“A nice day trip in the Catskills.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Bangor, Maine
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A nice day trip in the Catskills.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having grown up in the Catskills, I remember visiting Howe Caverns as a fourth grader. I was nervous to think that it may have seemed grander then, because I was smaller. I returned recently with my daughter to find that it is as spectacular as I remember. The tour guides offer a pleasant walk through the Cavern with a bit of history and geology about this spectacular marvel. There are also fun attractions on site including a ropes course, sip line and a crazy ball you can climb in and roll down the hill in. Pack a picnic and make a day of it with the family.

2 Thank Mainelywanderings
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your visit. I am glad you enjoyed the tour as an adult as much as you did as a 4th grader. I remember my first trip here in 1st grade!! Come back and see us again!

Endicott, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A great day trip to the caverns!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We took a day trip from Binghamton, NY to Howe Caverns on a Saturday and the whole family had a wonderful time. Our party consisted of my husband, our 8 year old son, my parents and myself.

We arrived just before 10:00 and had a 15 minute wait for the next tour into the caves. There were no lines this early in the morning and I would recommend trying to get into one of the first tours of the day. When we came back around 3:00 the place was PACKED and it looked like there were long lines for the cave tours.

The tour itself was very informative and the caves are amazing. An elevator takes you down to the cave floor so this tour can be achieved by someone that may not be able to walk up and down a lot of steps. There is a section of the tour where climbing steps is an option, but you can also opt out (as a few of the people on our tour did).

There is a boat ride through part of the caves which my son loved.

The whole tour probably lasted about an hour and 20 minutes. The tours seemed to be running like clock-work with the elevators and boats. We never had to wait for the tour in front of us to move along.

After touring the caves we went to the café for what we figured would be a cafeteria type lunch. Boy were we wrong. The Panini's my husband and I got were beyond delicious and the my mom and dad raved about their burger. My son also loved his pizza. What a great find! And there was no wait at noon!

We ate inside with beautiful views of the area. When we were leaving we noticed a lot of people sitting outside eating, enjoying the beautiful day.

Our last stop was across the street to the adventure park where we all "panned" for gold. My son made his grandma a necklace out of the gems he got. All the employees here were so nice and friendly. They really seemed to like their job.

At the adventure park we also did the rope course and the H20 ball (OMG....do it if you have the chance) and my son did the bungee bounce.

What a great way to spend a summer day! I highly recommend this trip.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your visit. It sounds like you and your family had a blast and hit everything at the right time! I am glad you enjoyed your lunch as well, our Chef's work extremely hard to put out home cooked, healthy lunch options for families. It was so nice of your son to make a necklace for his Grandmother using the gems he panned for, I bet she will treasure it forever! We hope you get the chance to come back and visit us again!
Harpersfield, New York
“Allt More than caves.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

With beautiful views and more than just caverns it great fun. You can use the zip line, and other climbing attracions. You can mine for precious stones and arrowheads. Crack or have cut geodes to find lovely crystals inside. Great gift shop an a nice place to enjoy lunch. I am ready to go back again. Spend a couple hours or the day!

Visited July 2014
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your visit, it sounds like you had a great time! We look forward to your next visit!!
New York City, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Very immature "cavern", other caverns are better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Came here with a group of 3. I am rating this cavern in respects to other that I've been to, namely Indian Echo Caverns and Luray Caverns. Giving this place 3 stars because the caverns was not that impressive. The only thing memorable/unique about this place was the boat ride and the "maze" like pathway towards the end of the tour. The other 2 caverns definitely do not have a boat ride.

A reason for the average rating is that the caverns feels more like a little cave than a cavern. Didn't feel as massive or expansile as the other two. Another reason that the stalagmite, stalactites, flowstone, column, drapery, and straws were all very small. They were like baby versions of the ones I've seen at the other caverns. It also felt like this "cavern" was greatly more affected by us humans than the other two.

One interesting fact is that they age cheese down there. There is a separate room where they age cheese (sharp cheddar to be exact). We didn't get a chance to try it but I'm sure it tastes okay.

It is cold in the "cavern" so please bring a light jacket.

If I had to choose between the 3 caverns I mentioned, I would recommend the other 2 over this one. It's great that I got to see it but not as memorable as the others.

Parking is $2 which was not mentioned on their website. A little shady =P

They also did not have an issue with tripods. Just lag behind in your group and you'll be able to use your tripod =D

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for visiting us. I too have been to Luray Caverns and it is definitely a beautiful cave. The words Cave and Cavern are used interchangeably and do not necessarily define the caves exact make up. Although we may not have as many formations are other caves, every cave is an amazing piece of art formed by mother nature and unique in its own fashion. Also, we offer samples of our cave aged cheese in the sweet shop and the parking fee is listed right on our website on the hours and pricing page.
New Hyde Park, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience except for the ridiculous parking fee!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We visited Howe Caverns on Friday, August 1, 2014. The entrance fee for the four of us was a bit pricey at $100 but the Caverns are a beautiful and unique destination. Our tour guide Ella was excellent, which I'm sure goes a long way towards making this an enjoyable and informative experience. The one major complaint is the newly implemented "parking fee". I hate hidden costs and this one is particularly ridiculous. When I complained to the young lady collecting the parking money she said everyone complains about the fee. The main issue I have is that I drove two hours to reach the caverns which already added to the price of admission. Plus this is not some metropolitan area where parking is at a premium. To have to pay extra to park in an unpaved lot in the middle of God's country is just plain wrong.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your tour, Ella is a great tour guide! I am sorry you were not happy with our parking fee. The fee is definitely is not hidden, it is listed right on our website. This minimal fee enables us to provide a parking lot staff that can help cars park in an organized manner and monitor the safety of pedestrians and other vehicles in the parking lot.