“An oasis in a beautiful city”

Dona Urraca Hotel & Spa
Ranked #39 of 94 Hotels in Queretaro City
Adelaide, Australia
“An oasis in a beautiful city”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Our four night stay was a highlight of our time in Mexico. The restaurant food and service was excellent, our suite fantastic and the grounds of the hotel wonderful. The spa treatments were great and very well priced. And being situated in the city centre, it's easy to venture out to sites and restaurants. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington DC
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We made a reservation for two nights which was supposed to be a package, which included in addition to the rooms, two Urraca brekafasts plus a massage, we paid in total around MXN6,500 MXN. When we got to the hotel, we got vouchers and one of them was for an American breakfast instead of the Urraca breakfast, we did not complain at that moment because we were going to have the massage after one of the breakfasts and we did not want to have anything heavy (Urraca brekafast included Salmon), but in any case I had been charged two Urraca breakfasts.

On the second night, one person arrived and asked for the price of a room and it was 1,800 MXN, around 700 less than what we paid on average for each room excluding the massage.

On the day of the massage, it included a cup of moka cappuccino which they never took to the room, of course they did not deduct this from the final bill.

The room we stayed at is nice, but the bed is very hard, almost like sleeping on the floor, and after you wake up you end up with a back ache. The worst part, is that it is very noisy, from early in the morning you hear people who are having breakfast or when people walk down the hallway, the noise comes into the rooms very easily.

Staff at the Spa is nice, that was the best part of the hotel, the valet parking staff was good as well, the reception staff and the restaurant staff were well below average. Taking into account the cost of living of a city like Queretaro, this hotel is extremely overpriced and it is not worth what you pay.

Room Tip: If you want a boutique hotel, look for another.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ninguno42
San Diego
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This hotel is beautiful, with air conditioning and a big pool. The air conditioning in Queretaro is very important because starting in March it gets in the 90's!
We stayed in a Junior Suite. It was very clean and big. Excellent for a family of 4. The maids are very polite but not the people at the front desk. They were rude to us when we asked them for maps and restaurants in the area. They did not want to be bothered.
The restaurant at this hotel was almost always empty the days we were there, probably because it was expensive and the service VERY slow. My husband, daughter and I had dinner there once but it took them over one hour to serve us, and we did not order anything special and they did not apologize for the wait either.
The last night we stayed at this hotel someone opened the trunk of our car and stole one of our suitcases. I parked the car myself in their parking lot but they did not like me doing that because they have valet parking. But when I rent a car in Mexico I always park it myself because car rental companies in Mexico charge you for any scraches in the car.
Well, it was our last night and most the stuff in the suitcase was dirty clothes but they also took suits and dresses that we wore at a wedding that weekend. The manager Eduardo Ortiz Gonzales told me that he was going to check the camaras at the parking lot and let me know what he finds out. I gave him my email address. This happened in April and I am still waiting for him to contact me.

Room Tip: Ask for the Suite with a the Sofa
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MexicanSanDiego
Reviewed 13 June 2010

As a weekend getaway from San Miguel de Allende (where we live), we recently spent a night at the Hotel Dona Urraca so we could enjoy the nightlife of Queretaro's Centro Historico. They were offering a special rate for June 2010, and we paid around $130 USD for a Junior Suite, but were upgraded to a larger room, which was one of the most beautiful hotel rooms we've experienced in Mexico! Spacious, very light and airy, view into the central garden, attended by very gracious staff. The hotel is lovely, with fine details of tumbled marble floors, white-washed beam ceilings, skylights, folkart, nice tilework and a lovely garden area with pool. We also had a wonderful full breakfast with eggs, chilequiles, fresh juice, sweet rolls...and the total bill, when we checked out, after an overnight stay, valet parking for our car, drinks in the charming bar, plus the breakfast and taxes, was $190 USD for everything. For such an upscale, luxury experience, we felt it was well worth it...plus the hotel is located just 2 blocks from the Plaza de Armas, so once you are checked in, you can walk everywhere in the Centro Historico.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I have never stayed at a nicer place, ever. The room was like a roman spa, elegant, much nicer than expected. I thought the $300-400/ night rooms in the area were nice, but this was just as nice at $150/night or less. We loved it. The pool was small by photo, but just right in real life. The hot tub was great, food was excellent, staff was kind, wow!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Padova
Reviewed 25 April 2008

The place is really nice (but expensive). Only problem I left the car to the personnel of valet parking service and I got the gas stolen (3/4 of tank).

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank mazor
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2008

My daughter and I stayed here December 28, 2007-January 2, 2008.

Our introduction to the staff was the bellman saving my laptop.

We arrived late in the evening. It was dark in the street. Unloading the taxi my laptop in its black leather case was accidentally overlooked in the trunk. The cab pulled away before I inventoried the bags on the cart. Seeing the laptop was missing, I mentioned it to the bellman who took off like a shot! Fortunately the street was crowded with traffic, so he was able to catch up to the cab a couple of blocks down the street. He returned with the laptop, beaming.

The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished, the baths large and clean. The pool is very nice--it was warm enough during the day to lounge beside it in swim suits.

My daughter had a 2 1/2 hour spa session, and enthused about it for the rest of our stay.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of fruits, baked goods and eggs to order. Hand made tortillas were available on request. My only complaint--true of many other upscale venues in Mexico--was the near impossibility of getting hot peppers in my huevos a la Mexicana!

Queretaro is a beautiful city, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The people are friendly, there are plenty of good restaurants, and the New Years celebration attracts people from all over Mexico.

My daughter had a case to prosecute on the morning of Jan 2 back in Texas. The only flight was at 6:15 AM on Jan 1. She arranged with the English speaking young woman at the desk for a taxi. The price quoted seemed outrageously expensive, but it was the only choice--and it was early in the morning of New Year's Day. I was asked for cash in advance. The hotel vouched for the chauffeur.

At 1:30 AM the taxi arrived as arranged. It seemed ridiculously early for a half-hour trip to the airport, but again it was the only choice. After bidding my daughter goodbye (I was going on to Yucatan) I sat in my room for while catching up with my e-mail--fairly good Wi-Fi.

A half hour later the phone rang. It was the cab driver. He spoke little English, my daughter little Spanish. Fortunately my Spanish is serviceable. After talking to the cab driver for a few minutes, the confusion came to light. He thought he was taking her to the Mexico City airport, 120 miles away!

When my daughter and the cab driver got back to the hotel, they called me and I went to the desk where the night manager was on the phone to the general manager.

After a fairly long conversation, which the night manager knew i could follow, he turned to me. "This confusion is our fault. We misunderstood your daughter's request. We will return all your money, but the cab driver has already spent $25 for gasoline and food. We will return the $25 to you in the morning. Since we have caused you all this trouble, we will pay for your daughter's fare to the Queretaro airport. Please accept our apologies."

I replied that he was "muy amable" and went back to bed. Next morning there was no mention of the $25, but I said nothing.

When I checked out at 5 AM on Jan 2, I was walking away from the desk when the young woman said, "Please wait, sir, we owe you $25!"

I thanked her for the money and got in the cab. At the airport I asked the driver how much I owed him. He told me the hotel had taken care of it.

For Mexico this is an expensive hotel. But its accommodations, spa and staff are top notch. They represent the best of the great Mexican spirit of hospitality that I have experienced over more than 50 years of frequent travel to the country.

RNJ

• Liked — Staff and accommodations
  • Disliked — Slow Internet access at times
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rnjernigan