“Elmira College close.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
“Elmira College close.”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Very clean quiet hotel. Wonderfyul breakfast and friendly staff. Only downside is elevator at one end away from desk and breakfast area so it entails walking the length and back once you get to your room. My hubby is on oxygen so it is an issue. We will solve it next time by asking for a first floor room on the handicap parking side. It was 15min from the college going down rt 14 probably the same if you get on 17 and exit at Elmira 2 down. If you come from the West exit 51a as there is none at b from the west and n o a coming from the east. We were there to bring things for the granddaughter moving in at the college and returning grandson to daughter. We will use this often as we will pick up grand for Oct long weekend and for Thanksgiving. only adds an hour to our trip so can be done in one day but we will stay over.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Deb_GMHorseheads, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you so very much for your valued comments about the Country Inn and Suites in Horseheads, New York. It is always our goal and pleasure to see our guests satisfied with their entire stay. The staff and management look forward to seeing you next time you come to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had booked a standard room and received my confirmation email with an upgrade eligibility option. We selected the option to be upgraded to a suite (if available upon check in). To my surprise, we received my upgrade to a king room suite for a very small upgrade fee. The room was so cozy; it made me feel like we were in our own bedroom. It had a separate living room and bedroom area (divided by French doors). The living room had a ceiling fan (we have never been in a hotel that had one; which probably added to the coziness). It is conveniently located off the highway but yet there was no traffic noise in the rooms. The back of the hotel has a pond with picnic tables and a BBQ grill. The grill is nice; it can save families a couple bucks by grilling instead of going out to eat. The pool isn’t huge but is nice sized with a separate hot tub. The pool and gym area were very clean as well as the rest of the hotel. The only negative about this place is the front entrance doors are not automatic doors so if you have more than one bag or are using the luggage cart, you will struggle a little with holding the door open while bringing in your luggage (or hopefully someone will be there to hold the door open for you). Overall we enjoyed our stay and if we are ever in the area again we will defiantly enjoy my stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
We at the Country Inn and Suites would like to that you for the wonderful review. We believe great customer service keeps are loyal customers coming back, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next visit to the area. Thanks again for letting us know how we did during your recent stay.
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Good hotel. I have been staying here for the past 4 years. Location is right off the highway with a couple restaurants right next door/across the street. Prices the best in Elmira. Not actually in Elmira. Close to retail plazas.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
I would like to thank you very much for your continued loyalty to the Country Inn and Suites during your travels to our area. We enjoy doing the little extras for our guests to ensure that they feel welcomed an comfortable during your stay. Thank you again for the great review and recommending us to others.
ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed here as our base for visiting the southern Finger Lakes region. It was pretty much central to where we wanted to go and close enough to Watkins Glen, where we went a number of times. Loved our room, French doors divided the king bed from the sofa bed, and the 2 TVs were a godsend to this family who half fall asleep to a TV and the other half wants silence. Housekeeping was wonderful, I think this is the first time we ever got a thank you for the tip we left (thanks, JoJo, you were awesome). It's close to many restaurants (including a late night McD's close by). The one drawback to this hotel was that it is close to an airport and we did a couple of times hear some late night planes, but other than that, I would definitely recommend this staying here.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This hotel was great. After driving over 800 miles with my 3 kids we arrived here. I promised my kids a pool with a hot tub. The girl at the front desk, Chanel, was very pleasant, and had a quirky sense of humor which was much appreciated. The room was clean, the pool was perfect for kids, (steps, then 3 ft, to around 5 ft.) I would recommended this hotel to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This hotel is very clean. The staff are so helping and always smiling, although they are extremely busy. Great location for shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've stayed at several Country Inn & Suites over the last few months and received good quality and great value. This was the worst experience of the CI&S group by far and one of my more disappointing hotel stays in years. I travel about 100 nights per year for the past 20 years. I am a Club Carlson member. Upon check-in, we were informed the king bed I had reserved for my wife and I was unavailable. I did receive a "lesson" from the young clerk that internet reservations are not guaranteed for room type, only if your call the 800# and I clearly blew it by not calling the 800#. I'm sure the folks who run the CI&S website will be happy to hear that. The hotel has both nonsmoking and smoking rooms in close proximity to one another (including side by side). It is possible to be in a nonsmoking room as we were, but have tobacco smell coming in -- we did. Not fun. We returned to our room at 9PM the second day to find it had not been cleaned. We called down to the front desk and learned there was no recourse other that a couple clean towels. Upon checking out in the AM, the evening clerk had made a note in our record that our room had not been cleaned. I too mentioned this only to have the clerk insist that we must somehow of had the do not disturb sign out. We did not. She was nonplussed. Totally insincere on her part and a bit snarky to boot. When asked if a modest discount might be offered on the 169.99 rate, she told us that staff cannot make any changes whatsoever. So, to sum up, good location, no room type guaranteed, tobacco smell comes into nonsmoking room, unclean room, staff that are not empowered to aid guests, but at least it was the most expensive CI&S night of all I have ever purchased. With three newer hotels within eyesight of this hotel and travel taking me to Elmira again in the future, one can guess I'll never be laying eyes on the Country Inn & Suites Big Flats again.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, definitely ask to be on the side away from the highway