Mushroom Lodge
US$303
InterContinental
  • Pool
Hotels.com
All reviewslarge bathroomthe riverexcellent guidemarisalodgezebrabuffaloanimalsparkliongamedrive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Once again Mushroom Lodge excelled all expectation , I can not praise this Lodge enough and have already booked again for 2013 .The management and staff are 5star as is the accomodation . I saw 10 leopards this year with the expert help of the excellent guide , South Luangwa is just the best place and Mushroom Lodge can not be beaten on making you feel special every minute you are there .
Thank-you and see you next year for yet another wonderful experience .

Room Tip: All accomodation is excellent
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NorfolkEnglandSafari
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We had stayed here for 3 nights in Oct '12. We had a comfortable stay. We are vegetarians and the staff took care that we are given special food without even eggs in it.We had a very good guide that at the end of 3 nights we have acquired immense knowledge on the fauna and flora of SLNP.
We were able to see a lot of animals from our room as there is a lagoon nearby and animals are always coming there to drink water!

Room Tip: Do ask for an extra fan as it was very very hot in the room !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vgkish
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We love Mushroom Lodge! We are CPC, a large Minneapolis church, and have taken 3 groups there within the year and sent a Zambian Pastor and his wife to the Lodge for some well deserved R&R! Louise Ndhlovu and her staff are amazing! Our safaris were successful and a once-in-a-lifetime experience! The drivers know just where to go to find the animals! Right after we arrived in Mfuwe we took the 30 minute drive in open air jeeps to our lodge. The sights were beautiful, we even saw elephants and hippos on our drive in (this is even before safari). Our lodge was GORGEOUS! Ornate decorations, plush beds, working showers! I will say, we didn’t take any of the luxuries for granted. This was evidenced by our reaction to our first meal, delicate tilapia, fried potatoes, rich vegetables and even dessert, the whole crew was exclaiming mmmmms and awwws that echoed through the savannah. We felt blessed and lucky.

Every morning from 6am-10am and every night from 4pm-8pm we would pack into our jeeps, bundle up under blankets and widen our eyes to take in the sights. We saw so many new animals: elephants, giraffes, cape buffalo, jennets, leopards, hippos, lions, and more! It was like the animals didn’t mind us being in their environment, as we got very close! We spent luxurious afternoons taking in the view, relaxing by the pool, reading or playing games.

One of the best parts was when the staff put together a lovely bonfire for us out on the African plain. With the landscape of a river filled with hippos and curious impala checking us out, we sat around a bonfire and ate chips, salsa, chicken wings and nuts. It was a wonderful surprise and it gave us the opportunity to reflect on how much we have bonded on this trip.

We would highly recommend Mushroom Lodge for anyone visiting the South Luangwa in Zambia!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This is one of the rare events when you book a hotel/lodge based on other people's opinions, and it is not a chain, so it could be a perfect one-off, or the worst one-off. The price per night per person is not cheap, so understandable I was wary of what can be offered in one short period to justify such lodgings in the middle of the National Park in Zambia.
The road to the park will probably be a good reminder of the economic woes - but once you get into the South Luangwa National Park (you will see a guarded crossing, and my fee was included into the lodge price, but double-check in advance), you know you are now part of Mother Nature's Own.
All the bungalows (there are 6 or so) were empty, so I was the only person there - and I was fearing the worst - but it was for the best. The staff was fantastic, extremely circumspect, polite and attentive. Unlike the chains where strict hours of check-in and obligatory check-out are observed scrupulously, at this lodge I was welcome at 10am and was allowed to stay until the afternoon of the next day. And not just stay - I was fed and entertained non-stop.
You will see from the pictures that the lodge is situated along the river that was dry when I was there, but the animals were aplenty. There was a hippo outside my doors, elephants, impalas and baboons. Sometimes they came very close, sometimes they were farther apart. There were no glass windows, only double or triple mesh to prevent insects from flying in - which also meant that all the sounds of all the animals were heard perfectly!
The food was very good - on a saltier side, but you can ask in advance what your preferences are (and you will be asked at the booking time, as well as the arrival time). It is all-inclusive. The refrigerator in the room contained soft drinks, there was a kettle with tea bags and instant coffee. The shower and the bathtub were located in a spacious bathroom - I had a gecco and a little frog as visitors but waving a towel at them made them disappear. Bed linen were of very good quality, with mosquito nets around both beds. Check for holes and spray generously anti-mosquito remedy of your choice. I did not hear any buzzing at any time, but then I was covered by so many chemicals :)
The price included both evening and morning safari - AMAZING. I was the only passenger in the Land Rover, so there were no distractions of any sort. My safari guide managed to show me everything - lions, zebras, giraffes, elephants, warthogs, impalas, kudus, baboons, hippos, herons and other birds.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank heyValera
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I could not fault this place.

It is set in a lovely part of the National Park. The rooms are lovely, the pool is at a perfect temp, food was fantastic and the staff were lovely.

When we went on the game drives we told the drivers what we wanted to see. They made sure we saw everything on our list before we went home.

We went out to see a leopard (they are very rare to see because they are fantastic at camouflage.) The last night we went we saw three. One jumping out a tree (2 second view) then I saw a huge figure at night in the trees which was a huge leopard (also only saw for a couple of seconds.) Then the last one we saw was hunting we sat there and watched it for a while then it layed down almost just for us to take a photo.

From the restaurant you will see elephants grazing on the plans. The elephants went through the hotel to the back of the restaurant to eat the food out of the bins (re photo)

I must warn you, your in a national perk and you need to be aware that they are wild animals even if they look harmless they can do a lot of damage. Listen to you guides and at night make sure a guard takes you to and from your room.

Food was fantastic its inclusive and in Zambia its usually hard for places to accommodate for gluten free but they were fantastic. We were never hungry.

I will be taking some more of my family when they come to Zambia to visit me. Its a must in Zambia.

You could go with friends family or your loved one!

HOW TO GET THERE: You can drive which is what we did 8 hours to Chipata stayed the night then 3 hours across to the Park. The road to the park is being renewed and within the year it will only take 1 - 1.5 hours to get there. Or you could fly to Mfuwe and they will arrange a pick up.

We drove cos I have friends in Chipata to see its a great drive though it is long and I will fly next time. If you book flight in advance they will be a cheap price.

Please if you have any questions don't hesitate in sending me a message would love to help re anything Zambia!

Room Tip: All rooms have fantastic views of the dried up river where us will see elephants, buffalo and impala
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family