In looking for a good place to stay near Watkins Glen, we found a spot at the Holiday Inn Express Horseheads. I have no idea how this town received its name, but I want to learn more.
The hotel was in line with the travel time we allowed for our stay, and rooms appeared clean, well-appointed and spacious. One deterrent to our stay was the scent of cigarette smoke on what should have been a non-smoking floor. Not a deal-breaker, but not a good thing, either.
The faucet in the bathroom sink ran loudly no matter how much water ran from it, and the shower head perched very low on the wall, requiring people over 5'10" to duck to to use it. We are that kind of people. The bathroom had a very low ceiling, not in line with the rest of the room, and was cramped and not well-planned from the outset.
Highway noise kept my husband from sleeping well at all, and he insists that 18-wheelers jake-braked all night long and stopped at sunrise. I had trouble finding a comfortable spot on the firm bed. I don't usually have trouble sleeping, so a night of little or less sleep makes a great difference to me.
Clean, good sleeping area, small and difficult bathroom. We lived to tell about it, could live through it again, probably, but wouldn't make that same choice.
Moving on to the complimentary breakfast the next day …
Good. Not great, but the usual selections with the added interest of small omelets, which we enjoyed. One contained smoked cheese which ran a little salty, but still good. The other, an egg white version, my husband labeled "fluffy". It had some shreds of red and green pepper in it. Other offerings of yogurt, sweet rolls, breads and such appeared as usual. Coffee tasted fresh and hot. We had enough to start our day, which won't bring about many complaints. Just nothing to write home about.
"Eh" is my verdict. There isn't a box to click for that one!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Horseheads Hotel is centrally located to Elmira, Corning and Watkins Glen. Our Horseheads hotel is just minutes away from the National Soaring Museum, the Wings of Eagles Discovery Center, the Corning Museum of Glass, Watkins Glen International Racetrack, the First Arena, the Arnot Mall and many Finger Lakes Wineries. Nestled in the heart of the Finger Lakes Wine Region, you ll find that our conveniently located Holiday Inn Express Horseheads Hotel will make the most of your valuable business and leisure time. The Holiday Inn Express Horseheads hotel is a 99 room, 2-floor indoor corridor hotel. The hotel offers every morning our free Express Start breakfast with hot items. All hotel guest rooms are equipped with free wired high-speed Internet & voice mail. We also offer a seasonal outdoor pool (open Memorial Day through Labor Day) & 24-hour exercise room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, IHG, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads Hotel Horseheads
- Holiday Inn Horseheads
- Horseheads Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads New York