“Great for the price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Horseheads
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Another nice Country Inn & Suites. Stayed while in the area for a race at Watkins Glen. The room was clean and all systems worked - HVAC, TV's, etc. The rooms are a little different than other CI&S I have stayed at. Arranged like a suite, with the bedroom separated from the "living room". Both rooms had nice flat screen TV's I will stay here again next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Upper floor on the north side - away from the interstate hwy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert L
Deb N, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing on your next visit to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
Fredonia, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is fine...nothing special but friendly staff and well kept. The pool is now almost useless. They removed their hot tub and for some reason think that keeping the pool super hot will make up for that. Huh?? I've asked twice and they have told me they would lower the temp but nothing has been done. I've seen kids get in and get out quickly due to the heat. It seems nice when you enter the water, but the temp is far too high to exercise, move around, etc. other than that, the hotel is fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NRF2442
Deb N, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 28 June 2014
I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. My staff and I have reviewed your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve the issue with our pool being to warm. Again we are terribly sorry about the pool during your most recent stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.
Ellijay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

After having checked out every hotel in the Finger Lakes area we settled on this one. Rates were reasonable for this over priced area. The minute we walked in the door we could tell we had made the right choice. A smiling front desk attendant,fruit and cookies, tea and coffee awaited us. The location was easy on, easy off and close to some shopping and several restaurants. The room smelled and looked clean, and we were not washing our mirrors as my wife does in so many places! In the morning the housekeeping staff was not banging around in the hallways at 8 AM; in fact, we left a while after the breakfast hour ended and still the hotel was pleasantly quiet. The breakfast was certainly very adequate and there was still a good selection of food items when breakfast ended. That tacky ever-present tip jar was nowhere in sight, and to me this says a lot about a place. If you choose this hotel you cannot go wrong!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steven M
Deb N, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. It is alsway nice to hear from our valued guests and are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit to the area and our hotel. Again, we that you vey much.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a super clean, very nice hotel; deserving 5 stars. The one problem: difficulty in making reservations. We made reservations directly through the hotel in April for our May 30th stay.
My husband gave a credit card number, and received a confirmation number over the phone. No email confirmation was received. I tried to call the hotel May 29th, and no one answered the phone. I called the main website for Country Inn and Suites. They asked for the confirmation number. They said that it was invalid. They asked for my name, and they said that it showed a reservation, but that no credit card information had been given; therefore it was not a "guaranteed reservation." I told the person that a credit card # had been given, but I gave him the credit card # again. I was given a confirmation # and I requested an email confirmation to back it up. I had never had to ask for a printable confirmation before when going to a hotel. I waited to receive the email; while I did that my husband tried to reach the hotel directly by phone again. Finally, someone answered, and he explained the problems we were having. Suddenly, my email "popped up."
We arrived May 30th, at a very welcoming front lobby. But no people at the desk. No bell to ring for service. We expressed our feelings about the difficulty with the reservations, and also our inability to contact the hotel by phone. We were told that they had been having "computer problems." We also were informed that the hotel gives out one kind of confirmation #, and the main website gives out different kinds of confirmation #'s; and neither source recognizes the others confirmation #'s. I have NEVER heard of this before.
Did we like the hotel? YES. Was it super clean and quiet? YES Was the complimentary breakfast good? YES Will we ever go to Country Inn and Suites again? Not likely. It isn't worth the aggravation we went through in making reservations. Also, I believe that there should be someone at the front desk to greet you as you arrive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review. We greatly appreciate your recognition of our friendly staff and posted a copy for the entire staff. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future. Have a great day, and again we thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days because all hotels closer to Ithaca were booked for Parents Weekend. This is a nice and clean option. Drive is about a half hour to Ithaca. Rooms and general areas were clean. Breakfast was standard but good. Did not try the pool. There are good local restaurants, a small mall next door and even a craft brewery nearby. I would stay jere again if I couldn't get closer to Ithaca.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GOLFNut T
Thank you for the fantastic review and wonderful comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your most recent stay. The entire staff looks forward to your next stay. Thanks again for the wonderful comments.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent just one night here while on the way to Niagara. It was a comfortable stay and everyone in our party liked the hotel and the place after coming from NYC.
The green view outside the room windows was very soothing.
The hotel is quite near to a lot of stores and restaurant as well as just 15 minutes from Corning glass museum. I was glad to find a Starbucks in nearby Target on my way ahead next morning.
The breakfast spread was okay. We had no complaints there.
I liked the cozy feel of the front lobby with fireplace and wooden stairs.
The staff was friendly and helpful as well.

Only thing that must be improved was the shower in bath. It almost didn't have any pressure and didn't have any adjustments.

Room Tip: All the rooms have got great views of lush green grounds and mountains.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Prafulla_Mujumdar
Vince G, Regional Director of Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We are delighted that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and thank you for the wonderful feedback. It is wonderful to hear from our valued customers. We greatly appreciate your recognition and we are happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Horseheads area.
Indiana, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from a weekend couples "wine-tasting" getaway to the Finger Lake region of NY and stayed at this hotel. It was extremely affordable (less than $100/night, including taxes - for KING suite rooms), clean rooms, nice set-up in the King Suites, a lot of nice restaurants within a short distance, free breakfast, beds were comfortable, and close to Cayuga Lake - which is the lake we were touring. The pool looked nice, but since we didn't have any kids along, we didn't swim. We did hang out for hours in the evening on the hotel's front porch, the weather was perfect for that. The lady at the front desk was extremely helpful & friendly when we asked for some pizza recommendations in the area that would deliver for our large group. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Deb N, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira), responded to this review, 16 May 2014