“No reason to avoid staying here, but no reason to come back”

Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Boston, Massachusetts
“No reason to avoid staying here, but no reason to come back”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had an adequate stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Elmira/Corning. As others have noted, it is nicely located just off the highway near a shopping mall and just about every chain restaurant in existence.

The facility has two big pluses First, the lobby and public areas are very bright, open and welcoming. I was impressed by the cleanliness of the fitness room and the fact that everything was working (you can't say that about many hotels, at least the ones I stay in). Second, the front desk staff was welcoming and efficient, and responded to a request very quickly.

There are downsides - as noted by others, the soundproofing is very bad, if non-existent. We could hear the television in the room next door, not to mention hair dryers and showers running. Also, the HVAC system ran on very short cycles, and was very noisy. In order to hear the television, you had to turn it way up, which caused more noise once the HVAC cycled off. Given the soundproofing issue mentioned above, this made the noise problem that much worse.

In general I like Hilton Garden Inn's over Hampton Inn's because the rooms seem larger and brighter (whether they actually are or not I do not know). The room here, however, seemed dark and a little bit small - perhaps the size was an illusion brought on by the darkness. That being said, we had two very pleasant nights of sleep.

This hotel just didn't grab me - next time I'm in the area I will probably try the Hampton next door.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HGI_Elmira_Corning, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and cleanliness of the property. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service that exceeds our guest expectations. I do apologize about the noise. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly to discuss in detail. We hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First off I am a gold Hilton member, with over 400K points. I have stayed at many hilton properties around the country. I have been to this particular property approximately five times over the years. Upon check in at 8:00 P.M. were were greeted by Natalie who was great. She quickly checked us in, and was very helpful, and accommodating. She was also of assistance later on during our visit as we stayed 3 nights this time. Nice job Natalie.
The first night our room 324 was above an air conditionaing unit. So the following morning I wanted to change our room, and I explained the reason why to Malinda (who works the front desk-days did) she told me I don't have much available on that floor right now but I do have a room near the elevator, so I decided to take it. However, she forgot to mention and I didn't realize that the ice machine and vending machine are also near the elevators.. Those Ice machines can be loud, so I happened to mention this to the housekeeping staff Betty. Who was extremely helpful and immediately took charge. She went downstairs to find me a room farther down the hall which was extremely quiet. She went totally out of her way above and beyond!!. Shirley who works in housekeeing was so very helpful. If it was not for Betty, most likely I would have been stuck with the room by the elevators which was partly my fault! However how could Betty in housekeeping find me a room more more quiet, when just 15 minutes earlier Malinda who works the front desk could not. Thank you Betty and Shirley. Also, as usual, all the rooms were spotless,and smelled clean! After B'fest in the morning as I was passing the front desk I happen to say in passing to Amanda who also works the front desk days if she had any upgrades for that night. I'm a gold member, so it never hurts to ask right.. She told me no, and rolled her eyes as I was passing her. Totally not the type of image Hilton wants to project I don't think. On another occassion I asker her something else. I felt that I was bothering this woman when I asked her something. Unpleasant people don't belong on the front desk. Just a comment! Overall, the place was great. The servers who worked the B'fest were great as usual.. I wish I remembered the names. Job well done to them, especially since it was a very hectic Sunday with a local college having graduation, and everyone coming at the same time to eat, and all in a hurry. They handled it extremely well. Thank you. Overall, a very pleasant stay except for the two above individuals who work the front desk days. I will be back.

Room Tip: 304. very quiet.
1 Thank Paul L
Thank you for the awesome & fantastic review! Your words are warm and heartfelt and have been passed along to our staff as well as Betty and Shirley who took such great care of you. I assure you customer service is our top priority here at the Hilton Garden Inn and we are addressing your concerns. We appreciate your return business and strive to make each and every stay fantastic. Each of us is happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us, as we have enjoyed having you staying. Each and every guest is like family here at our Hilton Garden Inn and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area.
Oneonta, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I felt home away from home while staying at this location. It's close to the local mall where there's great shopping and it's also close to great restaurants. The design of the lobby area is wonderful and all of the staff were courteous. Although this location is near the shopping mall and restaurants, it's tucked away in just the right corner where there's almost no traffic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are always happy to hear about a wonderful stay. I have shared your wonderful review with our entire staff. We look forward to seeing you when you return to the area!
Purcellville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I and our 2 year old stayed here and it was a great stay. They had a crib set up for us when we arrived, the breakfast staff were great (even with an energetic 2 year old!), and the rooms were quiet and very clean and nice. Great stay for families, travelers, couples, or anyone!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your fantastic review! I have passed along your comments to our staff and we are excited that we could make your stay perfect! We hope to see you on your next visit to the area.
horseheads, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

great fresh smell, no perfume smell. Very clean, only thing missing is free breakfast. Good breakfast Bar for $11(includes drinks,omlets,pancakes,waffles,fruit,yogurt,home fries,bacon,sausage,pastries &cereal)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for the awesome review! We are excited that you enjoyed our hotel and we have passed along your wonderful comments to our staff members. We look forward to seeing you when you return to the area!
Memphis, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2014

quiet. clean well appointed room. wonderful staff and - again great breakfast! lobby presentation very very welcoming. cookies in the evening ...just like mom would have done - overlall a great experience

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for the awesome & fantastic review! Your words are warm and heartfelt and have been passed along to our staff. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and the amazing cookies! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Horseheads area!
Holliston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel and several others close by are about 1/2 hour from Ithaca, New York. We stayed here, as the Ithaca Hotels were expensive and most sold out due to college graduations for Ithaca College and Cornell. It has incredibly easy access to highways and lots of free parking. It is near a mall, many chains such as Friendly's, Dennys, Olive Garden, etc. (no great restaurants but convenient and reasonable for everyday). The hotel offers breakfast, but you must buy the buffet for $10.95, which is a limited choice, so local restaurants are within 5-10 minutes. Free coffee/tea most of the morning in lobby, and iced lemon water all day. There is a pool, but we didn't use it. We headed to Ithaca, lovely ride with lots of farms, countryside, green, lots of restaurants, theatre (went to several performances at the Kitchen Theatre, highly recommend). We chose a mini-suite; very roomy, two rooms, 2 TV's, couch (pull out), chairs and tables. Very quiet and comfortable; maid service superb. Front desk friendly. No problems with registration or check out Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Only stayed at the mini-suite, 4th floor, which was perfect for two people, without feeling stuck in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horseheads
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Courtyard Elmira Horseheads
Courtyard Elmira Horseheads
#6 of 11 in Horseheads
Radisson Hotel Corning
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads
Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning? Share your experiences!