“Bored, annoyed and a lot poorer after our visit!!”
Review of Howe Caverns

Howe Caverns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At the great cave of the Northeast, an elevator takes you 156’below ground. The doors open into a prehistoric underground cavern 6,000,000 years in the making! Trained tour guides help negotiate the cave and teach about its magnificent natural features. Back on the surface, mine for gemstones at Howe Caverns Mining Co. Beginning summer 2011, enjoy the first phase of Howe High Adventures—featuring ropes courses, climbing walls, zip lines and more!
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The cavern was boring, and the cheesy guide did nothing to alleviate the boredom, in fact she was more than annoying. It's very expensive, and I forgot to use my aaa discount when paying, and when I realized my error five minutes later, they did nothing to help me. My son was waiting for the lights to be turned off to see what the complete darkness was like, but no dice, she just skipped over that part. And the h2ogo balls was a blast except that it cost $17 per person for a two minute roll down a hill. So pathetic. Let's just throw on an additional $2 for parking, which is never mentioned anywhere until your already in the parking lot. So for over $200 you can waste your day, and be bored and irritated as a bonus. Go to Indian echo caverns. WAY, WAY BETTER day trip and cavern experience. By the way there is absolutely nothing in the area of howe for at least 45 minutes in any direction, so be sure to bring a snack or else your choice will be to starve, or eat in the disgusting cafeteria on the grounds. Wish I had my day and my money back, so do my kids!

8  Thank Roscommon9
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Wow! That's all we can say....

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We arrived in the middle of a group of over 350 kids from a summer camp. The staff were all very professional and the lines moved quickly. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and had a wonderful personality. the short boat ride in the cave was an unexpected joy would recommend this attraction to anyone with or without children.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your visit! I am so glad you enjoyed your cave tour and were patient with us during our extended wait that day. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I enjoyed everything during our recent visit. I do not have anything negative to say at all. The staff were all wonderful and friendly.

April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you very much for your visit. We pride ourselves on trying to make each and every one of our guests' experience one to remember for a lifetime!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

After seeing the sign for years on the highway we decided to add Howe Caverns to our list of places to see this year. With a 3 and 7 year old in tow, we arrived early on a rainy day and found no line and eager and friendly staff. We bought our tickets and perused the gift shop for a few minutes before our tour began. We knew that the main tour was supposed to be family friendly, but I didn't know what to expect. A brief automated introduction was enjoyable and kept our little ones' attention. This was followed by an elevator ride and a guided walking tour. Our guide had clearly done this tour many times, but was interesting and fun to listen to. The cavern is lit to accentuate interesting features, but the paths are easily visible. Our kids were excited to see the cave and it was fun to hear the history of its discovery and exploration. The boat ride was a fun addition to the experience and was included with the tour. Advanced explorers (over 5 year old) can experience the cave more intimately, but we were unable to do this. Perhaps next time. When we completed the tour we checked out the gift shop and found it to have a nice variety of keepsakes. We also tried the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised to find more than just fried food and burgers. A grilled veggie panini and hand made sandwiches were a pleasant highlight. There is a separate mining exhibit on the other side of the parking lot and zip line tours as well. We did not do either of these on this visit, but may on a future trip. Overall it was a great experience and well worth the trip.

2  Thank pmmatchen

We are glad you finally got a chance to visit us! It seems like you had a fantastic time on your tour and even got to sample some of our tasty homemade Café options. We look forward to your next visit so you can also explore our gemstone mining building and try some of the activities in our adventure park. Until next time!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have been to Howe caverns before and loved it ! But I swore i would be back with my children , now ages 10 and 12 . They had a great time and gave them a chance to experience and appreciate nature . It is so worth it to drive all the way from Massachusetts . Granted we are also visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame but i made sure this would be a major stop.
Please stop the griping about the 2.00 parking fee. It is well worth it !!!!
If you want the kids unglued from the tv, video games, Xbox etc , this is a great place to take them.
We all loved the boat ride !!! Cannot say enough about it . I definitely recommend for everyone , well except if you are claustrophobic. There is a part where you squeeze through very narrow passageways but you will be warned and thus you have the option to sit it out .

2  Thank Chkaen
April I, Manager at Howe Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your visit! I am so glad you were able to share this experience with your children. It is definitely an awesome experience that is both fun and educational at the same time. Thank you for making the trip out from Massachusetts and hopefully you will be able to visit us again sometime!