris, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Ihatecamping
Thanks for your time and lovely feedback on your trip with us. Your crew - Captain Matteus, Chef Manuel and Guide Rogerio also say thanks to you too for travelling with us.
Best regards