All reviews lower zambezi game drives the river canoe trip old mondoro the managers dry river bed keep coming back ground hornbills hippos snorting mighty zambezi attention to detail indoor and outdoor showers surprise lunch lion sightings sabi sands activities manager
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

We recently stayed there for 3 nights and I can honestly say it was some of the best times we have had. The staff made us feel like family and the guides were all extremely knowledgeable. It is a unique place where you can go on game drives as well as canoe and river safari's. A truly memorable experience!

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2016

We recently completed an amazing four day stay at Chiawa. We were traveling with ten other people and had a truly wonderful experience. The setting on the Zambezi river is quite beautiful and wildlife frequent the camp. The meals surpass those we had at other camps during our safari, but what made our experience so memorable was the people. Ashley, Tara, Shelly and Jake have assembled an extraordinary team. The staff went out of their way to make sure our first trip to Africa was one we would not forget. The guides took the time to educate us on the African ecosystem and canoeing on a guided trip on the Zambezi was quite amazing. This is a special place with special people. Highest recommendation.

Room tip: Hard to go wrong - all rooms provide the opportunity to see wildlife from their decks.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2016

The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. We could view elephant, hippos, baboons and various other animals out our back window. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating and the camp was very well managed. The game drives were magical with great guides. We saw leopard and lion every day of our four day stay. The food was also very plentiful and delicious. We dined in a couple of surprise locations which was very fun for our family. My husband and sons enjoyed catch and release fishing on the Zambezi. My youngest son was very excited to catch a 30 pound catfish.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I stayed at Chiawa for 2 nights in June and I absolutely loved it. The managers, Ash & Tara and the Asst Managers Jake & Shelly were incredible. Loved them to bits!!!

The guides were exceptional in their animal tracking skills and at the same time they were delightful company. Enjoyed my chats with them.

Both at Chiawa & Old Mondoro, be prepared to put on a few pounds as the food was Yum-O!!!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

This was our second visit to Chiawa. Our first visit was four years ago, and it's hard to believe that they could improve upon anything, but they have. The first sight of Chiawa as you arrive by the river is one of the most beautiful imaginable. We were greeted at the dock by Daniel and Tara. We were especially glad to see Daniel again. He was one of our guides when we were at Chiawa four years ago and is one of the best guides we have ever had. We were thrilled to learn that he is now the Activities Manager. He's still a great guide, and all of the activities are wonderful.

We spent 4 nights at Chiawa, so we had enough time to participate in every activity. The staff works really hard to make sure that all of the guests have this opportunity. The game drives were great. The guides are all incredibly knowledgable. We went out with three different guides, and they were all terrific (Daniel, Wallace, and Boaz). Daniel went out of his way to make sure that I didn't miss the chance to join a group that was going to view a leopard and her cubs. Thank you Daniel!

I particularly enjoyed the canoe trips. I was able to go out twice. The canoe trips are incredibly peaceful. Seeing the animals coming down to the channel to drink and relax in the late afternoon was magical. I was lucky enough to be in a canoe with Brown who made both excursions really memorable.

My husband went out fishing twice, once with James and once with Derrick. They are both real experts at locating the fish and getting the guests set up for success. My husband caught a tiger fish and a 28 pound vundu.

Everything about Chiawa is wonderful. The service is impeccable and very personal and friendly. The hosts Tara and Ash were really great to talk to. They have so much experience from other areas that they are willing to share.

The food was fantastic. I really liked that they would allow you to choose half portions of more than one dinner entree so you could try everything. It's almost impossible to choose between them.

The facilities and decor are all just incredible and so inviting. I stayed in one morning just to savor it all. It was great to just watch the monkeys playing in the trees next to the main lounge area and to read a book by the pool overlooking the Zambezi. Be sure to stay here long enough to do this, or else just plan on coming back. There's a reason you see so many comments from repeat visitors. It's a really special place. Thank you to everyone at Chiawa.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple